Is the Royal Suite worth it over a Celebrity Suite on M class?

andnosyd

I've been battling back and forth about it since they added balconies on the Celebrity Suites on the M class, is the extra cost worth it for the Royal Suite? Besides the larger balcony with a whirlpool, 2 bottles of liquor and a bit larger cabin, are there anything else that I'm missing that would be included with the Royal Suite?

I've been battling back and forth about it since they added balconies on the Celebrity Suites on the M class, is the extra cost worth it for the Royal Suite? Besides the larger balcony with a whirlpool, 2 bottles of liquor and a bit larger cabin, are there anything else that I'm missing that would be included with the Royal Suite?

The bathroom in the RS is MUCH larger and can be accessed without going through the bedroom.

BUT

We love the CS and would not spend $1000's more to go to an RS for those differences....:)

I kind of agree as to the comparisons on M class. On S class, the RS room is markedly larger, and has a dining table whereas the CS has no dining table inside.

I'll be in M class RS next week, then M class CS in March, and can give a firm comparison then, but as I now see it, but for the whirlpool on the veranda, I see no real difference on M class between the 2 especially since the CS's had verandas added to them.

The hot tub on the deck on the Royal suite is too small to consider it an asset, so in my opinion the only gains on the RS over the Celebrity Suite are

1. Bigger Bathroom-Shower is much nicer

2. Dining area/kitchenette-If you entertain and want to have full dinner parties in your room

To me the CS if wonderful, as we really don't have others over for dinner, and if do have guests plenty of room in the CS, so it boils down to the shower, and extra half bath, and don't really think the extra cost is worth it

The hot tub on the deck on the Royal suite is too small to consider it an asset, so in my opinion the only gains on the RS over the Celebrity Suite are

1. Bigger Bathroom-Shower is much nicer

2. Dining area/kitchenette-If you entertain and want to have full dinner parties in your room

To me the CS if wonderful, as we really don't have others over for dinner, and if do have guests plenty of room in the CS, so it boils down to the shower, and extra half bath, and don't really think the extra cost is worth it

I think your discussion is related to S class ships, as the RS on M class has no half bath, and both RS and CS have dining for 4 in cabin - my observations only from reviewing the X website as to M class RS/CS....

I think your discussion is related to S class ships, as the RS on M class has no half bath, and both RS and CS have dining for 4 in cabin - my observations only from reviewing the X website as to M class RS/CS....

You're right the "M" class CS has very nice dining area for 4. It's a great stateroom!

I've sailed in both and would only choose RS over CS if there were more than two of us in the room, because you don't have to go through the bedroom to access the bathroom and there's more room over all to spread out. However, I found the RS to be kind of dark and a little gloomy, because of the deep, covered balcony, and the fact that there is only one set of sliding glass doors parallel to the room. The doors from the bedroom area are offset at an angle, so the bedroom doesn't get much light and there is no view from most of the room.

The CS has a whole wall of floor to ceiling windows, giving you a much better view and more light. The living rooms of both suites are roughly the same size; the main difference is in the bedroom - the RS bedroom is much bigger and it has a desk/make up table. It's kind of wasted space (unless there's more than 2 of you). The CS bedroom is compact, but great for sleeping and for watching TV in bed.

I can also confirm that both suites have dining tables.

Another advantage of the CS is the mid-ship location, very convenient to the stairs and elevators.

We took an RS recently because it was only $100 more P/P than the CS and we thought we'd give it a try. But unless I was sailing with kids or another couple, I would always choose the CS.

Ed

Ok, thanks for the info! The price difference is about $3,000 for 15 days total, so I'm not sure that is worth it. Are there any unpublished benefits to being in a royal suite like invitations to the elite lounge for happy hour or a bridge invite, things like that?

I've sailed in both and would only choose RS over CS if there were more than two of us in the room, because you don't have to go through the bedroom to access the bathroom and there's more room over all to spread out. However, I found the RS to be kind of dark and a little gloomy, because of the deep, covered balcony, and the fact that there is only one set of sliding glass doors parallel to the room. The doors from the bedroom area are offset at an angle, so the bedroom doesn't get much light and there is no view from most of the room.

The CS has a whole wall of floor to ceiling windows, giving you a much better view and more light. The living rooms of both suites are roughly the same size; the main difference is in the bedroom - the RS bedroom is much bigger and it has a desk/make up table. It's kind of wasted space (unless there's more than 2 of you). The CS bedroom is compact, but great for sleeping and for watching TV in bed.

I can also confirm that both suites have dining tables.

Another advantage of the CS is the mid-ship location, very convenient to the stairs and elevators.

We took an RS recently because it was only $100 more P/P than the CS and we thought we'd give it a try. But unless I was sailing with kids or another couple, I would always choose the CS.

Ed

THIS (I agree).

The advantages (for 2) of the RS are the tub on the balcony, if you like a tub, not a hot tub, a seperate shower than the bath, and a deeper balcony with a bigger table.

The layout of the CS is actually nicer, especially given the BIG windows and light in the cabin.

We actually prefer the CS make-up table in the closet, then the one in the bedroom of the RS. Both have way more storage than we could use (and we tried by buying lots of gifts at every port over a month).

Ok, thanks for the info! The price difference is about $3,000 for 15 days total, so I'm not sure that is worth it. Are there any unpublished benefits to being in a royal suite like invitations to the elite lounge for happy hour or a bridge invite, things like that?

On M-Class we got all the same benefits as our friends in the RS (extra set of Elite Coupons, invite to bridge tour (though this wasn't attached to the cabin), invite to special events, etc. Not sure this would happen on an S-Class ship.

As was said above, if the price difference was minimal, I would choose the RS for the tub, as we'd use it, and having a table on the deck is nice. Hard to go wrong either way.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

We took an RS recently because it was only $100 more P/P than the CS and we thought we'd give it a try.

Ed

SCORE!!! ;) VERY nice!

How many nights was your cruise?

$100pp to upgrade to RS over CS is pretty darn good deal!

SCORE!!! ;) VERY nice!

How many nights was your cruise?

$100pp to upgrade to RS over CS is pretty darn good deal!

It was a 7-night cruise in early December 2013, and I think the pricing was a fluke.

I'd been checking on prices for that particular cruise, and all of a sudden they dropped the price of the RS significantly without dropping the CS price. It was weird because normally I see them drop prices across the board.

I booked right away, and the next day the CS category was sold out. Then the following day, X re-introduced the 1-2-3 special, and I was able to add the free classic drink package. After final payment was due, the price of the RS went down even more (but without 1-2-3). For whatever reason they were having a hard time filling those suites for this cruise.

My guess is that since school was still in session, there wasn't a big demand for the larger suites.

Ed

• 4 months later...
I kind of agree as to the comparisons on M class. On S class, the RS room is markedly larger, and has a dining table whereas the CS has no dining table inside.

I'll be in M class RS next week, then M class CS in March, and can give a firm comparison then, but as I now see it, but for the whirlpool on the veranda, I see no real difference on M class between the 2 especially since the CS's had verandas added to them.

The Celebrity Suite does have a dining table inside. It is large and can easily seat 4 people comfortably. The biggest difference between Royal and CS is the balcony ( and the price) - that includes a hot tub and the bathroom which is significantly larger.

Edited by Cruise a holic

The Celebrity Suite does have a dining table inside. It is large and can easily seat 4 people comfortably. The biggest difference between Royal and CS is the balcony ( and the price) - that includes a hot tub and the bathroom which is significantly larger.

CS only has a dining table in cabin on M class (older, smaller ships)..

S class only has a large low level coffee table in the cabin surrounded by the pit group sofa seating area.

Both S and M have a dining table on veranda, however M class, only seats 2 people, whereas on S class it will seat 4.

Curt was referring to S-Class ships, where the CS does not have a dining table. The RS on an S-Class is markedly nicer, while on M-Class the CS is a great layout and not as big a difference in the "hardware" or the room or size.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Curt was referring to S-Class ships, where the CS does not have a dining table. The RS on an S-Class is markedly nicer, while on M-Class the CS is a great layout and not as big a difference in the "hardware" or the room or size.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I guess Curt responded himself, sorry :)

Happy saililng,

Jenna

Talking Celebrirty suites on the S class ships, does anyone have a good feel for if the cabin is any larger than the Sky-suites? I kind of feel its really the same overall cabin size, just with the bedroom tightly walled in, maybe LONGER given its position in the bump out, but probably the same width?

