Just off Voyager

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions! You guys are truly amazing! :)

Do you think it is pretty quiet in that area at night time? I think my friends are above the general and souvenir shop. Or will it be a case of needing to bring earplugs (I hope not!)? I've tried reading up on reviews, but, the ones I've found are very old (some written 10 years ago!).

We had a PR cabin on Deck 7 (opposite the General Store) and had no noise issues at all.

We had a PR cabin on deck 8 opposite the service desk. We never had any issue with noise.

We have booked again for this year, this time a PR on deck 7 opposite the pig and whistle. We are not worried about any noise from the pub, because we plan on being there till it closes anyway...:D

Deidre:)

Thanks so much tillydog and barnsey1802! :D They're on Deck 6, so, hopefully, it will also be quiet like your experiences!

With the VOS arriving back in Sydney at 6AM, how has your experience been in terms of disembarking? Has it always arrived into Sydney on-time, and has it been pretty quick (including going through Customs, etc.)?

My friends need to catch a coach, but, I'm thinking maybe 8AM will be too much of a rush for them, which is a shame, as that's the time where sale fares are being offered, but not sure. Do you think that 8AM is pushing it too much?

Edited by Jarrah-cruise

We were on Deck 6 in a Promenade inside with a view of the cafe. The only noise we heard was the singer who set up at 11pm the first night & went until midnight. It was quite loud but he was on the bridge just near our cabin. YMMV.

I also discovered a coffee machine (real coffee) in the Schooner bar on deck 4 plus another one that I can't quite recall now. Maybe the Solarium bar?

We are also just off the Voyager from the NYE cruise! Agree with all the positive comments. We had a great time in our Promenade view cabin.

A suggestion for when you embark…go down to the dock early and get the immigration forms (just ask an official). We filled these out in our hotel room and found it much easier than having to fill them out in the queue. The whole process was much quicker too. :D

We are also just off the Voyager from the NYE cruise! Agree with all the positive comments. We had a great time in our Promenade view cabin.

A suggestion for when you embark…go down to the dock early and get the immigration forms (just ask an official). We filled these out in our hotel room and found it much easier than having to fill them out in the queue. The whole process was much quicker too. :D

Yay, we were on same cruise as you. What deck was your PR?

Thanks so much tillydog and barnsey1802! :D They're on Deck 6, so, hopefully, it will also be quiet like your experiences!

With the VOS arriving back in Sydney at 6AM, how has your experience been in terms of disembarking? Has it always arrived into Sydney on-time, and has it been pretty quick (including going through Customs, etc.)?

My friends need to catch a coach, but, I'm thinking maybe 8AM will be too much of a rush for them, which is a shame, as that's the time where sale fares are being offered, but not sure. Do you think that 8AM is pushing it too much?

Not sure if it's [/always/] been on time, but it is very often at least. Depends what the impact of that risk is and if they're okay with it if they miss that coach. Can they just shell out another $50 and they're off in 2 hours, and they don't mind that risk? Then it's probably okay. But if they're booked solid, or the cost isn't wearable then you might want to go with the safe option.

We chose to self disembark, we were off the ship at 6.30am. Clearing customs was easy, all we had to do was hand in the Incoming Passenger card and off we went. Would your friends be open to self disembarking but nearer the time they need to be off the ship to get the coach?

Thanks, guys! Once again (and I don't think I can say this enough!), you are all truly fantastic! Appreciate the info about Deck 6 and the quicker disembarking info! :)

I'm thinking they should be okay self-disembark, but, not 100% sure. They said they're willing to pay more for a "safe" time other than 8AM, but, I guess, you always want to save money where you can (leaves money for other better things!)!

Thanks again, guys! :D

I also discovered a coffee machine (real coffee) in the Schooner bar on deck 4 plus another one that I can't quite recall now. Maybe the Solarium bar?

Is this coffee machine a complimentary (free) one or one you have to pay for? Has anybody else come across these machines and can they confirm locations? Thanks

Karen

Boarding is supposed to go by deck numbers but we got there early to drop bags off and they said you can board now if you like... Most people we spoke to just got on when they arrived at the terminal, I guess they do the staggered times just incase heaps of people turn up at once but a friend that was on the cruise was supposed to board at 1-30 and she was on before 11.

Sorry, tassie cruiser (or any other CC members), yet another question! :)

My friends will be arriving at 11:30AM, but officially, it looks like they should be boarding around 3:30PM. If the cruise actually sticks with the official boarding time (which I hope they don't in this case, as it'd be good for them to be able to get on-board, even if they don't get access to their room), are there actually places where you can drop your bags off, so, you don't have to carry them around with you, if you do arrive early?

Many thanks again for all your help! :)

Our official boarding time was 3.30 IIRC but we were onboard by 12. No problems with that at all. I was originally going to carry our luggage on but decided to hand it in at the tent & get it delivered to the room. Then I didn't have to carry it around. We did take our smaller carry-on type bag with the all important wine inside.

Rooms were ready at 1pm so not a long wait either.

Sorry, tassie cruiser (or any other CC members), yet another question! :)

My friends will be arriving at 11:30AM, but officially, it looks like they should be boarding around 3:30PM. If the cruise actually sticks with the official boarding time (which I hope they don't in this case, as it'd be good for them to be able to get on-board, even if they don't get access to their room), are there actually places where you can drop your bags off, so, you don't have to carry them around with you, if you do arrive early?

