Which village in Cinque Terre should we stay in?

lv9777

We are traveling from Venice to the Cinque Terre and staying two nights before heading to Rome. Which village would be the best to stay in? Is Monterosso the easiest to get to by train from Venice or is Riogomorro? We plan to hike to most villages. Any feedback on where to stay? Reviews are mixed on most hotels. We want great views and clean. Don't expect 5 star. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks. This is a once in a lifetime trip and we really want to do it right.:)

I love your plan (our kind of trip) and will also look forward to reading any posted recommendations. We have met folks who spend a week every year in a small hotel ( I do not remember the name) located in Riomaggiore and they tell us they prefer that town for its charm, restaurants, and easy access to the larger city of La Spezia. I suspect you will find proponents of each of the villages.

Hank

Riomaggiore will be the first village you encounter via train, Monterosso al Mare will be the last one.

I stayed in Vernazza. Loved it. After the day tourists leave, it is nice and quiet. A small produce store, salumeria, and bakery provided one of our meals each day (loved shopping and pick out of different things to munch on). Dinners at Il Pirata, Vulnetia (our apartment owner is also a member of the family that owns Vulnetia), another place I can't remember the name, but on the left side of the harbor. We (I was there with 2 friends) spent the days hiking, relaxing at the beach in Monterosso, just having a good time.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the villages - each has it's own unique personality.

Caveat Emptor. Whilst staying in the villages sounds great you have to lug your bags from the station up steep streets, underground tunnels and stairs.

We prefer to stay in La Spezia at Hotel Firenze & Continental right opposite the train station . Great breakfast on the roof . Restaurant Roma across the street a traditional Italian Mama & Papa Trattoria with hand made pasta to die for .

Take the train each day from La Spezia to explore the CT villages. You really need 3 - 4 days to do the CT justice .

If you have your heart set on a village then go for Riomaggiore or Vernazza.

We are traveling from Venice to the Cinque Terre and staying two nights before heading to Rome. Which village would be the best to stay in? Is Monterosso the easiest to get to by train from Venice or is Riogomorro? We plan to hike to most villages. Any feedback on where to stay? Reviews are mixed on most hotels. We want great views and clean. Don't expect 5 star. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks. This is a once in a lifetime trip and we really want to do it right.:)

I can't help with any suggestions, but in case it gives some idea of the geography I made this from my day in the area.

The idea of staying at La Spezia and going to the villages by ferry or train sounds good. All the best, Tony

Thanks so much for the info. Very helpful to know that Riomaggiore is the first village by train. Vernazza looks wonderful. Worried about traveling village to village after the train ride from Venice. This is an extra trip after an 11 day cruise. We have 2 days in Venice, then planning 2 days in Cinque Terre and then another 2 days in Rome. For those that have been here. Does this sound workable?

Corniglia is up on a high hill and the hardest village to get to with luggage.

Relax get your train tt fromthe CT Tourist Office in any station on the CT or La Spezia station . Trains are frequent . Buy 1 or 2 day CT Pass at tourist office and it gives you admission to walking paths of the CT plus unlimited train travel between La Spezia and the 5 villages of the CT . Easy peasy !

From La Spezia it is by train 5 minutes to the first village Riomaggiore and 20 to the furthest Monterosso .

Also daily ferry from Portovenere at 10am, 11am and Noon to the CT . Take bus P from Bus Stop P in Via Garabaldi near Corso Cavour in La Spezia to Portovenere . (Travel time 30 minutes departing from La Spezia stop P at 25 and 55 minutes past the hour for Portovenere. ) The ferry calls at Riomaggiore, Manarola, Vernazza and finally at Monterosso . Total cruise time 60 minutes . In Monterosso ferry arrives in old Monterosso. Train station is in new Monterosso. The two halves are joined by a shared use road/pedestrian tunnel .

Edited by kuldalai

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming you are going in summer, my preference would be Monterosso, because it has a super beach. Be warned that the glorious coastal path between the villages is mostly closed at the moment - when we visited last year only the Monterosso - Vernazza section was open (it was a wonderful hike). And looking at http://www.parco****onale5terre.it/sentieri/sentieri5terre.pdf it seems that even that's closed at moment (as it's shown as a red line on the map).

The current situation with the Coastal paths on the CT is :

OPEN: Portovenere - Riomaggiore, Corniglia - Vernazza & Vernazza - Monterosso.

CLOSED : Riomaggiore - Manarola, Manarola - Corniglia.

(The inland trail Manarola - Corniglia is however open .)