Define "Modern Luxury" on Celebrity

ClairetoCruise

That's what I got out of the responses as well. Nice to see someone that actually appreciates being spoiled a bit.

This is my experience with Celebrity:

My first cruise on Celebrity was on the Mercury for my 40th birthday. We were on the top deck above the pool during a pool party, celebrating leaving Costa Rica and heading toward the Panama Canal. At the strike of midnight, the MC made a big deal about announcing my big day. Everybody toasted me for turning 40. It was something special!!

We then made our home on the Infinity in an inside cabin a couple of years ago. Our cabin was midship and the door opened out into the glass elevator vestibule. Our friends were in the cabin next door. We made the little sitting area in the elevator lobby our own and dubbed it 'The Lounge'. Again, it was something special. The hotel manager came by and saw us having such a lovely time that he actually had our room steward deliver a bottle of champagne to each of us that evening....just for having fun!!

This prompted us to sail on the most lovely Equinox for my DH's 60th birthday. I was talking with the bartender and fellow passengers at the martini bar explaining how I pulled off the surprise of a lifetime for that trip. I kept the entire thing a secret, booked a concierge cabin and first class airfare. He didn't know what was going on ...and it took me an entire year to plan it. The bartender asked when his actual birthday was -- 6 days away -- mid-cruise. ON that day, we happened to go back to the martini bar and the bartender was busy doing something in the corner instead of taking our order. He then came over, placed a decorated glass in front of my husband. It was all laced with chocolate on the inside of the glass -- the writing saying "Happy Birthday Kenny". He remembered the date, he remembered his name and he remembered Kenny liked chocolate. He then proceeded to pour a chocolate martini into the glass.

This is my definition of modern luxury...being spoiled above and beyond!! This is why we keep coming back to Celebrity!! It's the bomb!! :D

My first cruise was 1990 n the Horizon....there have been a noticable amount of cutbacks since that cruise. Michal Roux being the first.

I really can't understan how many think there have been no cut backs......just from the spring Equinox to the December Reflection the cut backs have been extremely apparent

Reminds me of Judge Judy...Don't pee on my leg and try to tell me it's raining

Edited by 20pluscruises

Based on one cruise each on a number of cruise lines lately, and a lot of planning of future cruises that included checking out many cruise lines we decided not to cruise -- I would characterize Celebrity as equivalent to Lincoln.

Royal Caribbean, which owns Celebrity, is Ford. Take a Taurus and add more luxury, and you get a Lincoln MKS. Same principle. Some people feel the Lincoln's added luxuries are worth the premium price; others say it's still a Taurus.

[RCL also owns Azamara, which in this analogy would be like when Ford owned Jaguar -- except Azamara's ships don't break down as often... ;)]

Based on one cruise each on a number of cruise lines lately, and a lot of planning of future cruises that included checking out many cruise lines we decided not to cruise -- I would characterize Celebrity as equivalent to Lincoln.

Royal Caribbean, which owns Celebrity, is Ford. Take a Taurus and add more luxury, and you get a Lincoln MKS. Same principle. Some people feel the Lincoln's added luxuries are worth the premium price; others say it's still a Taurus.

[RCL also owns Azamara, which in this analogy would be like when Ford owned Jaguar -- except Azamara's ships don't break down as often... ;)]

Can someone explain the 4.5 rating for Azamara compared to 5 for Reflection? I was always under the impression that Azmara was a better cruise? But every site has it below many of the other Celebrity ships. A huge reason why we have stayed away from cruising Azmara.

My first cruise was 1990 n the Horizon....there have been a noticable amount of cutbacks since that cruise. Michal Roux being the first.

Do you remember the cost per day of sailing Horizon and could you compare it to similar accommodations and itinerary on a Celebrity ship today?

I'm with you, I haven't notice much in the way of cutbacks. Seems to me that some of those unhappy with the Captain's Club for not giving into their demands are now saying everything is because of cutbacks.

I'm not unhappy with the Captains Club and made no demands. I just noticed little things on my cruise two weeks ago.

Also, you take the good with the bad, I was extremely happy with my cruise but I did see cutbacks. I was happy enough that we have two cruises scheduled for next year.

Edited by dkjretired

I'm not unhappy with the Captains Club and made no demands. I just noticed little things on my cruise two weeks ago.

Also, you take the good with the bad, I was extremely happy with my cruise but I did see cutbacks. I was happy enough that we have two cruises scheduled for next year.

If you noticed, I said "some".

Celebrity markets the concept "Modern Luxury", what does that mean to you?

Claire

An Ad campaign by any Co is not designed to entice current clients to return, but to bring 'NEW' ones into the fold. So here we with many sailings talk about, food, dress, music, and on and on being on the decline, yet we continue to return.

I would venture to comment that whatever it means we as a collective group continue to embrace it.:)

Edited by wallie5446

Aqua Spa café is open to everyone on the ship...

Sorry, I thought it was only for Aqua quests, guess that is why I've never been.

With regard to cut backs, one poster complained about lack of bartenders and had to wait at least 5 minutes for a drink. While another poster said that there were enough and they only had to wait in the very popular Martini Bar. Another said that they put on extra bartenders during the busy times. So which one do we feel is giving us the correct information....major cutbacks or enough staff or added staff when busy.

Sorry, I thought it was only for Aqua quests, guess that is why I've never been.

With regard to cut backs, one poster complained about lack of bartenders and had to wait at least 5 minutes for a drink. While another poster said that there were enough and they only had to wait in the very popular Martini Bar. Another said that they put on extra bartenders during the busy times. So which one do we feel is giving us the correct information....major cutbacks or enough staff or added staff when busy.

Everything has to be taken in context and you can't base an opinion on one incident. When we first got on the ship, I had to go to three bars to get a drink, I was roaming so it didn't matter. I thought about the cutbacks that a lot have been complaining about but didn't see any difference over the course of the cruise so sort of put that out of my mind.

Everything has to be taken in context and you can't base an opinion on one incident. When we first got on the ship, I had to go to three bars to get a drink, I was roaming so it didn't matter. I thought about the cutbacks that a lot have been complaining about but didn't see any difference over the course of the cruise so sort of put that out of my mind.

Yes, there could be some cutbacks, but I haven't notice them. My cruising experience with Celebrity on my last cruise, was just as enjoyable as my first Celebrity cruise. If you look at some of the more vocal who feel they got ripped off by the Captain's Club, you would think that Celebrity has gone to the dogs, which is certainly not so.

I haven't sailed with X yet (have a cruise booked in April) but the slogan conveys to me the idea that Celebrity wants to brand itself as a luxury cruise line that has moved on from old-fashioned standards of luxury to modern standards of luxury. Whether they have cut costs or not would have nothing to do with the slogan, it's just a marketing strategy meant to attract new cruisers (myself being one of them.)

I haven't sailed with X yet (have a cruise booked in April) but the slogan conveys to me the idea that Celebrity wants to brand itself as a luxury cruise line that has moved on from old-fashioned standards of luxury to modern standards of luxury. Whether they have cut costs or not would have nothing to do with the slogan, it's just a marketing strategy meant to attract new cruisers (myself being one of them.)

I'm sure you will have a great time. I personally haven't noticed any cutbacks that would hinder a great cruising experience. My last Celebrity cruise experience was just as enjoyable as my first cruise with them. Seems as though some people are not happy with Celebrity; when you cruise you will come to your own conclusion as to whether Celebrity is the cruise line for you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by NLH Arizona