Why didn't I think to pack that!

luvlake

I always have to pack a bottle of the pump-style hand soap. It's usually one of the items I pick up at the Dollar Tree by our pre-cruise Fort L hotel. Communal family bar soap gives me the heebie-jeebies! Heck, PERSONAL bar soap that I share only with myself gives me the heebie-jeebies!! Yes, an odd quirk, I know.

Everyone has their own packing style. My tried and true style is that I consider what I use at home prior to getting out the door every morning…and I take that, only in small travel sizes. If I can find sample sizes, all the better.

There are only a handful of "extra" things we take along, but over the years find we use these same items whether we go for a night or several weeks at a time.

Our first cruise, I read a forum similar to this and took to heart every suggestion made. We were so overpacked and by today's standards, suitcases overweight it was ridiculous. The worst part was that much of it went unused and eventually found its way to the trash or Goodwill bag. I wish someone had been the voice of reason on that forum and reeled it in. On some of these ultimate packing list threads I read here, there is so much encouragement to take so many crazy things. But you say anything negative and some will just attack you, silly.

I pack for 5 days, max. No matter how long we're going for. Clothes can be laundered or dry cleaned. You are not camping and much will be supplied, including storage space. Contrary to what some of the ladies think, it's not a fashion show and *gasp* no one on the ship will remember you had on the same _______ 3 days ago.

It's interesting when we disembark the ship and see the suitcases that many have. You'll see couples with 3 huge suitcases, plus a rolling carry on each, then tote bags on top of that. Reading these lists it's no wonder. We have learned that we just don't pack any more than what the 2 of us can handle by ourselves with no assistance.

I so agree with you. Each holiday we go on we take less.

For the last 10 years or more we have taken just 2 hold bags which are just one size up a carry on bag and 1 carry on and we always have enough. We have taken those bags to China, road trips in America , Australia and numerous cruises and never once wished we had brought more. As you say who notices what you wear anyway. My husband and I are not getting any younger and I refuse to burden us with ridiculously heavy bags. We always weigh our bags at home and usually find we are only using half the luggage allowance - plenty to room to buy some goodies while we're away:D

Everyone has their own packing style. My tried and true style is that I consider what I use at home prior to getting out the door every morning…and I take that, only in small travel sizes. If I can find sample sizes, all the better.

There are only a handful of "extra" things we take along, but over the years find we use these same items whether we go for a night or several weeks at a time.

Our first cruise, I read a forum similar to this and took to heart every suggestion made. We were so overpacked and by today's standards, suitcases overweight it was ridiculous. The worst part was that much of it went unused and eventually found its way to the trash or Goodwill bag. I wish someone had been the voice of reason on that forum and reeled it in. On some of these ultimate packing list threads I read here, there is so much encouragement to take so many crazy things. But you say anything negative and some will just attack you, silly.

I pack for 5 days, max. No matter how long we're going for. Clothes can be laundered or dry cleaned. You are not camping and much will be supplied, including storage space. Contrary to what some of the ladies think, it's not a fashion show and *gasp* no one on the ship will remember you had on the same _______ 3 days ago.

It's interesting when we disembark the ship and see the suitcases that many have. You'll see couples with 3 huge suitcases, plus a rolling carry on each, then tote bags on top of that. Reading these lists it's no wonder. We have learned that we just don't pack any more than what the 2 of us can handle by ourselves with no assistance.

As you said in your first sentence: Everyone has their own packing style. I'm glad that you have found yours. I would say that my own is somewhere in between yours and those that you mock. I don't think that anyone is recommending that people pack every item that can be found on the "ultimate packing lists". But they will at least have the opportunity to see the items and decide for themselves if they would be helpful or useful for their travels. I discovered both the over the door shoe organizer and the multi-outlet plug on a board similar to this. It has made our resort rooms and staterooms much more organized ever since, and I rarely travel without them now.

Some people don't like to do laundry on their vacations. So it's their choice to pack more clothes. Some people are more fashion concious and feel more comfortable wearing a different outfit each day. Again, their choice. But these forums allow new (and veteran) cruisers the opportunity to see how other people make their choices, and who knows- perhaps this might influence their decisions in the future.

As you said in your first sentence: Everyone has their own packing style. I'm glad that you have found yours. I would say that my own is somewhere in between yours and those that you mock. I don't think that anyone is recommending that people pack every item that can be found on the "ultimate packing lists". But they will at least have the opportunity to see the items and decide for themselves if they would be helpful or useful for their travels. I discovered both the over the door shoe organizer and the multi-outlet plug on a board similar to this. It has made our resort rooms and staterooms much more organized ever since, and I rarely travel without them now.

Some people don't like to do laundry on their vacations. So it's their choice to pack more clothes. Some people are more fashion concious and feel more comfortable wearing a different outfit each day. Again, their choice. But these forums allow new (and veteran) cruisers the opportunity to see how other people make their choices, and who knows- perhaps this might influence their decisions in the future.

I always love the voice of reason! Great answer!

Every time I cruise I say I will take less! Funny thing is, it usually ends up to be the same amount. I wear mix and match clothes on board, and try to wear some more than once. I lay out my clothes each time, then take some away, then pare down again....still end up with too much! I always come home with some unworn. I agree with whoever said, the "things" are what takes up the weight, those toiletries, sunscreen, etc. I tried last time to take miniature sizes of everything, or made my own mini containers of things I use. I take a very small "pharmacy" of just in case supplies, and usually don't use many of them, if any.

I won't ever forget a few sizes of Ziploc bags, they are used in many ways.

I won't ever forget a flashlight for inside (could be handy for outside too).

I take ear plugs. I take a digital travel clock...no ticking.

I take a few clothes pins for hanging wet suits in bathroom, or on balcony (to chairs) in port.

I take a small amount of duck tape wrapped around a pencil, no need for any more.

I take a small amount of post-it notes to leave messages for room steward, or cabin mate.

Those are really all I won't forget because they are ingrained in my mind to be sure to take. Other things are all optional to me. IMPORTANT :Basic clothes, shoes and swimsuits..not to mention passport, ticket, and dollar bills and credit card.

Happy Sailing...I am heading that way in March.

Edited by ladytravlr2
forgot something

These have been said before, but they are my must-haves:

Tide stain pen - It takes up basically no space. I always keep one in my purse anyway, because I am sloppy and end up needing it often. :)

Binoculars - We always manage to see land, or a ship passing, etc. and want to get a better view. We didn't bring them our first two cruises, and wished we had. Now we use them regularly when we cruise.

Insect repellant - It obviously depends where you are cruising and what excursions you have planned, but at many Caribbean stops, you'll wish you had some.

See what I mean :roll eyes:

Like I said, I wish there would have been someone who would have posted like I have to bring reason into the packing plan. First timers not only need help knowing what to pack, but what not to pack as well.

Edited by Happy ks