New Cruise Lines In Baltimore???

Bmorecruiser021

Does anyone have insider info on what cruise line, or lines will be coming to Baltimore? I have read a ton of article and all they say is the port is in "talks with other cruise lines to fill carnivals void." Does anyone know for sure who they are talking to, and if so which ships in their fleet could call Baltimore home?

Fallow up to that, does anyone know all the cruise line that have sailed out of Baltimore in the past and why they left? Other then Carnival Pride leaving I cant seem to find any other info on the subject. Thanks!

No one knows if there is a replacement line and until there is a deal or a leak within one of the cruise lines we probably won't know. Carnival is not "confirming permanency" of the Baltimore removal at this point (aka they *might* be back once scrubbers are installed). This will probably depend on whether or not their is a replacement line.

I know Celebrity Mercury went out of Baltimore a few years ago, but I have no idea why they pulled out.

No one knows if there is a replacement line and until there is a deal or a leak within one of the cruise lines we probably won't know. Carnival is not "confirming permanency" of the Baltimore removal at this point (aka they *might* be back once scrubbers are installed). This will probably depend on whether or not their is a replacement line.

I know Celebrity Mercury went out of Baltimore a few years ago, but I have no idea why they pulled out.

Take it for what it's worth, but we just got off the Pride and the cruise director told us that Carnival will be back in Baltimore, most likely a few months after they pull out.

Take it for what it's worth, but we just got off the Pride and the cruise director told us that Carnival will be back in Baltimore, most likely a few months after they pull out.

I have heard the same comment. I know that Carnival just announced that it would be returning Valor to Norfolk.

I have heard the same comment. I know that Carnival just announced that it would be returning Valor to Norfolk.

How do you know it will be the Valor? Carnival's announcement that was in our local paper here yesterday stated a ship and the itineraries have not been decided yet. Carnival stated that announcement would come this spring. I'm just asking in case you have heard something no one else has that could be considered "official".

Also, and this is just speculation on my part. For 2015 the Splendor is going to be the ship splitting time between Florida and NYC. To me that would probably be the ship that sails from Norfolk while it repositions in the spring and fall as the Glory did.

Edited by Eng23

How do you know it will be the Valor? Carnival's announcement that was in our local paper here yesterday stated a ship and the itineraries have not been decided yet. Carnival stated that announcement would come this spring. I'm just asking in case you have heard something no one else has that could be considered "official".

Also, and this is just speculation on my part. For 2015 the Splendor is going to be the ship splitting time between Florida and NYC. To me that would probably be the ship that sails from Norfolk while it repositions in the spring and fall as the Glory did.

No. I have no grapevine....I was reading the same news story and threads as you, and for whatever reason, I thought I read that Valor was coming. I have no idea where that idea came from...spending too much time on here, reading too many threads, and getting stuff all mixed up...lol.

In terms of Splendor, maybe - if so, there would not be too many cruises out of Norfolk, right?

No. I have no grapevine....I was reading the same news story and threads as you, and for whatever reason, I thought I read that Valor was coming. I have no idea where that idea came from...spending too much time on here, reading too many threads, and getting stuff all mixed up...lol.

In terms of Splendor, maybe - if so, there would not be too many cruises out of Norfolk, right?

Okay. The report stated 10-12 cruises per year. That would be about the same as when we had the Glory, probably 5-6 in the spring and 5-6 in the fall. The most interesting part of the announcement was that the itineraries would include the Caribbean and not just the Bahamas as in the past.

One other funny thing, in the newspaper the front page had a Carnival ship pictured. It pictured the Carnival Magic, and I know that the Magic will not be the ship that comes to Norfolk!

Edited by Eng23

Okay. The report stated 10-12 cruises per year. That would be about the same as when we had the Glory, probably 5-6 in the spring and 5-6 in the fall. The most interesting part of the announcement was that the itineraries would include the Caribbean and not just the Bahamas as in the past.

One other funny thing, in the newspaper the front page had a Carnival ship pictured. It pictured the Carnival Magic, and I know that the Magic will not be the ship that comes to Norfolk!

