Passport: Keep it on the boat for shore excursions?

Matt8085

It depends on where you're going! If you're going to the Caribbean, and I'm assuming you are, then the passport card is sufficient, however if you're going to ports in South America, it may not be. Carnival should be giving you very specific information as to what THEY will require to let you board the ship at the port of your embarkation. Don't assume anything because if you do not have the proper ID they will NOT let you board the ship. and I know they stick by this because one of our group packed his passport in his suitcase and they gave him a really hard time. We were going from Alaska to Vancouver and he was finally allowed to board after all of us vouched for him and swore that he had a valid passport and was merely stupid. He had one hour to produce his passport or be put off the ship at the first american port. in addition, he would not be allowed to get off the ship in any foreign (Canadian) port until he found and presented his passport, which of course, he did...But the point is, don't take anyone's word for it, ask Carnival what they will accept and then do what they tell you to!:)

I don't think you understood the poster's question. They have both a passport and a passport card and very simply asked if it was OK to keep the passport locked in their cabin safe and carry their passport card ashore.

The simple answer is "yes"...in virtually every country in the world, and the Carnival Elation doesn't sail to any of the exceptions (such as Russia), because it's doing cruises to Mexico from New Orleans.

I don't want to be rude or confrontational, but American citizens have a very strange understanding about passports and how foreign citizens (including Americans traveling abroad) may regarded by the countries they are visiting. You know, if you're comfortable wandering around a foreign country with only your driver's license, go ahead with that.

I can't even get to my cruise, (coming from Canada) without producing my passport to enter the US of A. I have to pony it up to get to Miami or FL or Puerto Rico to even get into your country, just so I can get on the ship. If I try to produce my driver's license to get into your country, I'll get turned back. FINISH. THE END. SORRY SUCKAH!

The difference between you and me is I accept that other countries, like the ones I visit on my cruise, might have a similar attitude to the US. No passport - no go.

So you can go ahead and walk on the wild side with your drivers license and your passport photocopy in foreign countries. Hope it works out for you.

Just one thing I don't get. You won't let anybody into your country with just some schmucky driver's license. They must have a passport. But you think other countries should honor your driver's license. Why is that?

I can't even get to my cruise, (coming from Canada) without producing my passport to enter the US of A. I have to pony it up to get to Miami or FL or Puerto Rico to even get into your country, just so I can get on the ship. If I try to produce my driver's license to get into your country, I'll get turned back. FINISH. THE END. SORRY SUCKAH!

The difference between you and me is I accept that other countries, like the ones I visit on my cruise, might have a similar attitude to the US. No passport - no go.

So you can go ahead and walk on the wild side with your drivers license and your passport photocopy in foreign countries. Hope it works out for you.

And once again, here's how it really is for non-US citizens. You need a passport to board your ship in the first place. Then, in most countries, you don't need it again until you leave the ship on the last day, because the ship gets clearance at each port for all passengers en bloc.

Some countries (like the USA) want to check your passport individually when you arrive, so you will need to carry it then. Other countries (like Aruba and Russia) want you to carry it with you as a means of ID. But apart from that, you don't need it, whether American or not.

I don't want to be rude or confrontational, but American citizens have a very strange understanding about passports and how foreign citizens (including Americans traveling abroad) may regarded by the countries they are visiting. You know, if you're comfortable wandering around a foreign country with only your driver's license, go ahead with that.

Just one thing I don't get. You won't let anybody into your country with just some schmucky driver's license. They must have a passport. But you think other countries should honor your driver's license. Why is that?

None of the countries we can visit via cruise ship here in the Western Hemisphere require a passport to enter (I don't even have one), including Canada. So I cannot drive to the border checkpoint that is 8 miles from my house and be admitted but I can drive to Boston, board a cruise ship and have no problems. I don't "think" they should honor my driver's license, but they have chosen to honor it and I am just fine with that.

None of the countries we can visit via cruise ship here in the Western Hemisphere require a passport to enter (I don't even have one), including Canada. So I cannot drive to the border checkpoint that is 8 miles from my house and be admitted but I can drive to Boston, board a cruise ship and have no problems. I don't "think" they should honor my driver's license, but they have chosen to honor it and I am just fine with that.

