Family reunion cruise - Canada/NE 2006

We are considering a cruise for the extended family next July ... We will have 11 adults plus 6 kids ranging from 18-5 years old ... The idea of a cruise came up but some of us are really turned off by the idea of a caribbean cruise - not wanting to cruise along w/thousands of people to do shopping at various ports of call... So the idea of a northern cruise - leaving out of nyc, nj, philly, boston or nearby came up as something a little different...

Wondering what experienced cruisers thoughts are on this ... good idea or bad? recommended cruise lines? Ideas to save money? All are welcomed...

Most of use have never cruised before and a few have taken only 1 caribbean cruise- I am the main planner and the only cruising I've done is a couple of transatlantic cruises on the QE2 as part of my job - in the early 90's.

Looking forward to your replies -

rachel

IMHO this is one of the "the" best itineraries and often overlooked.. there is a lot to do in each of the ports of call on this itinerary for all age groups. If you are going in the summer the ships are more limited i.e. "high season" is Sept and October. Check Royal CAribbean (Enchantment of the Seas) and Holland America.. they have a "kids club" on HAL and if the youngers ones in your group know each other they can make their own fun onboard as well.

IMHO this should also be done as a weeklong cruise if possible but again there are too few in midsummer.. Portland, St John (New Brunswick), and Halifax all have "something for everyone" and are not expensive in terms of finding something to do. I'd check cruiseline websites now for ships def. sailing next summer and then post the choices>. I can help more if you know ports of call..

Archived