I was just rereading the original thread - I definitely jumped off before some if this was discussed. I get what you are saying now about Splendor stopping over. It does make sense, or if the Pride is only sailing out of Baltimore in summer, it could also do a few cruise out of Norfolk, and then move down to Tampa.

I was just rereading the original thread - I definitely jumped off before some if this was discussed. I get what you are saying now about Splendor stopping over. It does make sense, or if the Pride is only sailing out of Baltimore in summer, it could also do a few cruise out of Norfolk, and then move down to Tampa.

Since there is still no "official" word on Baltimore getting Carnival to come back yet I can't even guess what will be done with the Pride. I have to wonder if it will stay in Tampa year round. With the Pride relocating to Tampa later this year that gives Tampa two Carnival ships as the Paradise sails from there all year. As it is currently when Carnival returns to Baltimore we know the ship cannot be larger than a Spirit Class ship and Pride will be the only Spirit Class ship on or near the east coast.

Since there is still no "official" word on Baltimore getting Carnival to come back yet I can't even guess what will be done with the Pride. I have to wonder if it will stay in Tampa year round. With the Pride relocating to Tampa later this year that gives Tampa two Carnival ships as the Paradise sails from there all year. As it is currently when Carnival returns to Baltimore we know the ship cannot be larger than a Spirit Class ship and Pride will be the only Spirit Class ship on or near the east coast.

Nothing official, but lots a unofficial rumors indicating that they would be back.

I'm just curious. For you folks in and around Baltimore, "IF" a new terminal were built south of the Bay Bridge how long of a drive would it be? Would folks from Baltimore make that drive?

I wouldn't even begin to know where they'd be able to put that terminal without angering the people with waterfront property. The premise of your question pretty much depends on whether the terminal was on the eastern shore or the mainland.

I'm not sure it'd be on the eastern shore so let's say Lexington Park by the Patuxent Naval Air Station (that's mainland). It's 90 minutes from DC, 2 hours from downtown Baltimore. The roads down there aren't major interstates and aren't set up for a major traffic flow--it's kind of like Route 1 when you get towards the Delaware beaches. Bleh.

For my family it's a nearly three hour drive to Lexington Park, four hours to Norfolk, or three to NYC. The other major brands are still competing in NYC year-round (we mostly travel in the winter months) and RCI seems happy enough to have a ship an hour away in ever-convenient Baltimore--so even with a new terminal for a larger CCL ship we'd still probably go out of Baltimore or NYC on another line.

I wouldn't even begin to know where they'd be able to put that terminal without angering the people with waterfront property. The premise of your question pretty much depends on whether the terminal was on the eastern shore or the mainland.

I'm not sure it'd be on the eastern shore so let's say Lexington Park by the Patuxent Naval Air Station (that's mainland). It's 90 minutes from DC, 2 hours from downtown Baltimore. The roads down there aren't major interstates and aren't set up for a major traffic flow--it's kind of like Route 1 when you get towards the Delaware beaches. Bleh.

For my family it's a nearly three hour drive to Lexington Park, four hours to Norfolk, or three to NYC. The other major brands are still competing in NYC year-round (we mostly travel in the winter months) and RCI seems happy enough to have a ship an hour away in ever-convenient Baltimore--so even with a new terminal for a larger CCL ship we'd still probably go out of Baltimore or NYC on another line.

Thanks for your response and point of view.

Edited by Eng23

I'm just curious. For you folks in and around Baltimore, "IF" a new terminal were built south of the Bay Bridge how long of a drive would it be? Would folks from Baltimore make that drive?

I'm about 20min from Baltimore, right in between there and DC and in all honesty if Maryland built another terminal that far south (hour to hour and a half with traffic to the bridge) I might as well travel to NYC or Norfolk for the newer and bigger ships. I've heard rumors that Baltimore is interested in building a new cruise terminal just south of the Key Bridge at Sparrows Point. That would be nice. I've heard that the channel is deep enough to handle bigger ships, it's just the Key Bridge that is too short. I think the captain told us we cleared it by less then 10ft. So eliminating that bridge might bring newer and bigger ships into the Baltimore area :)