Many thanks again for all your help! :)

they can drop their suitcases off as soon as they arrive at the OPT at 11.30am. Good idea for them to carry on a small bag or backpack with stuff they may need when they first get on board in case their suitcases are delayed in being delivered to their cabin.

We boarded at about 2pm and my kids got their suitcases about an hour later. I didnt get my suitcase until 9pm because it contained a powerboard which had to be confiscated.

Hello Fiona,

I have another question for you.

Do you know if there were many drinks specials on throughout the ship. For example happy hour or 2 for 1 specials? I have seen a number of discussions about buckets of beer and champagne cards etc. However these could have been old or for different ships.

I am still deciding on whether or not to get the drinks package or not. for an 11 day cruse this will be setting me and the husband back nearly $1500. I cant imagine drinking that much. But that said even on shore days I would have thought I would clock up at least 5 drinks before bed.

Anyway I was thinking is there are a number of happy hours or drinks specials, I probably would be better off not getting the drinks package.

I would love some advice.

Thanks

Thanks to moonlight_path and aussielozzie18 for your wonderful help! So very appreciated! :)

Just another newbie question ... Say you're a couple: In the MDR, will you always have a table for 2 (which is what my friends would want, unless they're dining with their friends), or will you get put onto tables of other arrangements (like a table for 4, 6, 8, etc. people?

Many thanks! :)

Just another newbie question ... Say you're a couple: In the MDR, will you always have a table for 2 (which is what my friends would want, unless they're dining with their friends), or will you get put onto tables of other arrangements (like a table for 4, 6, 8, etc. people?

There are only a limited number of tables for 2, so depending how many people have requested what, you may be assigned to a larger table. If there aren’t many couples requesting that then you have a better chance. Generally, there’s more availability at late seating as well, so that would also give you a better chance if that’s what is booked.

If you have My Time Dining then you have more flexibility and can request what you prefer and wait for it to be available, though may have to wait longer for a table if you only want a certain size.

There are only a limited number of tables for 2, so depending how many people have requested what, you may be assigned to a larger table. If there aren’t many couples requesting that then you have a better chance. Generally, there’s more availability at late seating as well, so that would also give you a better chance if that’s what is booked.

If you have My Time Dining then you have more flexibility and can request what you prefer and wait for it to be available, though may have to wait longer for a table if you only want a certain size.

Thanks The_Big_M! :) When you say 'request', do you mean like on-the-spot requests (for tables of 2, for example) when entering into the MDR or is this pre-booked with your travel agent or online on the RCI site?

My friends have the late seating (no My Time Dining), and if they go with friends, can they request to sit as a group of 6? Or if they want to be alone, can they request a table for 2 when arriving into the MDR?

I guess I'm a bit confused how it all works because people write that they sit at the exact same table every night with the same servers ... but then other people say that they ask others to come and sit with them.

Sorry if it's a really silly question! Thanks so much for your help! :)

The tables for two are only separated by such tiny gaps that you end up talking together anyway.

We had MTD on Liberty and when you present as a couple then that's the table you get. There were larger groups too and sometimes they had to wait until a larger table opened up.

Get your friends to link their reservations and then they'll sit together. But that's where you'll sit the whole time when on traditional sittings.

Edited by Pushka

Thanks The_Big_M! :) When you say 'request', do you mean like on-the-spot requests (for tables of 2, for example) when entering into the MDR or is this pre-booked with your travel agent or online on the RCI site?

Both. :-). For traditional dining, you can put a request in advance (but it's just a request and not guaranteed). You then are assigned to and stay* at the same table for dinner in the MDR the rest of the cruise.

For My Time dining you can make a booking or on the spot request.

My friends have the late seating (no My Time Dining), and if they go with friends, can they request to sit as a group of 6? Or if they want to be alone, can they request a table for 2 when arriving into the MDR?

I guess I'm a bit confused how it all works because people write that they sit at the exact same table every night with the same servers ... but then other people say that they ask others to come and sit with them.

(*)With traditional dining, for dinner, you stay at your reserved table every night. (Note: Some also go to the Main dining room for breakfast or lunch. At those times you don't have the same table and are typically assigned a table as you arrive, generally filling tables progressively.)

However, what you may have read is that if space is available e.g. someone doesn't turn up because they went to the buffet or a speciality restaurant then people sometimes invite people to their table. This can be done, but needs to be by agreement with the waiter so they know who to serve where - and they also have to deal with the flack if the person assigned to that spot arrives late! ;-) Sometimes people might agree to switch as well for whatever reason.

Generally though, seats are pretty much set in traditional dining.

We dine anytime but have joined friends at their table (which was not full, 8 at a table for 12) at a late seating after clearing it with the Maitre' de and the other people at the table first. As the table was never full, they all consented and we had a wonderful meal together.:D

Thanks yet again to Pushka, The_Big_M, and MicCanberra for your help! I can't say it enough times, but you're all brilliant! :D

I've asked my friends to check with the travel agent about linking up reservations. I know one wouldn't mind sitting with others, but the other would prefer to be with people they know. Booking a cruise was a spur of the moment thing because their friends are going, so, they did zero research beforehand (which is why I'm here asking all the questions - The more I ask though, the more interesting cruising gets, and now, I want to book a cruise too!).

Thanks again for all your wonderful help! It really is greatly appreciated! :)

We were on Deck 7 (opposite the giant Christmas tree!) :cool:

Loved the monitoring of the hand sanitisers and the "Washy, Washy". I'm sure this is why we had such a 'healthy' cruise.

What cabin number?? We have 7261 in 3 weeks time. Any feedback on deck 7 PR cabin would be great.

Karen:confused: