Thinking of trying something new

seguincruiser

We have always cruised with Carnival but am thinking of trying something new. Looking at a Feb or March 2015 cruise either from Florida or New Orleans. We live in MN so have to fly either way.:mad: The lines I am looking at our Norwegian, Princess, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. One of the things I like about Carnival is the feeling that I get treated the same if I'm a suite guest or interior room guest. We normally book balconies or suites on Carnival. Would really like to get opinions on who to take a chance with. We only get to cruise once a year or year and half, so don't want to be too disappointed. Thanks in advance to any who reply.

First off let me point out that we are Platinum on Carnival. That said, our most enjoyable and memorable cruises were on RCL and NCL. Our cruise last year on the Navigator of the Seas was probably the best with our cruise last month on the Norwegian Jewel ranking second. The food and service was comparable on all three lines. The NOS is one of the prettiest ships that we have been on and had very good entertainment. The only reason that I would pick RC over NC is the formal dining. I don't like Anytime Dining because it isn't anytime. If you go at the wrong time you will have wait 30 to 45 minutes to be seated plus you are usually stuck with your spouse as the only conversationalist. Now I love my wife but after 43 years of marriage we have covered every conceivable subject and I don't like to repeat myself.:rolleyes:

I am sure that we will still cruise with Carnival (read cheap) but we will always have an eye out for a bargain on the other lines. We have never had a bad cruise. Enjoy!

Great to try something new! You'll never really know which cruise line is the best fit for you until you do.

Most people who like Carnival also like Royal Caribbean.

Princess is the all around best fit for us but we still sail on other cruise lines from time to time.

LuLu

~~~~

We cruised NCL last month -- enjoyed being able to afford a balcony and not having to bring formal clothes just a "nice" outfit or two for night we chose to go to upcharge restaurant. We never had to wait for Freestyle dinner in the MDR longer than it would take for the 'seaters' to return to the hostess station. One time we did switch choice of MDR because there were four or five couples in line, but we never did see the rumored pagers come out! Maybe just after the first show? But we never did that time.

I have not sailed on CCL but going by the messages and reviews on here NCL is approximately the same level of experience. You should try and see!

PS we did a Cabin Crawl and the insides were significantly smaller than the HAL Statendam, our previous experience with insides.

We have cruised on Carnival, Princess, and Royal Caribbean in full suites. I think you will be pleasantly surprised and happy with RC, especially considering the perks offered for passengers in full suites.

See the link below:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests

Happy cruising!

We like the food on Celebrity, the atmosphere on Princess and the activities on RC. Not fans of NCL due to the informality, but if you don't like to dress up then this could be a plus.

You'll like any of them, they really are more alike than different.

We've only booked interiors and OVs, and Princess definitely doesn't treat you like steerage just because one doesn't book the owner's suite. My first six cruises were on Carnival, which was fine, but after going on our first Princess cruise, my family decided this is were we "belong."

I really appreciate your replies. As of now I'm waiting for more choice to come out for October 2015. I can't believe Celebrity prices, we can get a pretty good deal that includes beverages (we don't drink except on cruise ships) also on one of the cruises a suite is only $30 more than a balcony. The only other thing I'm looking at is new ports of call or visiting New Orleans (never been) and then cruising posts I've seen many times but know what I like to do there. I'm a huge planner so I start pretty early looking at different options.

We have been very happy with Princess, but always book a balcony. On our next cruise, which is going to be a 31 day South American cruise, we booked a mini suite. We felt because of the length, we needed a little more room.

Fortunately, we are Elite on Princess, and the best perk is free laundry!

We've only booked interiors and OVs' date=' and Princess definitely doesn't treat you like steerage just because one doesn't book the owner's suite. My first six cruises were on Carnival, which was fine, but after going on our first Princess cruise, my family decided this is were we "belong."[/quote']

Your reply is probably to most helpful of all to the OP because you don't get any special perks on Princess and sometimes book inside cabins and still prefer Princess over Carnival and have never been treated any worse by Princess than those who are Elite or in full suites.

Everyone needs to remember the OP will be a newbie on any cruise line other than Carnival so the Loyal perks are of no importance in considering taking a cruise on another line.

LuLu

~~~~

I really appreciate your replies. As of now I'm waiting for more choice to come out for October 2015. I can't believe Celebrity prices, we can get a pretty good deal that includes beverages (we don't drink except on cruise ships) also on one of the cruises a suite is only $30 more than a balcony. The only other thing I'm looking at is new ports of call or visiting New Orleans (never been) and then cruising posts I've seen many times but know what I like to do there. I'm a huge planner so I start pretty early looking at different options.

Since this is "Wave Season" there are some really good offers. Shop carefully and book early.