But you are proving your citizenship with not only ID (driver's license), but a birth certificate that says you were born here. It is a perfect method, probably not, but it is pretty close.

Are you even reading what was posted? When I show my passport to the boarding agent before I get on the cruise, I have been verified as being a US citizen. That is known. So when I get off the ship, they know that a US citizen (and who that person is) is entering their country from the ship because they have verified that I am who I am.

When I get back onto the ship, I show my cruise ID, and a picture of me comes up on the monitor. If it is not me on the monitor, or appearing there with the card, they will not let me on the ship.

So entering the country (getting off the ship), they have validated that it is me. Leaving the country (returning to the ship), they can validate it is me.

Understand?

I don't think you understood the poster's question. They have both a passport and a passport card and very simply asked if it was OK to keep the passport locked in their cabin safe and carry their passport card ashore.

The simple answer is "yes"...in virtually every country in the world, and the Carnival Elation doesn't sail to any of the exceptions (such as Russia), because it's doing cruises to Mexico from New Orleans.

you know I read the post several times and couldn't be certain. what concerned me was that poster seemed quite specific when she/he stated "do I

need both on the cruise"...I couldn't be certain that poster wasn't suggesting that she only need bring card and didn't want to risk giving bad advice.

Are you even reading what was posted? When I show my passport to the boarding agent before I get on the cruise, I have been verified as being a US citizen. That is known. So when I get off the ship, they know that a US citizen (and who that person is) is entering their country from the ship because they have verified that I am who I am.

When I get back onto the ship, I show my cruise ID, and a picture of me comes up on the monitor. If it is not me on the monitor, or appearing there with the card, they will not let me on the ship.

So entering the country (getting off the ship), they have validated that it is me. Leaving the country (returning to the ship), they can validate it is me.

Understand?

reedl, I've read every post in this thread, and moreover I'm well able to understand what I read.

In post #18 I recounted two incidents on a recent cruise when our sea cards were not adequate to permit us to re-board. We were very fortunate that we had satisfactory ID with us in both cases. The ID we choose to carry ashore is our passports. Maybe the difference is this: you're a US citizen and I'm not. And not everyone who reads these boards is a US citizen.

Since then, many posters have argued for various reasons that passports should be left locked up on the ship, and that various other documents like Drivers Licenses or photocopies will be adequate. I have disagreed with those suggestions for reasons I've stated. It's my position that a passport is the gold standard when people are abroad, and I prefer not to take the risk that foreign customs personnel will find some other document acceptable just because I think they should.

That's my opinion, reedl, and people can take it or leave it. But to suggest that just because you disagree with me means I don't read or that I am not capable of understanding is an unnecessary insult.

Edited by wassup4565

One more point I've been trying to make in this discussion is that American border practices have changed drastically since 9/11. I used to be able to enter the US with just a Canadian Drivers License, but those days are gone - if I don't have a passport I can't get in. That's okay with me, as I've traveled for many years to many countries that demand a passport - it's normal practice. Now the US is the same, so I bring my passport and expect to have to produce it.

What I genuinely don't understand is why Americans, who have become much more strict about foreigners entering their country, think they should be able to behave differently. You demand passports, so why do you think you should be able to offer Drivers Licenses or photocopies when you yourselves won't accept them?

I do see that Americans are able to get away with this double standard in many places. So far. You've shown that through the many examples you've cited here, and maybe that will always be the case - you'll get special treatment.

As for me (not an American) I get no special treatment, I don't expect any, and therefore I bring my passport shore.

One more point I've been trying to make in this discussion is that American border practices have changed drastically since 9/11. I used to be able to enter the US with just a Canadian Drivers License, but those days are gone - if I don't have a passport I can't get in. That's okay with me, as I've traveled for many years to many countries that demand a passport - it's normal practice. Now the US is the same, so I bring my passport and expect to have to produce it.

What I genuinely don't understand is why Americans, who have become much more strict about foreigners entering their country, think they should be able to behave differently. You demand passports, so why do you think you should be able to offer Drivers Licenses or photocopies when you yourselves won't accept them?

I do see that Americans are able to get away with this double standard in many places. So far. You've shown that through the many examples you've cited here, and maybe that will always be the case - you'll get special treatment.

As for me (not an American) I get no special treatment, I don't expect any, and therefore I bring my passport shore.

I know I should have my head examined for responding again, but have you even read or attempted to understand the prior posts explaining why your impression of what documents are required for whom is so wrong?

In almost every country, no one...not just Americans, not just Canadians, not just Japanese, not just Bulgarians, not just Mexicans, not anyone of any nationality are required to carry their passports while ashore. Everyone had to present proper proof of citizenship upon checking in for the cruise. If they did not have proper documentation they wouldn't have been allowed to board the cruise.

Apparently you don't remember that no one asked for your passport when you disembarked in your ports of call. You were only asked to produce it when you checked in at your embarkation port and again when you disembarked at the end of your cruise. Why would that be? Do you think it just might mean that you weren't required to carry it with you in your ports of call?

Look, it's your choice to carry your passport ashore if you wish. But it's also your choice if you don't wish to...and it's also my choice and the choice of every passenger on the cruise ship regardless of their citizenship. So please stop the xenophobic comments about Americans, and get a grip on the facts about what documents are required on shore versus what you can choose to carry or not carry at your discretion.

// It's my position that a passport is the gold standard when people are abroad, and I prefer not to take the risk that foreign customs personnel will find some other document acceptable just because I think they should. //

Sorry, but you're being frustratingly bull-headed about this. And I truly believe that's because you don't understand.

If you want to argue that you want your passport ashore with you in case you miss your sailing, there's a minority who agree.

We can all understand that point-of-view. Most of us don't rate missing the sailing as likely as losing a passport ashore, but each to their own comfort level.

But "taking the risk that foreign customs personnel will find some other document acceptable just because I think they should"?

Nonsense.

You are taking the risk that foreign customs personnel will find some other document acceptable because those immigration officers say they are.

Which of course is no risk at all.

So I don't understand why you think it's a problem.

You and I don't have Americans' advantage of not needing a passport on a closed-loop cruise.

Which means we need our passports to go home after our cruises.

I don't want my return home blighted by having my passport lost, stolen or damaged ashore.

Which is why mine stays tucked up in my cabin safe when I'm not required to carry it.

You seem more concerned that you'll be stranded in some foreign port cos immigration officers won't let you back on the ship without your passport. :confused:

I got caught out once.

In Venice.

We were told that we needed to take our passports ashore.

Nah. JB knows best. JB has cruised round Italy lots of times without needing his passport ashore, so JB didn't take his passport ashore.

Sure enough, returning to the ship we were asked to show our passports.

Seems Venice is the exception.

Am I still stuck in Venice?

No, I had to join a little line of other miscreants, and an immigration officer went through the ship's manifest with ship's purser's staff before we were allowed through with tails between legs.:o

That's a place where passports were required.

And you're worried about places where they're not.:confused:

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I know I should have my head examined for responding again, but have you even read or attempted to understand the prior posts explaining why your impression of what documents are required for whom is so wrong?

I never said anything people said was wrong, or claimed to be an expert about requirements foreign countries may have. I explained that the passport seems like the best option to take ashore, in my opinion, given my circumstances and experiences.

In almost every country, no one...not just Americans, not just Canadians, not just Japanese, not just Bulgarians, not just Mexicans, not anyone of any nationality are required to carry their passports while ashore. Everyone had to present proper proof of citizenship upon checking in for the cruise. If they did not have proper documentation they wouldn't have been allowed to board the cruise.

I'm charmed you think your being on a magical floating ship makes customs officials on land in foreign countries adhere to some kind of special international cruising protocol. Sure, they probably don't hassle the cruisers who spend all that dough when they're in port. But as for me, if I end up in a foreign police station or hospital through no fault of my own, I want my passport at hand. We all travel in our own way. You go yours, I'll go mine.

