Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

I just booked an 11 night Norwegian fjords, Iceland and Scotland cruise which departs Dover June 28th! My son and are are so excited to see Norway and Iceland. Alesund looks just beautiful! We were thinking of walking around the town and maybe doing a kayaking tour. Do you have any input on the kayaking? Also, any recommendations for a lunch spot close to town/port? We would like to try local foods on out trip.

One more question, I am a planner so trying to figure out what I need to pack for this trip. Beside preparing for rain any suggestions for end of June weather? It 47f today here in NJ so thinking that may be comparable to Norway/Iceland.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just booked an 11 night Norwegian fjords, Iceland and Scotland cruise which departs Dover June 28th! My son and are are so excited to see Norway and Iceland. Alesund looks just beautiful! I am a planner so trying to figure out what I need to pack for this trip. Beside preparing for rain any suggestions for end of June weather? It 47f today here in NJ so thinking that may be comparable to Norway/Iceland.

Appreciate these good questions. On weather in this area, be flexible and prepared. Consider layering!! It can be cooler in the morning and evenings. Warm up mid-day. That late June-July period is generally fairly good, but things can change and/or vary. Since you are departing from Dover, are you going to spend some in that area ahead of your cruise to enjoy maybe some of the great historic sights, gardens, castles, famed homes, etc., in this Kent/south of London region? Need more tips and ideas for pre-cruise options?

Yes, Alesund can be wonderful. Make sure you get up to that mountain-top viewing location. See an example below as "proof/evidence" for why visiting there can be nice.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 206,294 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

I just booked an 11 night Norwegian fjords, Iceland and Scotland cruise which departs Dover June 28th! My son and are are so excited to see Norway and Iceland. Alesund looks just beautiful! We were thinking of walking around the town and maybe doing a kayaking tour. Do you have any input on the kayaking? Also, any recommendations for a lunch spot close to town/port? We would like to try local foods on out trip.

One more question, I am a planner so trying to figure out what I need to pack for this trip. Beside preparing for rain any suggestions for end of June weather? It 47f today here in NJ so thinking that may be comparable to Norway/Iceland.

Thanks for your help!

Hi there :-) Good to see you on my thread. Its always exciting to have booked a cruise isnt it? For sure something to look forward to.

There is a kayaking outlet right in town by Brosundet. They do tours and you can also rent kayaks and explore on your own.

The best scenery would be to kayak Brosundet (the canal) over to the lighthouse. Then back via the canal and the bridges to the fjord (Borgundfjorden)

I enclose a link to the "Kayak More Tomorrow" tour company.

http://kayakmoretomorrow.com/index.php/kmt-aalesund/day-trips-alesund

There are good lunch spots in town. My favorite is cate/expressobar "Invit" at Apotekergaten. They have views to Brosundet. They also have a raft type of boat with tables etc. Perfect spot for lunch.

They make their own food from scratch. Not everything is typical Norwegian but its tasty.

June should be good. I would plan to pack for dressing in layers. Bring a fleece jacket just in case. Since you have 47F today that makes for an average summer temperature here:D

Its hard to tell about the weather. Bring t-shirts. Longs sleeve sweaters.

It really should not be that cold.

Let me know if you have any other questions :-)

Lars

Hi there :-) Good to see you on my thread. Its always exciting to have booked a cruise isnt it? For sure something to look forward to.

There is a kayaking outlet right in town by Brosundet. They do tours and you can also rent kayaks and explore on your own.

The best scenery would be to kayak Brosundet (the canal) over to the lighthouse. Then back via the canal and the bridges to the fjord (Borgundfjorden)

I enclose a link to the "Kayak More Tomorrow" tour company.

http://kayakmoretomorrow.com/index.php/kmt-aalesund/day-trips-alesund

There are good lunch spots in town. My favorite is cate/expressobar "Invit" at Apotekergaten. They have views to Brosundet. They also have a raft type of boat with tables etc. Perfect spot for lunch.

They make their own food from scratch. Not everything is typical Norwegian but its tasty.

June should be good. I would plan to pack for dressing in layers. Bring a fleece jacket just in case. Since you have 47F today that makes for an average summer temperature here:D

Its hard to tell about the weather. Bring t-shirts. Longs sleeve sweaters.

It really should not be that cold.

Let me know if you have any other questions :-)

Lars

Thanks for your reply! I do love and cruise and the planning is so much fun!

The weather today is not bad and if that's your summer weather then I will be well prepared.

We will definitely try "Invit" for lunch. I know we can eat on the ship but we will be on there for 11 days so would like to eat someplace local.

How far is it from the port to the steps to walk to the top of Aksla? It's is easy to find from the port?

Thanks for your reply! I do love and cruise and the planning is so much fun!

The weather today is not bad and if that's your summer weather then I will be well prepared.

We will definitely try "Invit" for lunch. I know we can eat on the ship but we will be on there for 11 days so would like to eat someplace local.

How far is it from the port to the steps to walk to the top of Aksla? It's is easy to find from the port?

We also do tend to eat of the ships to try local dishes. Thats part of the experience.

You will se Mt. Aksla and the steps from where you are docking.

Its a 15 minute walk from the pier to the foot of the stairs at "By Parken" (The City Park). There are signs leading to the stairs so its easy to find.

If not, walk up Storgaten to Scandic Parken Hotel. The park is right there.

Its a small town so you will not miss it.

I enclose a map with two easy routes to the foot of the stairs.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Terminalen,+Keiser+Wilhelms+gate,+%C3%85lesund/Byparken+i+%C3%85lesund,+6003+%C3%85lesund/@62.4723107,6.1532108,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da387c585fdb:0x714f044f6b459fde!2m2!1d6.1529661!2d62.4702287!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da4145bd86dd:0x8fc2c7607d257013!2m2!1d6.1629002!2d62.4739255!3e2

We also do tend to eat of the ships to try local dishes. Thats part of the experience.

You will se Mt. Aksla and the steps from where you are docking.

Its a 15 minute walk from the pier to the foot of the stairs at "By Parken" (The City Park). There are signs leading to the stairs so its easy to find.

If not, walk up Storgaten to Scandic Parken Hotel. The park is right there.

Its a small town so you will not miss it.

I enclose a map with two easy routes to the foot of the stairs.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Terminalen,+Keiser+Wilhelms+gate,+%C3%85lesund/Byparken+i+%C3%85lesund,+6003+%C3%85lesund/@62.4723107,6.1532108,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da387c585fdb:0x714f044f6b459fde!2m2!1d6.1529661!2d62.4702287!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da4145bd86dd:0x8fc2c7607d257013!2m2!1d6.1629002!2d62.4739255!3e2

Great - Thank you!

Appreciate these good questions. On weather in this area, be flexible and prepared. Consider layering!! It can be cooler in the morning and evenings. Warm up mid-day. That late June-July period is generally fairly good, but things can change and/or vary. Since you are departing from Dover, are you going to spend some in that area ahead of your cruise to enjoy maybe some of the great historic sights, gardens, castles, famed homes, etc., in this Kent/south of London region? Need more tips and ideas for pre-cruise options?

Yes, Alesund can be wonderful. Make sure you get up to that mountain-top viewing location. See an example below as "proof/evidence" for why visiting there can be nice.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 206,294 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Wonderful picture! I can't wait to see it in person.

As the picture posted is an old picture you will notice some changes.

Where that cruise ship is docked there is now a new pier with a terminal building.

Next to the pier and ship (where you see the white house) are booths for tourist information and hop on/off bus and train.

You can take the bus or train to Mt. Aksla if you do not wish to walk the 400 and so steps.

The dock area with the bus terminal will undergo major refurbishment in the coming years. Work might have started by the time you visit.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi Lars,

Your posts about Alesund and Norway have been invaluable.

I have booked a Trollstigen tour from Alesund for Wednesday, July 26, departing Alesund 10:30 am, returning to Alesund around 6:30 pm. I had to book these times as my cruise ship does not arrive in Alesund until 10 am on July 26.

I think most of the stores and museums in Alesund close around 4 or 5 pm.

Do you have any site-viewing recommendations to see Alesund as late as 6:30 or 7 pm Wednesday evening? Would it be safe to walk up Mt. Aksla at that time? I am traveling solo so safety is a concern.

PS. I know it is early to book this tour, but I am very excited about visiting Norway and especially to do the Trollstigen trip.

Thanks again for all your help.

As the picture posted is an old picture you will notice some changes.

Where that cruise ship is docked there is now a new pier with a terminal building.

Next to the pier and ship (where you see the white house) are booths for tourist information and hop on/off bus and train.

You can take the bus or train to Mt. Aksla if you do not wish to walk the 400 and so steps.

The dock area with the bus terminal will undergo major refurbishment in the coming years. Work might have started by the time you visit.

Thank you for all the detailed information!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have one day in Molde at the end of June. I don't yet know what the ship excursions are but I've been researching in case I don't want to do any of them or in case I find something better. I've identified a couple of options and can't decide which to do or if I can fit more than one of them in. Looking for suggestions.

