Donating Supplies to local Schools

mcrmy

Hello all.

I am travelling on my first cruise in June 2014 and I am wanting to donate some school supplies (activity books, teacher resources ect) that I have collected over the years. I have researched online what schools are needing donated items but I am new to this and need more information on, where to drop the items off, who I need to contact before I arrive and do i need to document exactly what I donate????

If anyone has any information that they could share that would be great as I would rather donate these goods than throw them out.

Also the islands we will be stopping at are Noumea, Lifou, Vila

Edited by mcrmy

Hello all.

I am travelling on my first cruise in June 2014 and I am wanting to donate some school supplies (activity books, teacher resources ect) that I have collected over the years. I have researched online what schools are needing donated items but I am new to this and need more information on, where to drop the items off, who I need to contact before I arrive and do i need to document exactly what I donate????

If anyone has any information that they could share that would be great as I would rather donate these goods than throw them out.

there's an old lady at Vila by the name of Chrissy who will take any supplies and give to the local schools, she is at the main gate but not sure what time she gets there, someone else might know

Hello all.

I have never heard of Chrissy collecting for schools, I was under the impression she only collects for the hospital but I could be wrong.

If you go to TripAdvisor and check the forums for Port Vila you will find some very specific threads with contact details for people involved in the schools here in Vila. They can arrange to meet you at the ship to collect donations :)

Thanks for your answers. Some of the threads I have looked at have been posted over a year ago that is why I was looking for updated information.

Anymore information that people have would be much appreciated as I would love to bring SOOOOOOOO much more with me. Who knows I may have to get rid of the other people in my groups clothes and replace them with books LOL :D

Have a great day

Hello all.

If your stop includes Dravuni the tiny school there welcomes anything you can give and when we organised this with 25 other cruisers from our roll call we had a great 2 hours in the school with the children singing for us and enjoying the cricket set and footballs we had given as well as the books and colouring things and plasticine. In fact because we were walking as a line to the school several other cruisers joined with us and they left a little cash to assist as they were not pre primed to bring anything

If your stop includes Dravuni the tiny school there welcomes anything you can give and when we organised this with 25 other cruisers from our roll call we had a great 2 hours in the school with the children singing for us and enjoying the cricket set and footballs we had given as well as the books and colouring things and plasticine. In fact because we were walking as a line to the school several other cruisers joined with us and they left a little cash to assist as they were not pre primed to bring anything

We visited the school at Dravuni Island on our cruise last November. My wife and I donated some money and we took along a bag of about 40 Chuppa-Chups for the kids and gave them all to the teacher to hand out.

If you visit there, you may notice on the outer wall of the smaller building, a list of children tuition payments. There was a young couple just ahead of us who paid up all the outstanding fees for the year so all the kids had a clean slate (so to speak). I thought that was a fantastic guesture and the teacher was very grateful. My wife got great joy out of spending some time with the kids in their classroom.

Dravuni is such a beautiful place. I'd love to go there again.

Edited by Greensteam

Some photos of Dravuni Island and the school.

http://s443.photobucket.com/user/togfantom/library/Dravuni?sort=2&page=1

Another thing the kids loved was a simple bubble making toy, like the bubble mixture filled tube with bubble loop. One of our passengers took one ashore and the kids went crazy chasing the bubbles around.

Thanks for your answers. Some of the threads I have looked at have been posted over a year ago that is why I was looking for updated information.

Anymore information that people have would be much appreciated as I would love to bring SOOOOOOOO much more with me. Who knows I may have to get rid of the other people in my groups clothes and replace them with books LOL :D

Have a great day

I don't know if I can post links here but I do know of some schools that have no funding and would appreciate donations.

I have no affiliation with any of them.

One of the issues we see here is some schools are massively over supplied by donations and others get nothing so I prefer to make my donations direct.

I don't know if I can post links here but I do know of some schools that have no funding and would appreciate donations.

I have no affiliation with any of them.

One of the issues we see here is some schools are massively over supplied by donations and others get nothing so I prefer to make my donations direct.

Hi Bella

Being a local living in Vila you may be able to answer my question: Do you think the schools would prefer CASH donations rather than supplies / sports equipment being given to them?

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if you were to post a link to the schools requiring assistance. It's not as if you'd be suggesting the best Travel Agent to use. :)

Here's a link to the story of an Australian couple helping the locals in Vanuatu.

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/vanuatu-school-needs-aid/1925050/

Thanks - Gae

Edited by gaechann

Hi Bella

Being a local living in Vila you may be able to answer my question: Do you think the schools would prefer CASH donations rather than supplies / sports equipment being given to them?

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if you were to post a link to the schools requiring assistance. It's not as if you'd be suggesting the best Travel Agent to use. :)

Thanks - Gae

Hi Gae,

Yes I do think they would prefer cash :)

There has been a big push over the years for 'books and crayons' and some schools are overflowing with these while other items are non existent.

I'll take a risk and post this link:

https://www.facebook.com/TeoumaEastSchool?fref=ts

I know it's hard to get the right information sometimes. I recently saw someone posting that people should bring toothbrushes to donate to the kids here instead of lollies. If people want to do this I suggest they buy them here since we only pay 50vt for OralB or 60vt for Colgate, a lot cheaper than they can be bought in Australia ;)

Hi Bella

Here's a link to the story of an Australian couple helping the locals in Vanuatu.

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/vanuatu-school-needs-aid/1925050/

Thanks - Gae

I clicked your link after I replied, seems we have linked to the same school :)

I would have concerns about the donated cash going to the educational cause. A lot of corruption in the Pacific Islands.

But then I am a suspicious person.

Edited by NSWP

I would have concerns about the donated cash going to the educational cause. A lot of corruption in the Pacific Islands.

But then I am a suspicious person.

If that is an issue then I would suggest you visit or contact the school and ask what they are in need of, purchase it and donate it.

I think the 'corruption' here is overstated and can be put in the same basket as 'everyone raises their prices on a cruise ship day' ;)

If that is an issue then I would suggest you visit or contact the school and ask what they are in need of, purchase it and donate it.

I think the 'corruption' here is overstated and can be put in the same basket as 'everyone raises their prices on a cruise ship day' ;)

Fair comment re the corruption, will take that on board. But don't some traders all over the world raise their prices on cruise ships days ?

Edited by NSWP

I left a message on their Facebook page asking what they needed as so many Australians visit their Island and would love to help out however they can.

Here's the reply I received to my question on the Teouma East School Facebook page:

Teouma East School wrote: "Most of the tourists that come here are Aussies - or New Zealanders, I think the figures say 80% Australians. Supplies or cash is great. I have actually just sent an email to past visitors for cash donations. The school is run solely by donations - and as yet we dont have much for the new year. The school was closed just after we found them because the parents couldnt pay the fees, and we managed to keep them open for a whole year last year with generous support and donations, My spare room is now a warehouse of supplies, but money is needed even if only to pay the teachers wages, and we are hoping to open a year one class also this year. My email is russ.kim2@gmail.com if you want to email for more info and/or bank details - greatly appreciated, thank you x"

I'm sure we can help out with a little donation! :D

Fair comment re the corruption, will take that on board. But don't some traders all over the world raise their prices on cruise ships days ?

There probably are but I am yet to see it for myself in Port Vila. I think it's one of those things that may have been common in the past and people still believe it's true.

Here's the reply I received to my question on the Teouma East School Facebook page:

Teouma East School wrote: "Most of the tourists that come here are Aussies - or New Zealanders, I think the figures say 80% Australians. Supplies or cash is great. I have actually just sent an email to past visitors for cash donations. The school is run solely by donations - and as yet we dont have much for the new year. The school was closed just after we found them because the parents couldnt pay the fees, and we managed to keep them open for a whole year last year with generous support and donations, My spare room is now a warehouse of supplies, but money is needed even if only to pay the teachers wages, and we are hoping to open a year one class also this year. My email is russ.kim2@gmail.com if you want to email for more info and/or bank details - greatly appreciated, thank you x"

I'm sure we can help out with a little donation! :D

I support a great group here that does education and preventive wound care in the villages and I post for donations of things like waterproof bandaids, bandages and antiseptics on a lot of the cruise pages on Facebook. This is an emerging country and it feels good to be able to help a little in our adopted home :)

Might be a good forum to spread the word for schools as well Gae :)