Apparently you don't remember that no one asked for your passport when you disembarked in your ports of call. You were only asked to produce it when you checked in at your embarkation port and again when you disembarked at the end of your cruise. Why would that be? Do you think it just might mean that you weren't required to carry it with you in your ports of call?

No one asks you for a passport when you leave a place, any place, whether it's a ship or a country. You only get asked when you're trying to enter. I remember very well every detail of our disembarkation in St Kitts and San Juan, so please don't be insulting about my memory or intelligence. Exiting has nothing to do with re-entering. Nobody cares when you leave. You just shouldn't assume they equally don't care when you try to come back in.

Look, it's your choice to carry your passport ashore if you wish. But it's also your choice if you don't wish to...and it's also my choice and the choice of every passenger on the cruise ship regardless of their citizenship. So please stop the xenophobic comments about Americans, and get a grip on the facts about what documents are required on shore versus what you can choose to carry or not carry at your discretion.

I'm not a xenophobe about Americans. They're my neighbors, I like them, and I often travel in their country. I freely choose to enter their country with the documentation they demand (A passport. Period.) I asked a question I'd genuinely like to know the answer to. Why do Americans require other nationalities to have a passport, but Americans don't think they should need a passport when traveling abroad? That's not xenophobia, it's a simple question, and you didn't answer it.

Edited by wassup4565

I'm not trying to be mean or difficult, but I choose to leave "it" along with my passport in my Cabin safe as I always have

I appreciate the humour - really I do. I'll try to lighten up despite being accused of not reading or being able to understand. Or of being a xenophobe - wow, that really hurt - if you knew me, you'd know how far I am from xenophobia.

Sorry, but you're being frustratingly bull-headed about this. And I truly believe that's because you don't understand.

So far I haven't insulted anybody in this discussion by implying they are too stupid to read, understand, or consider the views of others. So far I've been accused of all the above, plus xenophobia. Draw your own conclusions about the tone of this debate.

If you want to argue that you want your passport ashore with you in case you miss your sailing, there's a minority who agree.

We can all understand that point-of-view. Most of us don't rate missing the sailing as likely as losing a passport ashore, but each to their own comfort level.

Exactly my point. My comfort level dropped quite low when twice, on the same sailing, it appeared we would have a serious problem re-boarding if we had not had our passports with us. That's two hassles, solved by passports, on an 8-night cruise.

As for losing the passport ashore, there are a lot of things I don't want to lose ashore - my cash, my i-phone and my credit card, along with my passport. I can either cower on the ship and never get off, or I can figure out how to travel as a grown-up and make sure all my stuff doesn't get lost or stolen.

I have some wonderful "secret pockets" sewn into my pants and shorts. Found the directions on the internet, and believe me, no thief will get my stuff without my hootchy-cootchy knowing there's roman hands in there.

But "taking the risk that foreign customs personnel will find some other document acceptable just because I think they should"?

Nonsense.

You are taking the risk that foreign customs personnel will find some other document acceptable because those immigration officers say they are.

Which of course is no risk at all.

So I don't understand why you think it's a problem.

I never know what foreign customs and immigration people are thinking or looking for. I know that a passport is the gold standard, and if they won't accept my passport, it's time for me to call the trouble line at Foreign Affairs in Ottawa. However, I figure if I call that trouble line and tell them I didn't bring my passport with me, they could properly look at me a an idiot who shouldn't be traveling abroad.

You and I don't have Americans' advantage of not needing a passport on a closed-loop cruise.

Which means we need our passports to go home after our cruises.

I don't want my return home blighted by having my passport lost, stolen or damaged ashore.

Which is why mine stays tucked up in my cabin safe when I'm not required to carry it.

You seem more concerned that you'll be stranded in some foreign port cos immigration officers won't let you back on the ship without your passport. :confused:

I got caught out once.

In Venice.

We were told that we needed to take our passports ashore.

Nah. JB knows best. JB has cruised round Italy lots of times without needing his passport ashore, so JB didn't take his passport ashore.

Sure enough, returning to the ship we were asked to show our passports.

Seems Venice is the exception.

Am I still stuck in Venice?

No, I had to join a little line of other miscreants, and an immigration officer went through the ship's manifest with ship's purser's staff before we were allowed through with tails between legs.:o

That's a place where passports were required.