Not comparing to the corner aft SkySuites, but the standard sky suites.

My only experience in one on S class was on a cabin crawl, and I remember thinking it was kind of compact for a suite.

On M class, I think its a great and similar size relative to Royals however. ON S clsas, I think the royal is about the size of 3.5 standard cabins, maybe only 3.

Edited by cle-guy

Remember

Reflection, Penthouse and Royal suite guests are privy to even more exclusive services such as unlimited internet, unlimited Complimentary Specialty Dining and complimentary Premium Beverage Package of your choice for all guests in suite (minors will automatically receive a Premium Non-Alcoholic Package).

Additionally we were in a Celebrity suite on the summit and did not like the location of the bedroom. It backs up to the hall, and we found it very noisy. The royal is not that way.

Remember

Reflection, Penthouse and Royal suite guests are privy to even more exclusive services such as unlimited internet, unlimited Complimentary Specialty Dining and complimentary Premium Beverage Package of your choice for all guests in suite (minors will automatically receive a Premium Non-Alcoholic Package).

Penthouse nor royals get free internet yet. That doesn't start until April 2015. reflection DOES currently however. The rest of the perks don't apply until that time as well, but I am not sure or the Reflection suite may already get them. I know it currently gets free mini bar, not sure about beverage package and unlimited specialty dining at this time.

Currently all suites (including Sky suites) get 1 specialty dining on short cruises and 2 on longer cruises.

Having been in both, the bathroom is the biggest diffference between the CS and RS. There is a tub and a shower stall in the RS, the CS only has a very deep tub with a shower. It can be difficult getting in and out of the tub. The staff built a step but even that was difficult.

I love the open windows in the CS but cannot do it anymore.

Talking Celebrirty suites on the S class ships, does anyone have a good feel for if the cabin is any larger than the Sky-suites? I kind of feel its really the same overall cabin size, just with the bedroom tightly walled in, maybe LONGER given its position in the bump out, but probably the same width?

Not comparing to the corner aft SkySuites, but the standard sky suites.

My only experience in one on S class was on a cabin crawl, and I remember thinking it was kind of compact for a suite.

On M class, I think its a great and similar size relative to Royals however. ON S clsas, I think the royal is about the size of 3.5 standard cabins, maybe only 3.

On S-class, the Celebrity suites are definitely larger than (standard) Sky 2 suites. As well as not having a separate bedroom, Sky suites do not have a walk-in closet. The Sky suites are 300 sq ft and the Celebrity suites are 394 sq ft.

CS only has a dining table in cabin on M class (older, smaller ships)..

S class only has a large low level coffee table in the cabin surrounded by the pit group sofa seating area.

Both S and M have a dining table on veranda, however M class, only seats 2 people, whereas on S class it will seat 4.

I only stayed in the CS on the M class ships! Sorry my bad! The S class, if the price is okay, we like the S1! So is the CS on the S class just one big room?

Edited by Cruise a holic

On S-class, the Celebrity suites are definitely larger than (standard) Sky 2 suites. As well as not having a separate bedroom, Sky suites do not have a walk-in closet. The Sky suites are 300 sq ft and the Celebrity suites are 394 sq ft.

Any idea if the extra footage comes from increased width or increased length or combination of both? Noting placement on the ship, I kind of feel they are deeper, not so much wider as they are in the middle hump area.

Simplest thing is to see the window placement of Sky versus Celebrity, as the windows are all the same size either full or half width on the exterior.

Remember

Additionally we were in a Celebrity suite on the summit and did not like the location of the bedroom. It backs up to the hall, and we found it very noisy. The royal is not that way.

As Curt said, not yet for the extra perks.

Which deck CS were you on? Ours was SO quiet!

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Any idea if the extra footage comes from increased width or increased length or combination of both? Noting placement on the ship, I kind of feel they are deeper, not so much wider as they are in the middle hump area.

Simplest thing is to see the window placement of Sky versus Celebrity, as the windows are all the same size either full or half width on the exterior.

I believe that the CS is 2x the width of a balcony cabin, while the Sky Suite is is only 1.5 times. You can tell that from the windows, as you say, there are two full door sets on the CS.