Pack a lunch for shore days?

rocketlegs

Depends on two factors - what you're packing and where you are. The location is the most important because local laws and regulations will dictate whether and what you can bring ashore. Many locales prohibit fruits, vegetables, meats, etc. in order to minimize the risk of infestation. The Freestyle Daily will publish the guidelines for each port of call. Keep in mind that fines can be pretty stiff for breaking these laws. Very often, there is also a sign at the port's cruise terminal where you disembark that will lay out the local rules along with a garbage can for dumping banned items. Port Canaveral is one such port. The "what" is also important because most pre-packaged items are usually fine (e.g., snack bars, bags of chips).

Is it possible to get a lunch packed for shore days, since we've paid for the lunch we're going miss? It would be nice to be on the beach all day without having to bother to go to a restaurant.
Let's just say I may pack some sandwich bags just incase!;):o Edited by *Luv2Cruz*

The rule of thumb and policy is no.

This doesn't have anything to do with "the lunch you paid for" but has to do with each country has their own laws and regulations about bringing food in from somewhere else. Most prohibit fresh fruit and veggies, others are stricter.

Most don't check bags when you are getting off the ship, some do.

on our sailings, there has always been a sign at the exit of the ship that stated "do not take food off of the ship"

Edited by che5904

I was thinking of packing a lunch for the Key West day. We plan to be at Fort Zachary beach all day.

Same thing. Introduction of food from a ship to shore is frowned upon, and often regulated.

As said...practice might be different. Especially with prepackaged snacks, water, etc.

Is it possible to get a lunch packed for shore days, since we've paid for the lunch we're going miss?

If you miss the lunch that is served onboard, that's because you chose to. The fact that there is a lunch available doesn't mean that you'd be entitled to it where ever you are. That would be like demanding a lounger from your balcony to be allowed to be brought off the ship because you'd miss out on that too.

That would be like demanding a lounger from your balcony to be allowed to be brought off the ship because you'd miss out on that too.

:D thanks, now you have to come help me clean the coffee off of my computer screen. I'm envisioning 1000 passengers trying to get onto tender boats with a lounger tucked under their arm. :p

Edited by che5904

They don't search your bags when you leave. Don't take any fruit and you should be fine. We have done this (I am an admitted rule breaker). There are some great places to eat in Key West if you are worried about the rules. We really don't pack a lunch except in extreme circumstances since you are going somewhere new and want to try the local foods.

I think of it this way. We all have own local laws vital to our own communities. They protect our local economy, public safety and or environment. Many may not sense to visitors, but do to each of us(or maybe not). I would want all visiting my home to respect these laws, therefore I should respect theirs.

Agriculture is vital to Florida's economy, therefore any notice restricting food items should be observed.

A few years ago, it was reported a snake had entered Hawaii. The entire state was looking for that snake. I think it was finally discovered to be a hoax.

To the OP, I appreciate that you asked, instead if just "doing".

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think of it this way. We all have own local laws vital to our own communities. They protect our local economy, public safety and or environment. Many may not sense to visitors, but do to each of us(or maybe not). I would want all visiting my home to respect these laws, therefore I should respect theirs.

Agriculture is vital to Florida's economy, therefore any notice restricting food items should be observed.

A few years ago, it was reported a snake had entered Hawaii. The entire state was looking for that snake. I think it was finally discovered to be a hoax.

To the OP, I appreciate that you asked, instead if just "doing".

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That's why I asked. Didn't want to break a law or rule unknowingly.

A piece of cooked ham on a breakfast croisant is not going to put any place in agricultural danger - however, that backpack that you have your bug infested personal items in might not be so friendly. All food is not the enemy.

Pre-packaged food is best.. Chex party mix, trail mix and stuff like that.................as many have said here... no fruit.[

Yes. We bring protein bars with us and use if needed. I would not want perishable food at the beach that has been in the heat for several hours.

Also a good excuse to have an omelet or other filling food at breakfast and not worry about eating again until we get back onboard.

That said, I have seen many people do this anyway, even in hot climates. Not a good idea in my opinion.

We generally prefer to get a proper lunch in Port and support the local economy (why we don't like all inclusive on land based holidays). However, if you want to bring stuff off for a snack I always pack a few cereal bars and bars of chocolate. That way you aren't violating rules but you can deal with hunger pangs :)

P.s. I'm NOT a rule breaker :D

Sometimes we will split port time in half. Go back on the ship to have lunch in Cagney's and a light rest/refresh before heading out again.

Another idea is to take prepackaged meal replacement bars for a lunch/snack. Have a big breakfast and dinner and make lunch the light meal.

Maybe buy some local fruit in portost in minimal and you can supplement the economy.

I seem to remember reading a POA review that said there is a special area at the breakfast buffet where you can make sandwiches to take off ship. Is this true?

No it's not true and I've approached the POA Hotel director about it a few years ago after seeing people taking food off ship.

The area set up on POA is the same as other cruises that have a large % of foreign passengers ie European and Asian pax now have cold meats because they tend to eat cold cuts, pickled herring etc for breakfast. Has nothing to do with being able to take food off ship. I also think most if not all NCL ships now have cold cuts on the breakfast buffet.

Having said that while I don't personally agree with taking food off ships for many reasons that have already been stated here but rather like to support the port/country we are visiting, its about supporting their economy.

On POA ship you can take food off if you so desire because your not leaving the state of Hawaii and that all there products are imported in to the islands. Ships that are visiting ports/countries outside of the US the country they have embarked from is just a big no no for taking food of or on the ship same goes for flying and that is why some airlines have taken to fumigating their aircraft.

I'm traveling in a few weeks and one of my travel mates is a diabetic. She can't take the risk of not having food on her during an excursion, particularly when she's not in control of when/where stops will occur.

It's good to know pre-packaged foods such as protein bars/etc are the preference, but in this case, it would be nice to have an option of acceptable provisions from the ship.

Personally, I am happy to experience the local food, it's part of the adventure.

As someone who has spent a lifetime in the food industry, I would never take perishable food off a ship for lunch. Not worth the risk to the enviroment or your health.

The temperature range in which food-borne
can grow is known as the
danger zone
. Food safety agencies, such as the United States'
, define the danger zone as roughly 4–5 to 60 °C (39–41 to 140 °F).
should not be stored at temperatures in this range in order to prevent
, and food that remains in this zone for more than two hours should not be consumed. Foodborne microorganisms grow much faster in the middle of the zone, at temperatures between 21 and 47 °C (70 and 117 °F).

Someone posted that they don't search bags getting off the ship. 3 weeks ago in Cozumel Mexican authorities stopped and checked every bag, purse and container coming off the ship. They had two large trash cans over flowing with food items that they found. Only originally sealed items were getting through. Not much of a bottle neck as only those with items to be searched were directed through the line, all others walked straight through. The few that argued, i.e. baby food, diabetic etc. were sent back to the ship.