And you're worried about places where they're not.:confused:

Well, but you were in Venice! Of all places to be forced to stay ashore, I'd pick Venice in a minute. Good work, thanks. I'm leaving my passport aboard in Venice!!!!! Good tip!!!!

I asked a question I'd genuinely like to know the answer to. Why do Americans require other nationalities to have a passport, but Americans don't think they should need a passport when traveling abroad? That's not xenophobia, it's a simple question, and you didn't answer it.

OK, I'll answer it. Americans don't think they should need a passport when they go abroad, because their own government and the government of the places they're visiting tells them they don't need a passport.

If you want to know why foreign goverments allow Americans in without passports, that I don't know. But it's hardly anything to criticise the Americans for - criticise the foreign governments if you must.

Why do Americans require other nationalities to have a passport, but Americans don't think they should need a passport when traveling abroad?

Why pick on America?

Pretty-well all countries require foreign nationals (that includes the USA), and their own nationals, to have a passport to enter their country.

But many countries, including every Caribbean country I've cruised to, give a dispensation to all nationalities (and that includes Americans) when they arrive and depart on a cruise ship port-of-call, because they've already been vetted when boarding as explained by a very patient njhorseman earlier in this thread.

A lot don't give that dispensation. Presumably the USA doesn't (I've never cruised to it), nor do countries like Egypt, Venice ;) & Russia.

The only US peculiarity is that it allows its citizens to depart the US by cruise ship & return there without a passport, provided it's on a closed-loop cruise. An American dispensation to American citizens, affecting only US soil - something which doesn't affect your or me.

BTW, leaving your passport on the ship in Venice won't give you an extended vacation. Mine was only extended by about ten minutes :D

Why pick on America?

Pretty-well all countries require foreign nationals (that includes the USA), and their own nationals, to have a passport to enter their country.

But many countries, including every Caribbean country I've cruised to, give a dispensation to all nationalities (and that includes Americans) when they arrive and depart on a cruise ship port-of-call, because they've already been vetted when boarding as explained by a very patient njhorseman earlier in this thread.

Except when they don't. As when my daughter and I, Canadian citizens with our ship cards in good order, were pulled aside in San Juan seven weeks ago and asked to produce our passports. The US customs guy even suggested they might have to do a search of us (what, body cavities??? Yikes!) We quickly produced our passports and I said to the US customs guy, "Why are you doing this? We are your friends." The passports got us through, and no cavity search.

I'm not telling anyone what to do. I'm recounting true experiences we had, and our conclusions about the documentation we think we need to bring ashore. Everyone should govern themselves accordingly.

BTW, leaving your passport on the ship in Venice won't give you an extended vacation. Mine was only extended by about ten minutes :D

Well that's bad news. Because I'd be willing to go through quite a lot to score some extra hours in Venice.

OK, I'll answer it. Americans don't think they should need a passport when they go abroad, because their own government and the government of the places they're visiting tells them they don't need a passport.

If you want to know why foreign goverments allow Americans in without passports, that I don't know. But it's hardly anything to criticise the Americans for - criticise the foreign governments if you must.

dsrdsrdsr, I don't think I criticized anyone. I asked a question. If asking a question is characterized as criticizing, then we got a bigger problem than passports.

As for Americans who you suggest believe the foreign places they visit will give them special treatment - seems to be true, so far. Maybe it will be forever. And maybe they deserve to be treated specially - that's a debate I'm not interested in participating in.

Since I'm not an American, I'll bring my passport with me into any foreign country I enter.

dsrdsrdsr, I don't think I criticized anyone. I asked a question. If asking a question is characterized as criticizing, then we got a bigger problem than passports.

As for Americans who you suggest believe the foreign places they visit will give them special treatment - seems to be true, so far. Maybe it will be forever. And maybe they deserve to be treated specially - that's a debate I'm not interested in participating in.

Since I'm not an American, I'll bring my passport with me into any foreign country I enter.

You're still confusing the issue of what documentation you need to take ashore with what documentation is needed to take the cruise.