1. Varden Panorama (either walk up and back or taxi up and walk back)

2. Romsdal Museum

3. NORLED boat which visits 4 coastal stops in the area (Romsdal route, about an hour long)

4. Eide auto has a bus that goes over the Atlantic Ocean Road and back.

5. Other? Something else entirely?

Any thoughts on which of these to put together to make a good day? Thanks. I'd also be perfectly happy signing up for a tour or a guide; I just don't see anything.

We stopped at Molde last July. It is a small town and the ship did not offer any excursions. I also researched options 1-4 but did not find any of them appealing. We decided to rent a car and drove to Trollstigen. The route was very scenic and easy, and this turned out to be one of the best days in our entire cruise.

Hi Lars,

I have booked a Trollstigen tour from Alesund for Wednesday, July 26, departing Alesund 10:30 am, returning to Alesund around 6:30 pm. I had to book these times as my cruise ship does not arrive in Alesund until 10 am on July 26.

Do you have any site-viewing recommendations to see Alesund as late as 6:30 or 7 pm Wednesday evening? Would it be safe to walk up Mt. Aksla at that time? I am traveling solo so safety is a concern.

PS. I know it is early to book this tour, but I am very excited about visiting Norway and especially to do the Trollstigen trip.

Yes, you are right that stores and museums closes at 4pm/5pm.

It will be safe walking up to Mt.Aksla as you will benefit from almost 24 hrs of daylight.

You will also notice there will be lots of people around and about all evening. Both in town and on the stairs up to the Mt.

A nice walk would be to cross Brosundet over to Apotekergaten and onto Moloveien with its tiny wooden houses. The must see site is the lighthouse.

Do make a point of spending time in this area as it has a fairytale feel to it. Brosundet (the canal running through the town) is stunning in any kind of weather. I live in this area and love walking around taking in the architecture.

From Moloveien its a 10 minute walk to the old stone church.

I also like to walk by the inner harbour and the pedestrian road (Kongens gate). You can do this before or after climbing the stairs to Aksla as its en route.

if you are feeling adventurous you can take a taxi to the open air museum about a 5 minute ride outside town. Its a nice quiet place to spend a few hrs.

We have one day in Molde at the end of June. I don't yet know what the ship excursions are but I've been researching in case I don't want to do any of them or in case I find something better. I've identified a couple of options and can't decide which to do or if I can fit more than one of them in. Looking for suggestions.

1. Varden Panorama (either walk up and back or taxi up and walk back)

2. Romsdal Museum

3. NORLED boat which visits 4 coastal stops in the area (Romsdal route, about an hour long)

4. Eide auto has a bus that goes over the Atlantic Ocean Road and back.

5. Other? Something else entirely?

Any thoughts on which of these to put together to make a good day? Thanks. I'd also be perfectly happy signing up for a tour or a guide; I just don't see anything.

To be honest I think the best option here is the Atlantic Rd.

It is a top attraction and a marvel. I would think the tour will make stops along the road and also at the settlement of Bud.

If you like architecture then a visit to Romsdal Museum to view their new administration building is a must. Its been hailed as very unique and innovative.

Sure, there are things to do in and close to Molde but the big attractions are outside the town.

I-Cruiser,

Regarding your recommendation to see the Atlantic Road outside of Molde, what do you think of kayaking the southern islands (ship's description of one Molde excursion), or alternatively, visiting the Bergatt Marble Caves (another ship excursion option in Molde)?

If kayaking offers scenic views and wildlife, that kind of appeals to me. I don't know about the Caves other than what I read on Trip Advisor. If you think the Caves are a must-see, I would do that.

Of all these things, do you still recommend that Atlantic Road? I looked at some good videos of the Road on YouTube, but the videos did not cover Bud, which sounds interesting.

Hi Lars,

How much does your Trollstigen tour cost?

I-Cruiser,

Regarding your recommendation to see the Atlantic Road outside of Molde, what do you think of kayaking the southern islands (ship's description of one Molde excursion), or alternatively, visiting the Bergatt Marble Caves (another ship excursion option in Molde)?

If kayaking offers scenic views and wildlife, that kind of appeals to me. I don't know about the Caves other than what I read on Trip Advisor. If you think the Caves are a must-see, I would do that.

Of all these things, do you still recommend that Atlantic Road? I looked at some good videos of the Road on YouTube, but the videos did not cover Bud, which sounds interesting.