I'm about 20min from Baltimore, right in between there and DC and in all honesty if Maryland built another terminal that far south (hour to hour and a half with traffic to the bridge) I might as well travel to NYC or Norfolk for the newer and bigger ships. I've heard rumors that Baltimore is interested in building a new cruise terminal just south of the Key Bridge at Sparrows Point. That would be nice. I've heard that the channel is deep enough to handle bigger ships, it's just the Key Bridge that is too short. I think the captain told us we cleared it by less then 10ft. So eliminating that bridge might bring newer and bigger ships into the Baltimore area :)

I'm familiar with the Sparrows Point area. That is where the US Steel plant used to be. That area would make sense for a cruise terminal as there is plenty of room and deep water access. That would make the Bay-Bridge the last impediment to having larger ships being able to make it up to Baltimore. As I understand it a Spirit Class ship is still the biggest class that can clear the Bay-Bridge (Radiance Class for RCI).

I know we have kinda ventured off of the original topic. So, other cruise lines that I can think of that have ships that can currently access Baltimore would be:

NCL

Celebrity

HAL

maybe Princess

We know Royal Caribbean and Carnival are there already.

Which line is most likely to go to Baltimore? It would be nice to see some feedback from the cruise lines as to their interest to do so.

I know we have kinda ventured off of the original topic. So, other cruise lines that I can think of that have ships that can currently access Baltimore would be:

NCL

Celebrity

HAL

maybe Princess

We know Royal Caribbean and Carnival are there already.

Which line is most likely to go to Baltimore? It would be nice to see some feedback from the cruise lines as to their interest to do so.

I read an article from last spring where state officials expressed the desire to expand the cruise facilities to more than two ships, but they said they would move slowly. They don't want to hurt RCI/Carnival business by bringing in a third or fourth ship. They mentioned approaching Disney in the article (if I remember correctly), but they had no interest in porting a ship in Baltimore - too bad. I would think holiday (Thanksgiving through New Years) would be huge hit for Baltimore area - sail down to PC, and give people shuttle to parks, then off their private island and maybe one other island.

I would love to see any of those mentioned above offer cruises, even it were only a few per year.

If they built a terminal south of the Bay Bridge, I can't imagine they'd choose to put it in Lexington Park. It's well off the beaten path; it's on a peninsula with access only from the north; and there are no interstates or other freeway-type highways (much less commercial airports or train stations) anywhere near it. In terms of regional access, Baltimore sits right on Main Street, whereas Lexington Park is at the end of a long, dead-end street.

Far more likely would be to build a terminal immediately south of the Bay Bridge, near Annapolis. I'm sure they'd put it on the western shore, if for no other reason than to not add to the Bay Bridge traffic load.

Annapolis is about 45 minutes from both Baltimore and Washington and is linked to both cities by freeways (I-97 and U.S. 50, respectively). It's not quite as convenient as Baltimore (in terms of highway and airport access), but it's pretty close.

This is pure speculation but might there be an issue with the draft of the vessel as well as the height? Again, this is speculation only as I am not familiar with the depth of the Bay and the associated ships that sail in it.

Norfolk is a beautiful terminal. It sits right on nice stretch of water [next to Norfolk Waterside] and the Nauticus Museum. There is plenty to do nearby. The terminal itself is ful of glass and used for conferences and weddings when not used by ships. [very few use it now]

It would be a great stop over for ships.

I am not trying to promote my own home port. Baltimore is as close to me as Norfolk. If Carnival returns to ships from Norfolk I do not think they will return to Baltimore, too.

PS--someone asked why Celebrity left Baltimore? They sold the ship they had there--Mercury. It was one of the oldest and smallest they had. It was missing pretty much any bells and whistles. :p We sailed her twice and enjoyed her very much. We were sad to see her go.

The attractiveness of Baltimore to the lines is that Baltimore is in the middle of the NYBaltWash megalopolis. Norfolk is several hours drive for the majority of those for whom Baltimore is less than two hours' drive. Of course the downside is the 6 hours of Chesapeake Bay to navigate. On the same itinerary Norfolk would probably allow a full day in Freeport and/or a late evening departure from Port Canaveral (if the port order was reversed)

I've only read it here but I understand that the Pride is among Carnival's more profitable ships, so I expect Carnival to return with the Pride or another ship that fits under the Key Bridge.