Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Hi Lars, first of all thank you for this fantastic repository of information, it’s very kind of you to take the time to help out your fellow cruisers in this way :).

We are looking at booking the Celebrity Eclipse sailing from Dublin in late May 2018; the Norwegian ports are Bergen, Skjolden, Geiranger, and Alesund. Can you please give me some idea of what weather we can expect at that time of year? Coming from Ireland, we are used to cold weather but it would be nice to have sunshine at least!

Secondly, it was mentioned in this thread that May would be before the start of the tourist season and there would be fewer facilities open at that time, as opposed to later in the season. Do you think it would be difficult to arrange private tours in these ports at that time of year? We always prefer to go on private tours rather than those organised by the ship.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me Lars, your help would be much appreciated.

Eloise

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am taking a group of 15 people on board a Princess Cruise through the Norwegian Fjords this summer, with a stop in Skjolden/Sognefjord, Norway. The ship only offers 3 tours in this port and each one seems to be a sedentary bus panoramic tour (two with a church visit - not my thing). I am looking for an alternative; some soft adventure or at least something a little more active than a bus tour. Any suggestions are appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Lars - I am making my way through all these pages and really enjoying all your valuable information. We are going on an NCL cruise in August to Alesund, Geiranger, Flam, Stavanger and Haugesund. I noticed on one of your posts you mentioned that people could take the boat tour in Flam and stop at Undredal and see the Stave Church - is that correct? I really wanted to see it and have been trying to find a taxi to take us there, but if we can get there from the Gudvangen boat that would be great! Thanks!

Yes, its a trip by boat and bus or r/t boat.

Undredal is a stop on the tour to Nærøyfjord.

Here is a link to the tours:https://www.visitflam.com/en/se-og-gjore/pakker/fjord-cruise-naroyfjord-rundtur/

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi Lars, first of all thank you for this fantastic repository of information, it’s very kind of you to take the time to help out your fellow cruisers in this way :).

We are looking at booking the Celebrity Eclipse sailing from Dublin in late May 2018; the Norwegian ports are Bergen, Skjolden, Geiranger, and Alesund. Can you please give me some idea of what weather we can expect at that time of year? Coming from Ireland, we are used to cold weather but it would be nice to have sunshine at least!

Secondly, it was mentioned in this thread that May would be before the start of the tourist season and there would be fewer facilities open at that time, as opposed to later in the season. Do you think it would be difficult to arrange private tours in these ports at that time of year? We always prefer to go on private tours rather than those organised by the ship.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me Lars, your help would be much appreciated.

Eloise

Hi Eloise, The weather in May is still a bit on the cold side. But since you are from Ireland it would not be to much of a difference for you.

Remember to dress in layers ;-)

Private tour companies are not so usual here but there are some offering tours.

I imagine you would be able to find private tours.

For Ålesund and Geiranger I would suggest this company. Its a new company but has gotten good reviews.https://www.norwayexcursions.com/en/?gclid=CPrR1cj38dECFVfcGQod0t8HoQ

Lars,

We will be in Alesund during your national Constitutional Day celebration. Where can we find information about the celebration? We don't want to miss a parade or local event.

No imformation has been published yet. But normally the big parade is starting at 10am. The parade goes on for 1 hrs more or less :-)

It will start by Ålesund Church and go through the entire town.

It will be a very special experience for you to see for sure.

Hello, I am taking a group of 15 people on board a Princess Cruise through the Norwegian Fjords this summer, with a stop in Skjolden/Sognefjord, Norway. The ship only offers 3 tours in this port and each one seems to be a sedentary bus panoramic tour (two with a church visit - not my thing). I am looking for an alternative; some soft adventure or at least something a little more active than a bus tour. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Did you check our Adventure tours Norway? They have RIB tours, hikings, biking and they even customize tours.

Check them out. I am sure they can help you make a unforgettable day:-)

http://www.adventuretours.no/

Lars,

Thank you for your reply. Can I find the information on the Alesund web site when it is updated? If not there then please provide the best site for the celebration.

We have been lucky enough to have experienced national festivals in our travels and wouldn't think of missing Constitution Day in Norway.

Lars,

Thank you for your reply. Can I find the information on the Alesund web site when it is updated? If not there then please provide the best site for the celebration.

We have been lucky enough to have experienced national festivals in our travels and wouldn't think of missing Constitution Day in Norway.

Its a festive day with happenings going on all day starting from 7 am.

I enclose a link but, this is from last years celebrations. It sort of give you a view on whats going on that day.https://www.alesund.kommune.no/aktuelt/nyhetsarkiv/8163-17-mai-program-i-alesund

I belive the http://www.alesund.kommune.no website is the best source for whats happening 17 May.

I was in Alesund on May 17 2015 (a Sunday) on a Hurtigruten cruise. We arrived at 1100 just as the parade was ending (but we had our own parade on board ship earlier) and there were a number of local day passengers who disembarked or embarked at Alesund wearing traditional costumes who were going there for the celebrations. After the parade was over, there were many local restaurants and bars having celebrations, and many people still walking around town in their costumes. Most of the restaurants and bars which had TVs were showing the largest parades in Norway including the biggest which is in Oslo in front of the Royal Palace, and is mostly groups of school children. I walked around the entire town to see and photograph the beautiful Art Nouveau architecture for which this town is famous.

It will be a very special experiance for those visiting Norway during 17 May.

I belive we are the only country celebrating our constitution day like this with Children walking for their class and school in a parade, all organisations, marching bands etc also partaking.

Lars -- in some older posts in this thread, you recommend a route for driving from Alesund to Trollstigen, but the links in those old posts don't seem to show a correct map any longer.

We will be there from 8:00 to 17:00 in July and would like to see both Trollstigen and Trollveggen.

I was thinking of driving south, along Storfjorden, to Valldalen. Then head north to Trollstigen. After visiting, go north, and then double back on 163 to Trollvegen. To get back to Alesund, go north, around on 136 until it meets back up with the road into Alesund.

Does that make sense, or would you suggest another route? Assuming it takes 30 minutes to an hour to get the car, and so we leave at 9:00, do you think we'll have any problem making it back?

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to the query about cinnamon rolls and coffee--we will be in Alesund mid August on NCL Jade and would like to have lunch in your City. Do you have a favorite restaurant or have recommendations? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

so glad I found you, Hi, we are Erwin and Frieda from Belgium and will be on the NCL Jade in August and I really can use your help as I am lost checking out our ports and making decisions so please your thoughts

we will visit

Kristiansand (8-6)

Haugesund (8-5)

Alesund (8-5)

Bergen (8-19)

Flam (7-15) waterfall )

Geiranger (10.30-5 ) ( before we have a quick stop at Hellesylt )

We are nature people( live ourselves in a small wood ) we love to hike but also to wander around a city we like kayaking ..... we dislike crowds ( sounds silly as we come from a cruise ship but we use that as our transportation )

I am lost as those ports seem all so wonderful and we want to see each waterfall each fjord and every piece of wildlife possible but I know that is impossible so please can you take a look and see from your experience which fjord which fall which town or which tour we should book.

i found for

Kristiansand (8-6) walking around town .. missing out something cool in the area ?

Haugesund (8-5) ship provides a very expensive tour called Amazing Akrafjorden

it really seems amazing but it is a full day tour and there will be no time left to do anything else

Alesund (8-5) we found a tour From Fjords to Trolls by Norway Excursions a full day tour ( but there will be not time to visit Alesund )

Bergen (8-19) no clue yet, so much to see and to do

Flam (7-15) we booked a fjordsafari at 10.30 and hope to have some time before to hike to the waterfall ( should we cancel the fjordsafari and go hiking here ? )

Geiranger (10.30-5 ) found a tour named Dalsnibba again with Norway Excursions

but there will be no time to do anything else

I appreciate your input and thank you for your time to give me directions

best regards from (flat) Belgium

Frieda

Lars -- in some older posts in this thread, you recommend a route for driving from Alesund to Trollstigen, but the links in those old posts don't seem to show a correct map any longer.

We will be there from 8:00 to 17:00 in July and would like to see both Trollstigen and Trollveggen.

I was thinking of driving south, along Storfjorden, to Valldalen. Then head north to Trollstigen. After visiting, go north, and then double back on 163 to Trollvegen. To get back to Alesund, go north, around on 136 until it meets back up with the road into Alesund.

Does that make sense, or would you suggest another route? Assuming it takes 30 minutes to an hour to get the car, and so we leave at 9:00, do you think we'll have any problem making it back?

Seems like I have missed a few posts here.

Ok, the reason why you cant make a r/t route is because Trollstigen is now closed for the winter. So google maps will only show until just right after Valldal or Slettvikelva. Then it starts again at point Trollstigen (lower)

Your route will work perfectly. I think it will be a very rushed day but manageable. You should calculate 5 hrs (plus) in just driving.

Say you head out at 0900 you must be back at the ship 1630 latest.

In addition to the query about cinnamon rolls and coffee--we will be in Alesund mid August on NCL Jade and would like to have lunch in your City. Do you have a favorite restaurant or have recommendations? Thanks.

Visiting Alesund in May. I am a big fan of cinnamon rolls, anywhere you can recommend that does these and also good coffee? Also anywhere in Bergen?

Thanks

Regarding cinnamon rolls:):) (which are so so good:)):

No cafe has them on a regular basis.

I would suggest probably Raccoon Coffee and more.

Your best bet would be to hit the grocery stores of Bunnpris, Kiwi or Spar.

They have something called "skillingsbolle".

My favourite place for lunch is "Invit". its at Apotekergata which is very close to where the ship docks.