I do love kayaking and being able to be so close to nature. With the southern islands does the tour explain which ones? Are they talking about the islands og Hjertøya, Seterøya and Fårøya?

http://www.fjordnorway.com/things-to-do/kayaking-with-did-adventure-p787003

If the caves are part of the Atlantic rd tour then, yes, do go as it is en route.

I would not make a trip exclusively to see the caves. Personally I dont find them a must see. Interesting but not important.

With all this lovely nature you have so many other options.

Bud is a small quaint fishing settlement at the beginning of the Atlantic rd. Its a tiny little place so maybe they dont cater for larger busses??

I enclose a link to Bud. its in Norwegian only bu I hope you can make something out of it.

http://www.visit-bud.no/

To arrange private tours you could contact Møre guides at the link below.

Hopefully they are able to help you with a private tour.

http://moereguide.com/index.php/en/contact-us

Lars:)

And guess who just booked a Norwegian Fjords cruise for May 2018? ME!! :D

Sue

Congratulations[emoji4][emoji4]

Now you have 1,5 years to plan it all.

Who's the lucky cruiseline..??..and itinerary?

We are cruising with Celebrity on a new itinerary on the Eclipse. It's an 8 night cruise that departs from Dublin :D, with 4 ports in Norway (Bergen, Skjolden, Geiranger, and Alesund) and the Shetland Islands. I'd originally wanted to book a cruise that would take us further north, but I didn't have enough vacation to spare, and so we'll have to keep that trip in my bucket list. I'm really excited to be sailing out of Dublin because I'll take any excuse to visit Ireland (my heritage is Irish and we've been there several times).

Sue

Sue, thats an interesting itinerary. Like the fact that it stops in the Shetland islands and the lesser known port Skjolden.

It sure is unusual to start/end a cruise in Ireland. But I do see the attraction.

I really would like to go back to visit.

144.9 euros. I booked at norwayexcursions.com.

Norway excursions has received great reviews for the quality of their tours and their good service.

The do private tours for over 10 persons.

They also have arranged tours to join.

They cover Ålesund, Åndalsnes, Olden, Tromsø and Geiranger.

Group bookings are available in the ports of Bergen, Molde, Kristiansund, Trondheim and Tromsø.

http://www.norwayexcursions.com/en/

Edited by I-Cruiser

I do love kayaking and being able to be so close to nature. With the southern islands does the tour explain which ones? Are they talking about the islands og Hjertøya, Seterøya and Fårøya?

http://www.fjordnorway.com/things-to-do/kayaking-with-did-adventure-p787003

If the caves are part of the Atlantic rd tour then, yes, do go as it is en route.

I would not make a trip exclusively to see the caves. Personally I dont find them a must see. Interesting but not important.

With all this lovely nature you have so many other options.

Bud is a small quaint fishing settlement at the beginning of the Atlantic rd. Its a tiny little place so maybe they dont cater for larger busses??

I enclose a link to Bud. its in Norwegian only bu I hope you can make something out of it.

http://www.visit-bud.no/

To arrange private tours you could contact Møre guides at the link below.

Hopefully they are able to help you with a private tour.

http://moereguide.com/index.php/en/contact-us

Lars:)

Hi Lars,

This is extremely helpful. I will probably do the Southern Island kayaking out of Molde. I tried to contact Moereguide twice by completing and sending their on line form but I received no response. Maybe the form is not working properly. This week I will try sending them an email directly, though it is also possible they are away or busy during the holiday season. Frankly, I would prefer an afternoon trip to Bud and environs with Moereguide if it is not too expensive.

Best wishes for a happy holiday and thank you again for all your wonderful advice.

Hi Lars,

This is extremely helpful. I will probably do the Southern Island kayaking out of Molde. I tried to contact Moereguide twice by completing and sending their on line form but I received no response. Maybe the form is not working properly. This week I will try sending them an email directly, though it is also possible they are away or busy during the holiday season. Frankly, I would prefer an afternoon trip to Bud and environs with Moereguide if it is not too expensive.

Best wishes for a happy holiday and thank you again for all your wonderful advice.

I hope they will reply soon. I have heard companies in the area can be slow at responding.

Thank you for you kind words and Merry Christmas to you.

Lars:-)

Hi Lars - I am making my way through all these pages and really enjoying all your valuable information. We are going on an NCL cruise in August to Alesund, Geiranger, Flam, Stavanger and Haugesund. I noticed on one of your posts you mentioned that people could take the boat tour in Flam and stop at Undredal and see the Stave Church - is that correct? I really wanted to see it and have been trying to find a taxi to take us there, but if we can get there from the Gudvangen boat that would be great! Thanks!