What are your Favorite Cruise Ship Movies?

cruiserking

what about Gilligan's Island? We were never allowed to watch it :eek: but weren't they on an excursion of some kind - "a three hour Tour" ? Does that count as a cruise? ;)

Of course, once they were on the island, I guess the cruise was over!

A little bit of a stretch to include Gilligan's Island since the cruise portion lasted all of three seconds during the opening credits of the show.

I suppose we could expand the list to include navy vessels there are some pretty good films like Mister Roberts and The Final Countdown wasn't bad either.

But, a special drink of the day toast is in order for actor Russell Johnson, the Professor, who passed away at the age of 89 yesterday.

Jonathan

4 pages & NO ONE mentions Dodsworth?

Sam Dodsworth (the late great Walter Huston) contemplates leaving his socialite wife of 25 years (Ruth Chatterton) for Mary Astor, all on a cruse ship...:D

Wonderful book (Sinclair Lewis), wonderful film! (William Wyler)

4 pages & NO ONE mentions Dodsworth?

Sam Dodsworth (the late great Walter Huston) contemplates leaving his socialite wife of 25 years (Ruth Chatterton) for Mary Astor, all on a cruse ship...:D

Wonderful book (Sinclair Lewis), wonderful film! (William Wyler)

This is a terrific film, I discovered a few years ago and was captivated by it, some truly magnificent ship board scenes. Had this one scribbled in my notes but, forgot to include it, thanks Jwm51.

Jonathan

But, a special drink of the day toast is in order for actor Russell Johnson, the Professor, who passed away at the age of 89 yesterday.

Jonathan

That's what made me mention Gilligan's Island ... maybe it could be listed in a new category - Excursions Gone Wrong.

We really liked Final Countdown, but you're right, if you include it on a list of cruise movies, you'd have to include every Naval movie ever made!

Can I include a movie I'd like to see made? How about a Vacation movie on a cruise. The Griswalds (Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo) could take the kids and grandkids. I bet each of us could give suggestions for funny scenes -- probably from real life. Well, that might be another thread....

Can I include a movie I'd like to see made? How about a Vacation movie on a cruise. The Griswalds (Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo) could take the kids and grandkids. I bet each of us could give suggestions for funny scenes -- probably from real life. Well, that might be another thread....

Wow, that's a great idea for a movie "Cruise Vacation" I like it. I know all of us cruise geeks would flock to see it. You should definitely start a thread Jim with ideas or scenarios it would be fun!

Jonathan. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Forums mobile app

No one has said Speed 2 yet, it is not a great movie, but it does have my favorite piece of eye candy, Sandra Bullock.:D It's one of those movies that every time I see it on while channel surfing, I have to watch for a while.

As far as TV, there is an episode of the Simpsons when the whole family went on a cruise and Bart liked the family time so much, he sabotaged the ship to stay on longer, I think we all may have thought about doing that more than once.

No one has said Speed 2 yet, it is not a great movie, but it does have my favorite piece of eye candy, Sandra Bullock.:D It's one of those movies that every time I see it on while channel surfing, I have to watch for a while.

As far as TV, there is an episode of the Simpsons when the whole family went on a cruise and Bart liked the family time so much, he sabotaged the ship to stay on longer, I think we all may have thought about doing that more than once.

Thanks Scootercruise. I was just thinking about Speed 2 recently, not a great film but, some decent cruise footage. Will have to update the Television cruise list with the Simpsons episode.

Another film with some good cruise ship excitement is the Pierce Brosnan Jewel thief flic After the Sunset (2004) with scenes filmed aboard the Seven Seas Navigator.

Jonathan

Thanks for the incentive! Watched a couple Love Boat episodes last night and tonight we are on Poseidon Adventure. Seventies cheese all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your welcome. Isn't it great?

Of course you're already pumped for your Noordam cruise but, those cruise ship movies just feed those starving for a cruise hunger pangs.

It was a private yacht, not a cruise ship, but it's one of my faves:

The Last of Sheila

Good mystery, great cast, nice scenery.

One of my all-time favorites completely forgot about this one thanks Rdsqrl. It was written by Anthony Perkins who also starred in the film and Stephen Sondheim both big mystery buffs and based on a scavenger hunt they designed for their Hollywood pals back in the 70's.

A yacht is fine too, I've already included a yacht film the Cat's Meow set aboard William Randolph Hearsts' yacht, a very big one almost a small ship but, still a yacht.

