What will you be reading..?

timberlysmom

I will be reading The Warmth of Other Suns by Pulitzer-Prize winning author Isabel Wilkinson. It covers the Great Migration of black citizens from the south to the north. I'm midway through the book and will bring it along on the cruise.

I have an answer for the OP but I also have a question for the Kindle people --- I have been thinking of buying one myself, for exactly the reasons you name - also I'm taking college classes toward a degree and can save money on textbooks, blah, blah....here's my question for the Kindle people:

Do you have to load the books on there, before you leave? And is it true you can use the Kindle to check your email while you are on board? What kind of Kindle should I buy? All I want to do is watch a few movies, check email and read books. That's it. No games or such. Can you help point me in the right direction on which Kindle to buy?

I would recommend loading a few books onto your device before you leave. Kindle devices can connect to the Internet via WiFi. However, since getting an internet connection on the ship is so expensive, it would probably make sense to to have a few books already download prior to embarking. You can always try to find some WiFi spots at the respective ports but better safe than sorry.

For your needs when it comes to the Kindle, I'd recommend you get a Kindle Fire HD ($139). These are like small tablets which are great for Internet searches, emails, apps, videos etc aside from being a good eReader. If you were to use the Kindle solely for reading, I'd recommend a Kindle ($69) or Kindle Paperwhite ($119).

Do you just put your Kindle (well I have Tab 3 7.0) in your beach bag or such if you decide to get in the pool, I suppose to "trust" no one to get in my bag and I wouldn't leave the area without taking it with me...like if I were to get lunch etc I'd take my stuff.

That's what I would do. Try to hide it somehow and always keep your eye on the beach bag.

I would recommend loading a few books onto your device before you leave. Kindle devices can connect to the Internet via WiFi. However, since getting an internet connection on the ship is so expensive, it would probably make sense to to have a few books already download prior to embarking. You can always try to find some WiFi spots at the respective ports but better safe than sorry.

For your needs when it comes to the Kindle, I'd recommend you get a Kindle Fire HD ($139). These are like small tablets which are great for Internet searches, emails, apps, videos etc aside from being a good eReader. If you were to use the Kindle solely for reading, I'd recommend a Kindle ($69) or Kindle Paperwhite ($119).

Sir Fuller, I thank you, the Queen thanks you!!!! Much appreciate the advice. I will definitely follow it. Off to buy my Kindle Fire. :)

I didn't buy my Kindle until Amazon allowed libraries to loan out ebooks and the Kindles cost under $100. I thought I'd use my ereader mostly for travel but I pretty much use my reader all the time. I find I experiment more with authors and genre then I ever did with paper books.

So now I'm tempted to buy a Kindle Fire but for now I'm holding off. Faith

Thanks to Sir Fuller, I have just purchased my first Kindle. I did buy a used Kindle Fire just so that I can see if I like it, and get used to using one. Later on, I will upgrade to a more expensive, new one.

But I am very excited -- I have not received it yet, but I have already added several Kindle books to my "wishlist" in the "cloud" so I can just download them when it gets here.

Here are a couple of the free selections I downloaded that I thought looked like fun, light reading for a cruise:

1. 1st in a series - the first installment is free, the others are 99 cents:

Absolom - Gone a Whaling:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEVPJBK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3R223KYWNZA3Q&coliid=IU42Q0U653917

2. The Gaughin Connection - free (for now)

http://www.amazon.com/Gauguin-Connection-Genevieve-Lenard-ebook/dp/B008X3NCRE/ref=sr_1_11?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1393191387&sr=1-11&keywords=free+kindle+books

I also saved a couple of movies through "Prime" for free to watch in my cabin :

1. The Snow Walker : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IG7O0O 2. Scape : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7FZJRG

Very excited to receive my "new" Kindle....and very interested in checking out all the features....my understanding is that there is a free app that will convert full length movies on youtube to mp4 so that you can watch them on Kindles.....one of the ones I'm planning to do this with is:

The Legend of 1900 (if you haven't seen it, you MUST --- this is a must see movie for any person who loves cruising and cruise line history. It's not a true story, but in the right circumstances, it "could" have been true....) wonderful cast including the unbeatable, one of a kind, Tim Roth. Beats Titanic (97 version) literally out of the water, with its quiet, artistic approach to the subject of ships, and the people who sail aboard them....A British funded film, but directed by Giuseppe Tomatore...wonderful, amazing director!

Link to the movie on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b3563BJREo

Edited by artist47

QVC on cable TV offered a Kindle HD Fire special yesterday. You may want to look at their website for pricing.

Thanks for mentioning. I did check it out but they were already sold out. They must have sold them all during that hour! Like hotcakes!

The site doesn't show what their price was...oh well! I snoozed, I losed, I guess.

But I did buy one slightly used through one of Amazon's market place sellers so it's guaranteed at least to give me my money back if it's defective/whatnot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby just bought me the Game of Thrones series. I barely started Book 1 during my last cruise. I expect to voraciously read and finish Book 1 on my cruise in two weeks. I will have two plane rides and three sea days, plus snippets of time during the port stops.

Even though the book is long with small print, I'll probably pack a spare of a lighter, quick read variety.

Edited by logan25

My first solo cruise! I have some Deadliest-catch books on my tablet, and I will load a few more books! I will have a pretty big music list! I am probably going to download some shows and videos! I already have Bon Jovi Australia concert from last Dec. add a few more. Everything is bluetooth, so I would assume I can listen to my stuff on my balcony at a normal level during normal hours. I figured over prepared is better; my cruise has mostly all sea days!

If anyone is still needing good prices on tablets, might I suggest checking out tiger direct.

Prior to several solo cruises, I hit the second hand book store for disposable books. I would also leave them in the library for other's enjoyment. I also tried out a few new authors this way. I am a voracious reader at all times, I read a lot of technical stuff to stay current in my profession and off of the best seller list for leisure. But during a cruise, I read all fluff. Yes, some of it is smut, I admit it.

Prior to my last cruise, I purchased a Kindle HD Fire. It is awesome. You cannot sit in the direct sunlight and read as well as a book, but I do have to sit in the shade (I burn to a crisp in 15 minutes flat) anyway so it works for me. I preloaded books that I have looked forward to and read what I wanted when I wanted. Yes, you can have 2 books going at the same time...

I was able to play a few games in between to break it up and email while I was in the US. (yes, I also have a non-smart phone).

While I still miss the smell of an old book store and the feel of a paperback in my hands, I admit the versatility of the Kindle on a cruise out weighs the sentimentality of "reading a good book" (or perhaps a slightly rude book). And remember no one can tell what you are actually reading by the front cover. :eek:

My next cruise is not till October. I have not planned my book list yet... but I will be taking my Kindle.

Janet

I'm a huge reader and my iPad has over 300 books so I'm good to go!

However, I always bring a paperback with me. I'm leaving for my next cruise on Thursday (yay me!!) so I need to go through my personal library to find something to bring with me.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App