They have outside seating which is right on Brosundet (that canal running thought town)

Their food is home made, made from scratch and its delicious.

http://www.invit.no/default.aspx?menu=626

so glad I found you, Hi, we are Erwin and Frieda from Belgium and will be on the NCL Jade in August and I really can use your help as I am lost checking out our ports and making decisions so please your thoughts

we will visit

Kristiansand (8-6)

Haugesund (8-5)

Alesund (8-5)

Bergen (8-19)

Flam (7-15) waterfall )

Geiranger (10.30-5 ) ( before we have a quick stop at Hellesylt )

We are nature people( live ourselves in a small wood ) we love to hike but also to wander around a city we like kayaking ..... we dislike crowds ( sounds silly as we come from a cruise ship but we use that as our transportation )

I am lost as those ports seem all so wonderful and we want to see each waterfall each fjord and every piece of wildlife possible but I know that is impossible so please can you take a look and see from your experience which fjord which fall which town or which tour we should book.

i found for

Kristiansand (8-6) walking around town .. missing out something cool in the area ?

Its a quaint town so walking around is a good option.

Haugesund (8-5) ship provides a very expensive tour called Amazing Akrafjorden

it really seems amazing but it is a full day tour and there will be no time left to do anything else

Akrafjord is amazing and I know you will love it. As far as I know Haugesund itself has not much to offer

Alesund (8-5) we found a tour From Fjords to Trolls by Norway Excursions a full day tour ( but there will be not time to visit Alesund )

This is a matter of choosing. A thought choice.

I would do the tour as the scenery is outstanding.

You just have to come back to do Ålesund another time:-)

Bergen (8-19) no clue yet, so much to see and to do

Bryggen and the Haseatic area is a must. So is Fløybanen.

I like to go to Trollhaugen and visit the former home of Grieg.

Flam (7-15) we booked a fjordsafari at 10.30 and hope to have some time before to hike to the waterfall ( should we cancel the fjordsafari and go hiking here ? )

Not much time there as you leave at 15. I would suggest go hiking as this will make a nice change from all the fjords and "sea" activities you have planned.

Geiranger (10.30-5 ) found a tour named Dalsnibba again with Norway Excursions

but there will be no time to do anything else

You can try to book via the link I provide.

However, this will only take you to Flydalsjuvet view point.

http://www.citysightseeing.no/geiranger/

Another option is:

http://www.geiranger.no/index.php/en/activities/other-activities/379-mountain-hightlight-bus-tour

This tour is 2,5 hrs and you will have time to do the village also.

I appreciate your input and thank you for your time to give me directions

best regards from (flat) Belgium

Frieda

Hi Frieda, See my comments in "bold.

Looks like there are a few people on the Jade on here on the same sailing.

Lars:-)

Hi Frieda, See my comments in "bold.

Looks like there are a few people on the Jade on here on the same sailing.

Lars:-)

Dear Lars

I see your message coming in I am still at work so not allowed to see this[emoji1] but I wanted to say already "thank you"

for your time to write and I send you a tremendous hug ftom Belgium

(I will check your remarks and keep you informed with what we decided)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

Excellent -- thank you very much for the help.

Seems like I have missed a few posts here.

Ok, the reason why you cant make a r/t route is because Trollstigen is now closed for the winter. So google maps will only show until just right after Valldal or Slettvikelva. Then it starts again at point Trollstigen (lower)

Your route will work perfectly. I think it will be a very rushed day but manageable. You should calculate 5 hrs (plus) in just driving.

Say you head out at 0900 you must be back at the ship 1630 latest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lars,

I just discovered this thread yesterday and very much appreciate your responses over the last few years. We will be cruising on Holland America Konnigsdam arriving in Alesund Aug 17!followed by Bergen the next day. Thinking we can see both on our own. We enjoy walking and taking photos and both spots look like perfect to wander about. We might take the HOHO in Bergen. The ship offers one excursion out of Alesund via submarine tunnels to a lighthouse. Is it possible to see this via public transportation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We would also love a copy of your brochure.

Jimkathysmith@sbcglobal.net

Hi I-Cruiser -

We can't find your original post about a "brochure", but we'd love a copy also.

Our e-address is below, in our "signature".

We'll be on the Hurtigruten Trollfjord RT March, 2018, on an astronomy-themed cruise program.

It's our first time to Norway.

Due to DH's time constraints, we're flying directly to Bergen for a few days, and then home after one post-cruise night in Bergen again.

(We are planning a different trip, in warmer weather, to see more of Norway and Sweden, and hopefully a few other places once we are "there".)

Photos of the Fjords look amazing.

We hope to see some Northern Lights, but even if we aren't that lucky, the scenery should be spectacular.

Any Bergen-specific suggestions would be great.

(What is the situation with the Flam RR this time of year? That has us very curious. Could we do a round trip in one day? If so, how long is the wait to transfer from the main RR line, each direction?)

Thank you.