Need to update the list tonight. Thanks everyone for all of the great responses.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

If you're including yachts ... there was a movie with Kurt Russell and Martin Short ... Short was some kind of uptight executive who wanted to take his family on a vacation ... rented a yacht with Kurt Russell as the drunken, eye-patched captain ... I don't remember too much about it, except that there were some pirates and some flirting between the wife & the Cap'n. And there were lots of beautiful views of the Caribbean!

This is one of the best threads ever!

If you're including yachts ... there was a movie with Kurt Russell and Martin Short ... Short was some kind of uptight executive who wanted to take his family on a vacation ... rented a yacht with Kurt Russell as the drunken, eye-patched captain ... I don't remember too much about it, except that there were some pirates and some flirting between the wife & the Cap'n. And there were lots of beautiful views of the Caribbean!

This is one of the best threads ever!

That one was Captain Ron. There was another with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell which was called Overboard. Slap stick, but I always love Goldie Hawn movies. :D

Titanic II, not a good movie at all but good for a laugh. 100 years after the Titanic sinking a new Titanic sails the same route and gets hit by a iceberg. So bad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640571/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Never even heard of this film, but, with the 1.6 rating on IMDB it's pretty obvious why.

Cruise Critics Favorite Cruise Ship Films - 2014

1.) The Poseidon Adventure

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

5.) An Affair to Remember

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

16.) Shall We Dance

17.) Boat Trip

18.) Bitter Moon

19.) The Last Voyage

20.) Love Affair

21.) Chipwrecked

22.) Beyond the Poseidon Adventure

23.) Poseidon

24.) Jack & Jill - for Allure of the Seas scenes

25.) Royal Wedding

26.) Saboteur - For SS Normandie capsized in NY Harbor

27.) Lifeboat

28.) Captain's Table

29.) Promises, Promises

30.) Ghost Ship

31.) Goliath Awaits

32.) The Perfect Storm

33.) The Magic Christian

34.) Table for Five

35.) Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

36.) Dodsworth

37.) Titanic II

38.) Speed 2

39.) After the Sunset

40.) The Last of Sheila

41.) Captain Ron

42.) Overboard

Cruise Critics Favorite Television Cruise Ship Episodes

1.) I Love Lucy - Bon Voyage

2.) The Love Boat

3.) The Love Boat II

4.) Keeping Up Appearances - Sea Fever

5.) Shackleton

6.) Columbo - Troubled Waters

7.) Frasier - Voyage of the Damned

8.) Designing Women - Cruising

9.) The Twilight Zone - Passage of the Lady Anne

10.) The Simpsons - A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again

Jonathan

I don't think these two have been mentioned yet:

Between Two Worlds (1944). A classic, atmospheric, haunting (in more ways than one) film starring Paul Henreid, Eleanor Parker, John Garfield, Sidney Greenstreet, et al., set on board a mysterious ocean liner. Fantastic score by Erich Wolfgang Korngold:

Assault on a Queen (1966). In this caper flick based on a novel by Jack Finney and adapted for the screen by Rod Sterling, Frank Sinatra assembles a gang and plans a daring heist. (Shades of Ocean's Eleven.) But it's not just any heist--Old Blue Eyes (in a strictly non-singing role) plans to salvage a sunken German U-Boat and use it to stop the Queen Mary on the high seas and rob the ship. Not a great film by any means, but moderately entertaining (thanks in part to a nice jazzy score by Duke Ellington). And the great Cunarder makes an appearance toward the end of the movie.

Assault on a Queen (1966). In this caper flick based on a novel by Jack Finney and adapted for the screen by Rod Sterling, Frank Sinatra assembles a gang and plans a daring heist. (Shades of Ocean's Eleven.) But it's not just any heist--Old Blue Eyes (in a strictly non-singing role) plans to salvage a sunken German U-Boat and use it to stop the Queen Mary on the high seas and rob the ship. Not a great film by any means, but moderately entertaining (thanks in part to a nice jazzy score by Duke Ellington). And the great Cunarder makes an appearance toward the end of the movie.
Being a Navy Mom, I'm rather partial to the destroyer at the end of the movie.:cool:

I don't think these two have been mentioned yet:

Between Two Worlds (1944). A classic, atmospheric, haunting (in more ways than one) film starring Paul Henreid, Eleanor Parker, John Garfield, Sidney Greenstreet, et al., set on board a mysterious ocean liner. Fantastic score by Erich Wolfgang Korngold:

Thanks for these Post Captain. Assault on a Queen I have heard of would love to see someday. Between Two Worlds sounds very interesting but, unfortunately not available on Netflix, will have to keep my eyes peeled for any TCM airings, it sounds like a dandy.

