Giovani's Table vs. Portofino?

stones902

It seems that RCI is replacing its signature Portofino restaurants with Giovani's on most if not all their ships. We've enjoyed Portofinos on many sailings but on our Oasis cruise we did not hit Giovani's. I would like to hear anyone's comparison of the two.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by stones902

T-ball to the World Series...

Flag football to the NFL

We were very big fans of Portofino but once Giovanni's came around, no contest!

Note we used to Hit Portofino's once a cruise, we now do Giovanni's 3 times

on a one week cruise,

It seems that RCI is replacing its signature Portofino restaurants with Giovani's on most if not all their ships. We've enjoyed Portofinos on many sailings but on our Oasis cruise we did not hit Giovani's. I would like to hear anyone's comparison of the two.

I use to love Portofino's but on my last cruise on Liberty in November I was a little disappointed with Portofinos

I like the fact that Giovanni's has a lunch option.

Yes the lunch at Giovanni's is fabulous

Flag football to the NFL

on a one week cruise,

When I was on the Allure about 2 years ago I did two lunches and two dinners. loved it. When I go on Brilliance in October may do the same

Flag football to the NFL

on a one week cruise,

Same is basically true for us. We really liked Portofino and would go 2 times in 7 days. LOVE Giovanni's ... went there for dinner 3 times and for lunch 1 time. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Well I'm going to perhaps go against the majority on here and say I miss Portofino. Never had an issue on all the ships where we ate at Portofino.

Granted we enjoyed Giovanni's Table on Mariner in 2012, so much so we went twice in one week. However, I believe that was very much due to the staff in the restaurant which made it such and enjoyable experience.

Fast forward to Giovanni's Table on Allure in 2013, mmm, not bad, but not good, food so so (subjective I know), service just ok and far too noisy an environment for me.

So on our upcoming sailings on Brilliance and a TA on Adventure, what to do? Brilliance already has replaced Portofino with Giovanni's Table and Adventure will do the same after revitalization just before we sail on her.

As there is no Chops Grille on Adventure, this means the only speciality restaurant as far as I'm aware will be Giovanni's Table, and coupled with the fact we'll be on Adventure for 14 days, perhaps I better get my Chops Grille fix on Brilliance and try Giovanni's on Adventure.

Ok this leads to a follow up question for those who have experienced Giovani's. I have heard that food is served there "family style". I know that means group portions so am I correct that Giovani's is not as intimate as Portofinos?

My wife and I travel as a couple and not with family. We enjoy more intimate dining atmospheres. That's why I'm a little hesitant to try Giovani's.

Giovanni's has my vote. I would chose that over Portofino's. But, if there is a Chops, the decision would be harder. I love them both. Although Giovanni's is less expensive, but not much to make a difference. In that case, probably one of each for the cruise.

Gwen :)

Love them both! Giovannis is more casual, Portofino is a little more upscale feeling, but both atmospheres are great.

I don't think I could choose a favorite, I like different things about both! I will say, we did Giovannis two nights last month on Oasis.

Ok this leads to a follow up question for those who have experienced Giovani's. I have heard that food is served there "family style". I know that means group portions so am I correct that Giovani's is not as intimate as Portofinos?

My wife and I travel as a couple and not with family. We enjoy more intimate dining atmospheres. That's why I'm a little hesitant to try Giovanni's.

It's only as "family style" as you want it to be. DH & I always had a table for two. A couple will always automatically be given a table for two ... you don't have to ask.

We each ordered our own food ... no family style sharing. We did share an appetizer from time to time because we wanted to. You will not leave there hungry. :D

We saw some larger groups that would order a bunch of different things and do it family style. You can do it either way without a problem. :)

LuLu

~~~

Portofino was one of our favorite places to eat. Giovanni's was not very good on

Allure but it was decent on Brilliance. We miss Portofino and do not find Giovanni's to be an acceptable replacement. With that said, I can understand Royal's decision to want to have a more family oriented eatery.

Except for on Oasis and Allure, I really prefer Portofino to Giovanni's Table.

As for the lunch option with Giovanni's Table, in December there was no lunch option on Independence, a real disappointment. Also, I did not care for the decor of GT on Indepenence. It looked only slightly better than a cafeteria to me. And I did not think the food quite met the standard of GT on Oasis and Allure.

I do like the decor of GT on Oasis and Allure and like the option to eat out in Central Park. It is especially pleasant at night. There is no such option possible on other classes of Royal Caribbean ships.

I really don't know why Royal Caribbean is choosing to eliminate the Portofino restaurants, except perhaps they feel passengers have grown tired of the concept. I'm not one of those passengers.

I also feel that just because a concept works well on Oasis and Allure, doesn't mean it will translate successfully to other classes of ships. Some concepts do, of course, but not all. I'd be curious to know how well the GTs are doing as compared to Portofino on ships the GTs replaced Portofino.

I am a fan of Giovanni's - just love it and the food and service. I like the fact that you can either have an individual meal or they give you several meals to sample. Presumably this is what is meant by family style eating but hadn't come across it before. On my last cruise I had two evening meals and one lunch at Giovanni's and will be heading back there again on my next cruise :)

Probably had one of our worst meals ever in Giovanni's food was just high street Italian and not very good. Choppes is better but for us did not cut the mustard, it was good but we expected fine dining not a glorified steak house. .

I have to agree on Giovanni's. At first I was a "little" disappointed when I heard The Serenade of the Seas would not have a Portofino's but after giving a Giovanni's a try I was glad that I did.

And, I too am Italian. My grandparents on my mother's side were Italian immigrants so I grew up with a table full of different food on our table every Sunday; Roasted Chicken, Spaghetti, Sausage and Peppers, Eggplant Parmigianino. The more relatives and more kids at the table the greater the selection.

Giovanni's

We sailed the Brilliance of the Seas on Nov 16, 2013.

It was her first sailing from Tampa.

We were offered a meal at Giovanni's for 50% off on the first night. We were also told that we could use our buy one, get one coupon at Chops on another night of our choosing.

There were no flyers indicating the special. We found out when we tried to make reservations at Chops. The manager let us know the specials.

We loved Giovanni's for the food and the service. We will be returning in another week, and we are very happy with the change from Portofino's to Giovanni's......

Dorothy

Giovanni's is fantastic.

One of the big draws of the MDR for me is that if I'm hungry...I just order another meal or if I'm split between two...I get them both. How do the specialty restaurants work in that sense?

You can have unlimited apps/sides/desserts with a single entree. The apps at Gio's are very good and meant to be shared.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea