Two questions

DJSchib

Yes, I use a tanning bed prior to a Caribbean cruise. I am fair and start 2 months prior. The salon I use is very good and always advises on timing. They are aware I don't want a tan just to acclimate my skin. We do short sessions building a minute at a time. I am slightly less white when I cruise.

On the cruise I wear a sun block. Since starting my pre cruise visits to a tanning salon I have not burnt even in conditions where my darker skinned DH has. It is a case if weighing the odds. I feel it is better for me to pre tan rather than burn. A personal choice.

Cheers, h.

Sent from the nether world using magic

IMHO....Do not use tanning beds. I have just made it 1 year on interferon for melanoma. Not much fun. That being said, It is very difficult to not get sunburn in the Caribbean. I try to use stronger sunscreen, look for shade more, always wear sunglasses, am going to try hats this time and wear a lite weight bathing cover up. Happy sailing....

We have been cruising for several years. When I look back at some of the stuff we packed on those first few cruises I cringe at how much we carried with us.

I'm definitely a list maker. It actually helps me to pack lighter. But that being said parts of my list have gotten longer. I've learned things that I don't like being without.

We have narrowed things down to where we each pack a large suit case. We still get dressed up. Hubby still wears his tux for both formal nights. We manage to get all our clothes and shoes folded neatly into the those suitcases. We use 1 rolling carry-on sized bag and its mostly filled with our sodas and wine. I also have a cosmetic bag that's a bout the size of a cooler for a 6 pack that I carry on with our daily meds and my indispensable cosmetics :)

The nice thing about rolling our sodas on in the suitcase is that we drink them in our room. And have all that space to bring back anything we have purchased while on our trip. I thank the travel agent who gave me that tip about 16 years ago.

We'll be flying for a 16 day cruise this spring. I'm currently working on lists of new ways to pack to make it through airport security. We will be flying SW for the trip out which doesn't have luggage fees. But we'll be flying back on a different airline and we are trying to decide whether we can make it with 1 extra suitcase or whether we'll need 2 for each of us.

I am VERY fair. My mother has survived melanoma. I have been on the 'no tan, never tan' bandwagon for years UNTIL cruise before last when in spite of reapplying and reapplying AND wearing a rashguard and hat, my face and legs got burned.

So...last year I went to the tanning salon two months prior to our cruise. GASP!! I started out slowly, VERY slowly. FOUR minutes. 2-3 times a week. We only moved the time up in one minute increments. By the end of two months, I had just barely hit the full 20 minutes.

It worked. We had all water-related shore excursions, and I did not burn. I still wore my hat and rashguard and reapplied and reapplied. But no burning.

My personal opinion is FOR ME, the slow tan in the tanning bed was so much better for me than the possible burn would have been.

I would do it again, but our next cruise is Canada-New England so I won't need to worry about it!

JMO.

Robin

I've never been to a tanning salon, so no, I don't do that.

I can and have packed for a 7 day cruise in a carry-on bag, but usually we each take about a 25" bag that we check and one small carry-on for things like jewelry, cameras, electronics, etc. that we don't want to check.

If going on a longer cruise we sometimes take on additional smaller bag for shoes, snorkel equipment, etc.

I mostly pack enough clothes for 7-10 days and if we are gone longer plan on doing laundry. I do some hand-washing if needed also.

Robin7 your methodology is the same as mine. I feel the sunbed option is better than the burn I would get even if I re applied sun block every hour on the hour.

USA produced sunblocks, in general, do not give as good UVA protection as a European one with the same SPF.

A light covering of clothing does not protect one, only uncomfortably thick or preferably SPF certified/rashguard clothing will prevent burns.

I wear a long sleeved rashguard t-shirt when snorkeling to prevent my back burning through the water.

I am in favour of a garment bag for your check in if you are both using a good sized carryon; it is surprising what one can fit in a garment bag, and it cuts down on creases.

Try the USA ports forum for further info on storage by the port you are departing from.

Have a great cruise and try not to burn.

Cheers, h.

Enjoy your first cruise (First & Foremost)!

1. Yes, I do normally go tanning at least a handful of times during the month prior to leaving (assuming I'm going on a cruise in the winter months when I don't already have a tan). For me, if I have a base tan the odds of me getting burned onboard decreases greatly. Plus, I feel that I look better in sundresses & bathing suit with a hint of tan. :)

My husband will normally go a few times too, but just so he doesn't burn onboard - which he does easily. While onboard we both use high spf.

2. Both my husband & I both pack one suitcase each and take a carryon bag. If you're flying into the port the day of the cruise, you probably want to have a change of clothes in your carryon (at least that's what we always do) so that you can change once you have access to your room. Yes, you will have to carry your carryon with you until your room is ready.

1. I'm a ginger and I do go to a tanning salon a few months before our cruise. I start out very slowly and never go more than 3-4 days a week (usually every other day) and never more than 15 minutes in a 20 minute bed. I feel like this is less damaging than turning into a lobster while I'm on the cruise.

2. My husband and I normally take one large suitcase and one garment bag on a cruise. I remember having a smaller carry on bag as well one time when we elected to bring our own canned drinks. You can give the porters as many or as few bags you want but anything you take onto the ship is yours to keep up with until you can make your way to your room. (We've occasionally gone down to our room before it was actually ready to drop off things and it's never been an issue.)

3. I don't remember seeing any kind of storage options at the pier but I've never actually looked either. Hopefully someone else will be more help with that question. It would probably be both easier and cost effective to just bring it aboard with you and store it in your room while you're cruising.