Jonathan

Cruise Critics Favorite Cruise Ship Films - 2014

1.) The Poseidon Adventure

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

5.) An Affair to Remember

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

16.) Shall We Dance

17.) Boat Trip

18.) Bitter Moon

19.) The Last Voyage

20.) Love Affair

21.) Chipwrecked

22.) Beyond the Poseidon Adventure

23.) Poseidon

24.) Jack & Jill - for Allure of the Seas scenes

25.) Royal Wedding

26.) Saboteur - For SS Normandie capsized in NY Harbor

27.) Lifeboat

28.) Captain's Table

29.) Promises, Promises

30.) Ghost Ship

31.) Goliath Awaits

32.) The Perfect Storm

33.) The Magic Christian

34.) Table for Five

35.) Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

36.) Dodsworth

37.) Titanic II

38.) Speed 2

39.) After the Sunset

40.) The Last of Sheila

41.) Captain Ron

42.) Overboard

43.) Assault on a Queen

44.) Between Two Worlds

Jonathan

Episode of Kolchak, a horror series with Darren Mcgaven of Christmas story fame.

Thanks Dkjretired. I remember the Night Stalker, never watched it when I was a kid but, this episode sounds great. It's from Season 1 episode 5

Titled: The Werewolf:

from IMDB: Kolchak is on assignment to interview singles aboard a cruise ship, and finds out some kind of wolf creature is killing passengers during the full moon.

Would love to dig this up online somewhere.

Cruise Critics Favorite Television Cruise Ship Episodes

1.) I Love Lucy - Bon Voyage

2.) The Love Boat

3.) The Love Boat II

4.) Keeping Up Appearances - Sea Fever

5.) Shackleton

6.) Columbo - Troubled Waters

7.) Frasier - Voyage of the Damned

8.) Designing Women - Cruising

9.) The Twilight Zone - Passage of the Lady Anne

10.) The Simpsons - A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again

11.) The Night Stalker - The Werewolf

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Thanks for these Post Captain. Assault on a Queen I have heard of would love to see someday. Between Two Worlds sounds very interesting but, unfortunately not available on Netflix, will have to keep my eyes peeled for any TCM airings, it sounds like a dandy.

Jonathan

Unfortunately, Assault on a Queen wasn't as good as it sounds. Very talky--the members of Sinatra's gang spend a lot of time arguing among themselves before they actually get down to action, and the story moves rather slowly from there before reaching the denouement. I generally love Sinatra as an actor and as a singer, but this was not one of his better efforts.

Between Two Worlds is a minor classic. (Alas, it was mostly filmed in a studio, not on board a real ship. But don't let that stop you from seeing it.) When our ship entered a fog bank recently, my wife turned to me and simply said: "Between Two Worlds!" I immediately knew what she meant.

Both movies used to be shown frequently, many years ago, on Channel 9 and/or Channel 11 in New York.

Unfortunately, Assault on a Queen wasn't as good as it sounds. Very talky--the members of Sinatra's gang spend a lot of time arguing among themselves before they actually get down to action, and the story moves rather slowly from there before reaching the denouement. I generally love Sinatra as an actor and as a singer, but this was not one of his better efforts.

Between Two Worlds is a minor classic. (Alas, it was mostly filmed in a studio, not on board a real ship. But don't let that stop you from seeing it.) When our ship entered a fog bank recently, my wife turned to me and simply said: "Between Two Worlds!" I immediately knew what she meant.

Both movies used to be shown frequently, many years ago, on Channel 9 and/or Channel 11 in New York.

I just watched a few short clips of Between Two Worlds at the TCM website and it is very reminiscent of a marvelous episode of the Twilight Zone called the Passage of the Lady Anne, that Cruise Critic AKman2495 mentioned earlier in the thread.

It's not doubt the Between Two Worlds inspired the Twilight Zone. If you've not seen this episode it's well worth it, here's another link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5hlObQm63w

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Going back further in the film vaults, "Between Two Worlds" was a remake of "Outward Bound" (1930), starring Leslie Howard and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. Trailer: