Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Looking at cruise at the end of April 2017 for our 25th anniversary, how cold will it be?

Also will the crossing from Southmapton on either Brittania/Eclipse/Aurora be really rough? Normally cruise the Med in August 😀

Edited by gailjen

Limousine west - He is a character:D I am sure you will have a fun day with him. PS, he has a traditional limousine so you will sit low and the windows in those car might not be the best for viewing the scenery as you are driving.

In Geiranger there is a company called Geiranger Taxi:

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/en-GB/Default.aspx

In Ålesund you have the choice of Ålesund Taxi:

http://www.alesund-taxi.no/

There are really not many or any private companies doing these tours. Its a shame as someone should start up a company soon ;-)

I believe as it would be a better use of your time to do the Troll Road from Ålesund. It will be longer and probably more expensive but well worth the drive.

You do have the option of renting a car too. I know Ålesund Taxi is expensive.

In Geiranger I would do what you already have planned; The Eagle Bends and its viewpoint, Flydalsjuvet viewoint, Mt. Dalsnibba.

If you rent a car or hire a driver I would suggest to drive the short distance to Eidsvatnet (Eidslake). Its only a 5-10 minute drive from The Eagle bends viewpoint but the narrow valley and high mountains are very dramatic. The lake itself is very stunning and peaceful.

You also might want to do the river/waterfall walk from Union Hotel to "downtown" Geiranger. It opened last weekend and it is suppose to be a wonderful experience. Lots of lookout points where you have the feeling of standing in the middle of the waterfall/river...

A different place to have lunch is at the Westerås farm. Local home made cooking. They also have alfresco seating. The cafe/restaurant is in the old barn.

As you can see you have lots of options to fill your day in Geiranger.

I am sure it will be perfect.

Lars:)

I have been reading all your posts and am truly amazed at how kind and thoughtful you are to take the time to do this. We are torn between two things to do in Alesund and keep going back and forth between touring the town itself with its awesome look out (and 418 steps for my DH to climb - he would actually love that) and a 8 hr bus ride on the troll road. Is there any way to do both? In other countries we have found private tours to customize a day for us but after reading your comment above, I'm thinking they don't exist in Norway. And I think DH would be nervous to rent a car and drive there.

We are on the NCL Jade and will be there July 18 from 8:00 - 5:00. Our only other stop in Norway is Bergen. Still undecided about that port but I saw your link (http://www.rodne.no/en/) and found the Rødne Fjord Cruise. Your fjord pictures are incredible. Will we see that kind of thing sailing between Alesund and Bergen or must we go farther inland?

Please advise how best to spend only 2 days in Norway before heading off to Iceland.

Thank you

Jane

Hi I-Cruiser, Thank you for all the information you have provided to past passengers (very helpful to future passengers such as myself). We will be cruising Norwegian Fjords in 2017 and will be in Alesund and Geiranger 7 & 8 June which is early in the season. Looking at a new tour company (Norway Excursions) and their tours: Alesund from Fjords to Trolls and one of the three the Geiranger tours (Dalsnibba or Herbal Farm or Westeras). Are you aware of this tour company? I sent them an email asking general enquiries such as the number of max. passengers in their tours but have had no response (warning bells are sounding). Also just wondering whether the 'Troll'Rd and roads to the Geiranger tours will definitely be open by the date of our arrival; they have their tour dates already showing. From your previous posts it seems we are better to book a later morning tour to allow for any fog to lift (if we have a fine weather). (I am unfamiliar with postings so I hope I have completed this correctly). Helen

Hi Helen,

Sorry it has taken me to long to reply.

You care posting perfectly:):)

I have never heard about this company. Their website and their offerings looks good but if they dont reply in a timely manner I doubt their professionalism.

Maybe this company could help you:

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/en-GB/Hoydepunkter.aspx

I would think Trollstigen and the road to Mt. Dalsnibba will be open in the beginning of June. But, we never will know for sure before a few weeks before. As you can appreciate the weather conditions are very unstable in this area.

I would suggest tours late morning/early afternoon.

Lars:-)

Looking at cruise at the end of April 2017 for our 25th anniversary, how cold will it be?

Also will the crossing from Southmapton on either Brittania/Eclipse/Aurora be really rough? Normally cruise the Med in August 😀

End of April is still late winter/Very early Spring.

It will be cold probably with some snow. Hopefully with some sunny days.

This early in the season you could face some rough seas crossing the North Sea.

I have been reading all your posts and am truly amazed at how kind and thoughtful you are to take the time to do this. We are torn between two things to do in Alesund and keep going back and forth between touring the town itself with its awesome look out (and 418 steps for my DH to climb - he would actually love that) and a 8 hr bus ride on the troll road. Is there any way to do both? In other countries we have found private tours to customize a day for us but after reading your comment above, I'm thinking they don't exist in Norway. And I think DH would be nervous to rent a car and drive there.

We are on the NCL Jade and will be there July 18 from 8:00 - 5:00. Our only other stop in Norway is Bergen. Still undecided about that port but I saw your link (http://www.rodne.no/en/) and found the Rødne Fjord Cruise. Your fjord pictures are incredible. Will we see that kind of thing sailing between Alesund and Bergen or must we go farther inland?

Please advise how best to spend only 2 days in Norway before heading off to Iceland.

Thank you

Jane

Jane - Thank you for your kind words.

With 2 days you have to pick and choose.

In Bergen you could do a fjord cruise as mentioned in the link or explore the city. Its a beautiful city.

Best would be the fjord cruise and explore some of Bergen like the Hanseatic warf area - Bryggen.

In Ålesund you could do the Trollroad and Mt Aksla. The best advice would be to get a tour that includes both. I doubt very much you have time to do the Trollroad and climb the steps to the viewpoint.

This company could possibly help with a private tour:

http://turistbussen.no/

post@turistbussen.no

This site is only in Norwegian but I included an email.

Another company to try is:

I hope they can help you with a tour to Trollstigen or a trip to Geiranger. As those 2 places would be the top picks with your schedule.

It will be a tight as Ålesund - Geiranger - Ålesund is approx 5 hrs round trip excluding stops. The same going r/t Ålesund - Trollstigen.

It can be done but it will be a busy day.

:)Hi everyone ...I'm looking to book a cruise to see the Norweigen Fjords and hopefully some onshore visits. If it was just me and the other half I'm pretty sure I would book Hurtigen and fly over, as we'd want to be off walking and exploring onshore everyday! And we love mixing and matching travel and stays during a trip...But we have 2 children 7 and 8 I've found that style of travelling quite tiring!! We've not had many trips since having the children...but we did one all inclusinve holiday (the first in our lives) and it was a real hit with the kids and everyone came away happy and rested!! So I think I'm going to go with a cruise from the UK that'll have lots for them to do onboard also. I've looked at celebrity cruises and NCL...just looking for help with everything!!...I so far spent about 15 hours on line researching, price comparing and I'm more confused than ever!!

Celebrity, Princess or NCL?

Balcony or not?

If balcony how much of a pain is obstructed view?

Drinks package or not??

When do I know I've found a good deal??

My husband usually plans all of our trips, but I've taken control of this as a surprise for his 40th.

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. I've read loads on the forums and found loads of info and advice that I wouldn't have thought about! Just feeling anxious as I'm close to committing lots of our savings and don't want to make a disappointing choice!! Thanks:)

Jane - Thank you for your kind words.

With 2 days you have to pick and choose.

In Bergen you could do a fjord cruise as mentioned in the link or explore the city. Its a beautiful city.

Best would be the fjord cruise and explore some of Bergen like the Hanseatic warf area - Bryggen.

In Ålesund you could do the Trollroad and Mt Aksla. The best advice would be to get a tour that includes both. I doubt very much you have time to do the Trollroad and climb the steps to the viewpoint.

This company could possibly help with a private tour:

http://turistbussen.no/

post@turistbussen.no

This site is only in Norwegian but I included an email.

Another company to try is:

I hope they can help you with a tour to Trollstigen or a trip to Geiranger. As those 2 places would be the top picks with your schedule.

It will be a tight as Ålesund - Geiranger - Ålesund is approx 5 hrs round trip excluding stops. The same going r/t Ålesund - Trollstigen.

It can be done but it will be a busy day.

Thanks for the great advice. We are going to do both in Alesund. With a minibus of only 15 people, things should go faster on the Trollstigen tour and then it can drive us to the top of Aksla and around town a bit. DH will have to miss doing the steps.

Still undecided about a fjord tour in Bergen. I've heard it's famous for rain and not sure I want to commit to a cruise on the water if it's raining. It sounds like there's lots to do right from the ship and maybe we could book a cruise that day if it's sunny?

Speaking for everyone, what you're doing here is truly awesome!

Jane

:)Hi everyone ...I'm looking to book a cruise to see the Norweigen Fjords and hopefully some onshore visits. If it was just me and the other half I'm pretty sure I would book Hurtigen and fly over, as we'd want to be off walking and exploring onshore everyday! And we love mixing and matching travel and stays during a trip...But we have 2 children 7 and 8 I've found that style of travelling quite tiring!! We've not had many trips since having the children...but we did one all inclusinve holiday (the first in our lives) and it was a real hit with the kids and everyone came away happy and rested!! So I think I'm going to go with a cruise from the UK that'll have lots for them to do onboard also. I've looked at celebrity cruises and NCL...just looking for help with everything!!...I so far spent about 15 hours on line researching, price comparing and I'm more confused than ever!!

Celebrity, Princess or NCL?

Balcony or not?

If balcony how much of a pain is obstructed view?

Drinks package or not??

When do I know I've found a good deal??