Yes, Americans can take certain cruises without having a passport, but that has nothing to do with what is required of any cruise passenger of any nationality when going ashore. In almost all countries, no passengers of any nationality are required to carry their passport ashore, so Americans are not getting any special treatment in that respect, and remember that is what this thread is about....the title of the original post is "Passport: Keep it on the boat for shore excursions?", not "Do I need a passport to take my cruise?".

I always use my passport for international travel, even on closed loop cruises where I don't have to because I'm an American citizen, but I never take it ashore unless the country I'm visiting requires it. What you do is your personal choice, but please stop mixing up two completely different issues.

I don't think I'm mixing anything up at all. The original question, as you say, was "Should I take my passport ashore for shore excursions?"

My answer is: based on my recent experience as a Canadian traveling on a ship that started in FL is, yes, I would take my passport ashore.

Your experience as an American on the same kind of trip leads you to answer, no, I would not.

Perhaps the circumstances of people reading these posts will lead them to adopt either your advice or mine - that's their decision.

Edited by wassup4565

I don't think I'm mixing anything up at all. The original question, as you say, was "Should I take my passport ashore for shore excursions?"

My answer is: based on my recent experience as a Canadian traveling on a ship that started in FL is, yes, I would take my passport ashore.

Your experience as an American on the same kind of trip leads you to answer, no, I would not.

Perhaps the circumstances of people reading these posts will lead them to adopt either your advice or mine - that's their decision.

You keep wanting to make this into an American versus Canadian issue, which is nonsense. It's actually experienced travelers (me and others) versus an apparently relatively inexperienced traveler (you).

Read posts #61 and 67. Poster "John Bull" is from England (you wouldn't know that from his screen name, would you ;)). He doesn't carry his passport ashore either (including one incident he mentioned where he didn't when he actually was instructed to carry it). Does that make it a US and UK versus Canada issue?

Obviously you're free to carry your passport ashore if you wish, and I'm free to leave it locked in my cabin safe...but it's a matter of personal choice, not nationality, unless you're instructed otherwise.

Edited by njhorseman

First cruise coming up and I apologise in advance if this has already been answered but I tried reading through all above, including America v Canada ( and they're friends :-) )... I intend leaving my passport in the safe, we are from the UK and my wife does not have a photograph driving licence, also have a 16 year old son with no driving licence, will my wife's work ID ( local government issue) work for her?.. My son also has a 'young Scot' card issued with his photo which is government backed for teenagers to prove their age when visiting cinemas and buying age restricted products etc.... If neither are any use can you suggest what I will need to get before I travel......I always photocopy my passport and also e-mail myself a copy, that way if everything is lost you can always access the details .. Thanks

First cruise coming up and I apologise in advance if this has already been answered but I tried reading through all above, including America v Canada ( and they're friends :-) )... I intend leaving my passport in the safe, we are from the UK and my wife does not have a photograph driving licence, also have a 16 year old son with no driving licence, will my wife's work ID ( local government issue) work for her?.. My son also has a 'young Scot' card issued with his photo which is government backed for teenagers to prove their age when visiting cinemas and buying age restricted products etc.... If neither are any use can you suggest what I will need to get before I travel......I always photocopy my passport and also e-mail myself a copy, that way if everything is lost you can always access the details .. Thanks

You don't need anything. In countries where you're required to carry a passport, then you carry a passport. In countries where you're not required to carry a passport, you don't need any photo ID at all. You can carry a photocopy of a passport just in case, if you like.

You don't need anything. In countries where you're required to carry a passport, then you carry a passport. In countries where you're not required to carry a passport, you don't need any photo ID at all. You can carry a photocopy of a passport just in case, if you like.

That's not true. There are ports that require you to show a photo ID to reenter the cruise terminal even though you're not required to take your passport ashore. This is even true in the US for citizens of every country, including the US. In Nassau, Bahamas you have to show a photo ID to enter the cruise terminal. I've been to any number of ports with similar rules. None of those ports require you to carry a passport while ashore.

If someone needs a photo ID, has nothing but a passport and does not wish to carry their passport, a photocopy will suffice, as you state.