Shorts?

Rallytime1975

Ah Gek. I want you on our cruise. I smile at everyone and our last cruise had the rudest people I have ever seen. We are early seniors, but these folks yelled at the young man at the hostess station, I had electric chairs run over my feet, took me 9 days to grab a chair in the solarium. Lord forbid attempting to get a boiled egg :)

There is no reason to spend $ to go on a trip and be miserable and treat others that way.

Thank you.

Many people aren't happy unless they are being miserable, mean and self-centered.

Agreed Tommy. I think I read your posts on the clothes police page.

We don't live in an area that hosts black tie. Some people do not understand that.

I agree, not everyone has a "black tie," but if you are going on a cruise and you know that the dress code in the MDR is Formal, you should make every accommodation to comply, whether it be a tux, suit, sports coat, or shirt and tie, vis-a-vis the attitude "I'll wear whatever the frick I want to on formal nights."

It really has nothing to do with the "clothes police."

I have raised my brows @ some of the rude comments. Please consider that some folks may live miles from a dining venue that requires a tux or gowns and do not want to go to the expense to purchase for one night.

I am leaving beaded gowns @ home, husband doesn't own a tux and will wear a sport coat on formal night.

I feel confident that we will not be turned away. I plan to concentrate on US and lots of smiles for others.

We would NEVER wear shorts in the MDR on any night, never have and never will. However, I went to the forums to see what recommendations were and what you folks had recently experienced.

My primary interest was if women would be accepted in the theatre with more casual capris.

What I found are a lot of rude comments suggesting that those who paid the same amount of money try another cruise line.

I think we will dress as we normally do on cruises, stop worrying about it and concentrate on our little 7 year old friend who was diagnosed with cancer in January, lost all his hair and wears pj's EVERY day during his months of chemo and surgeries. I would love to see he and his family take a cruise

Thank you for reminding all of us how blessed we are to have our health and are able to cruise, when so many are not able.

Wear what you feel comfortable in, hold your head up and don't worry about what others think.

My prayers go out to your little friend and hope that everything works out well for him.

Agreed Tommy. I think I read your posts on the clothes police page.

We don't live in an area that hosts black tie. Some people do not understand that.

Celebrity's formal nights would fall under Black Tie optional not black tie. But why would we have to understand where you live? It could be thrown back at you that you should understand the Celebrity cruise line experience. It does tend toward good quality apparel. That is the normal on Celebrity.

No need to wear a tux or a gown. Women have it the best they can get away with any nice outfit. Many men will wear a suit but a nice sports jacket and nice slacks will fit right in.

Edited by Charles4515

Thank you for your input. We will fine and you are correct, we could be told to use another cruise line or comments about where we live.

I will see if my luggage constraints will allow my formal gowns, if not, will still dress according to 'code' should have kept my big mouth shut :)

I recall our first cruise 13 yrs ago on RCCL, seems there was a no shorts rule at a certain time in the evening except pool deck. Reminiscing as it was a pre-wedding cruise we planned for us and our daughter.

Thanks to all for your input and clarification.

I agree, not everyone has a "black tie," but if you are going on a cruise and you know that the dress code in the MDR is Formal, you should make every accommodation to comply, whether it be a tux, suit, sports coat, or shirt and tie, vis-a-vis the attitude "I'll wear whatever the frick I want to on formal nights."

It really has nothing to do with the "clothes police."

Right on! It's simple..Formal means just that. You don't need a tux. It is optional, but a decent suit or dress is called for. Jeans & such really don't go with formal. We always used to do Cunard. Formal attire is their "Schtick". Carnival/NCL casual IS their "Schtick". Celebrity is somewhere in between. We chose Celebrity as Cunard does very few trips we can attend. We have a catering bus. & the winter is the slow season for us. That's when we can travel. We did a 14 day trip on the Eclipse this Jan. They were far more formal than probably most Celebrity ships. This is probably due to the longer trips & attendance by more mature pax, who remember how elegant sea travel used to be. It's quite simple..we like to dress up for dinner & I can't understand the "It's my vacation & I'll dress anyway I want" mentality. If a cruiseline has a dresscode out of respect to the other pax, you should follow it. We didn't bring tuxes, but wore nice suits & fedoras(Kind of "Boardwalk Empire" style, if you will) To put it honestly, we always found the staff to really treat you even better, if you were well dressed. This is not to say that the staff weren't excellent, they were! We loved the trip so much we plan on repeating it next Jan.

• 4 weeks later...
I have worn shorts on Celebrity since 1994, just not to dinner in the MDR or speciality. You will be fine.

I've heard that you can go in the mdr even on formal night and wear shorts and they won't say anything. I wish they woukd enforce it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a quick comment, we have no problem dressing for meals as suggested by the cruise line, and have no problem seeing it enforced. Just off Eclipse a week ago,,, while waiting for our table, 4 younger people ( I would guess about 25 - 30 yrs. old) came and requested a table, (they were wearing sandels, cut off jean shorts and tank tops), overheard a comment about being in the "new casual dress" and laughing about it,,,,, they were turned away. :)

RE: post # 18, i know i'm a few months late....however i do have to comment that your "model" isn't obese, so thats a 'plus'. LOL LOL

~~ would love to cruise with you ~~~

Yeah, he'd look great on a catwalk :D

I've heard that you can go in the mdr even on formal night and wear shorts and they won't say anything. I wish they woukd enforce it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Never saw anyone in shorts try to get into the MDR at night, at least on the Eclipse.

Just a quick comment, we have no problem dressing for meals as suggested by the cruise line, and have no problem seeing it enforced. Just off Eclipse a week ago,,, while waiting for our table, 4 younger people ( I would guess about 25 - 30 yrs. old) came and requested a table, (they were wearing sandels, cut off jean shorts and tank tops), overheard a comment about being in the "new casual dress" and laughing about it,,,,, they were turned away. :)

Good! Luckily no one was dressed that shabby on Eclipse(well, at least at night)During the day I'd have no problem, as many are on their way to excursions.