My husband usually plans all of our trips, but I've taken control of this as a surprise for his 40th.

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. I've read loads on the forums and found loads of info and advice that I wouldn't have thought about! Just feeling anxious as I'm close to committing lots of our savings and don't want to make a disappointing choice!! Thanks:)

Hi...sorry I had a couple of windows open and posted in completely the wrong place!

Thanks for the great advice. We are going to do both in Alesund. With a minibus of only 15 people, things should go faster on the Trollstigen tour and then it can drive us to the top of Aksla and around town a bit. DH will have to miss doing the steps.

Still undecided about a fjord tour in Bergen. I've heard it's famous for rain and not sure I want to commit to a cruise on the water if it's raining. It sounds like there's lots to do right from the ship and maybe we could book a cruise that day if it's sunny?

Speaking for everyone, what you're doing here is truly awesome!

Jane

Jane - It does tend to rain lots in Bergen. Cruising in Norway is a case of seeing and doing what you want to do regardless of the weather.

I always say; prepare for rain and if its sunny you are lucky.

Sure, you can always try to book a tour on the day of arrival.

If its fully booked you will have a day exploring Bergen.

Bergen has a lot of interesting things to offer. As mentioned the Hanseatic wharf area Bryggen, Fløybanen (funicular), Trollhaugen (home of the composer Grieg)....You will have no problem filling your day.

A minibuss for 15 sounds like a great idea. If you do a circle it should take you 6,5 hrs without stops.

Backtracking will take approx 5 hrs without stops.

An option could also be not to drive down the Trollstigen itself but stop at the viewing plateau and spend 30 minutes there.

I am planning a Norway cruise for either June or August of 2017 and had a few questions.

Which month is preferable from a weather/view standpoint. The June cruise is Midnight Sun and the August cruise is North Cape?

Are the seas around Norway usually rough or is it just dependent on the weather? I have cruised the Med but have not cruised this far north.

Carolyn

Kidder Kid

I am planning a Norway cruise for either June or August of 2017 and had a few questions.

Which month is preferable from a weather/view standpoint. The June cruise is Midnight Sun and the August cruise is North Cape?

Are the seas around Norway usually rough or is it just dependent on the weather? I have cruised the Med but have not cruised this far north.

Carolyn

Kidder Kid

Carolyn - You will have more daylight in June (24 hrs). If early in June some of the tour companies might not be operating yet as the season really kicks off in the middle of June.

Same with August as the season really slows down from the middle of the month.

Hard to say which month has the best weather. August might be a bit warmer then June. But, as for the chance of rain both months are just as likely.

I would prefer June as I love the 24 hrs daylight and the feeling of late spring early summer.

The seas around Norway are usually smooth. You might experiance some motions cruising to/from the continent.

Are there any difference in ports?

Are both cruises cruising up to Northern Norway?

Lars

Lars -

Thanks for your response. I am leaning toward the August cruise. Both cruises go as far as Honningsvag and the only difference in itinerary is that the June cruise goes to Skjolden and the August cruise goes to Geirangerfjord.

You mentioned both months as the same amount of rain - is it usually very rainy during the summer months?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Carolyn

Lars -

Thanks for your response. I am leaning toward the August cruise. Both cruises go as far as Honningsvag and the only difference in itinerary is that the June cruise goes to Skjolden and the August cruise goes to Geirangerfjord.

You mentioned both months as the same amount of rain - is it usually very rainy during the summer months?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Carolyn

Well, Geiranger is important.

Rain is very usually during the summer months on the western coast.

June is drier than August but cooler.

According to the statistics Bergen has a chance of 19 days with rain in August but the North Cape has 10 days.

Prepare for rain. Pack windbreakers and/or raincoats.

The temperatures in northern Norway will be cooler then in the south so gloves and skiing hat would be recommended.

Know of any fishing guides or charters in Alesund? There are 3 or us hoping to experience a little fishing up there while in Port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When are you here (date, month) Some of these tours dont start before mid June.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks...

I presume you are talking Kroner coins...??

something which we cannot get unless we shop I suppose...

Could be Bit difficult going on a tour bus without them:o

Of course NOK Currency - this is Norway ;-)

Tour busses tends to stop at free facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I knew that...lol.

..was probably hoping it might have been some coins we already had from our past travels.

Thanks for the tip with bus stops.

I knew you knew ;)

I recon you will manage by changing NOK 200 into coins:-)...I presume it will depend on how often you would have to go:D:D:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sorry I'm a little slow, but thank you for your reply. Glad to hear that's one less thing to worry about.

We probably won't do this trip until 2018, but I want to book as soon as it becomes available, and I'm sure I'll be back many times. Thank you in advance for the help you give here.

Sue

Sue - Its never to early to start planning:) The 2018 itineraries will be out in not to many months.

Looking forward to see you back here.

And guess who just booked a Norwegian Fjords cruise for May 2018? ME!! :D

Sue