Middle East Excursions with Celebrity

heathluvsing

DH and I are researching one of the cruises that has stops in Haifa and Ashdod. When we have done a land vacation to Israel, when we have made purchases in Israel and paid tax on the purchase, upon arrival at the airport for our return to the US we went to a VAT booth to be refunded the taxes.

How is that handled when cruising?

Hello everyone, we are going on the Holylands cruise. Just checking to see if anyone did excursions for this cruise. Can you recommend any? We are Christians so the tours are really important to us. Thanks!

We are going to the Holy land on a land based cruise through a company called EO. I noticed on their website that they do cruise tours through Celebrity. DH and I really wanted to go the cruise route, but the group from our church wanted to do a land based trip. You may want to check this company and see if your cruise is on their schedule and maybe switch over to them. I think a first time trip to the Holy land should be done with experienced guides.

If you stick with your plans and wish to tour on-your-own, try the Ports of Call board for answers about excursions. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=47774152

Also join your Roll Call for tips and sharing tours with others on your cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206

Have a great time!

Edited by Iamthesea

we did not do the land based option, we stuck with a day trip into Jerusalem to the western wall and to walk the route of the crucifixion - we did it with the ship and was well worth the trip. It is a lot of walking through narrow streets and many steps. Just make sure if you do it that all females cover the shoulders, knees and do not have open necklines. If you do the locals will come and cover you up.

There was not time to stop at any of the shops and stalls enroute either

Another place to look is on the port boards

Hello everyone, we are going on the Holylands cruise. Just checking to see if anyone did excursions for this cruise. Can you recommend any? We are Christians so the tours are really important to us. Thanks!

Jerusalem

Mosque of Omar (also known as the Dome of the Rock, the third holiest site in Islam, after Mecca and Medina); the Church of the Holy Sepulchre (marking the site of the crucifixion, burial and resurrection of Christ); and the Western ("Wailing") Wall, once part of Solomon's Temple. Outside the walls of the old city is the beautiful Franciscan church, the Church of All Nations, on the slope of the Mount of Olives; the church is built around the rock in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Ephesus

House of Virgin Mary is located on the top of the "Bulbul" mountain 9 km ahead of Ephesus, the shrine of Virgin Mary enjoys a marvelous atmosphere hidden in the green. It is the place where Mary may have spent her last days. Indeed, she may have come in the area together with Saint John, who spent several years in the area to spread Christianity. Mary preferred this remote place rather than living in crowded place.

DH and I are researching one of the cruises that has stops in Haifa and Ashdod. When we have done a land vacation to Israel, when we have made purchases in Israel and paid tax on the purchase, upon arrival at the airport for our return to the US we went to a VAT booth to be refunded the taxes.

As to VAT tax. I have never seen it at a cruise terminal. I have only seen it at LHR airport. Most stores wont deal with it. You have to spend about 100 Pounds or Euros. Richard

This is not an itinerary to book excursions through the cruise line; for sightseeing the cruise line tends to use coach buses and because you have such a large group you move a snail's pace, are over priced, have minimal personal attention from the guide, no opportunity to customize, have forced stops at tourist trap stores that give a kickback to the cruise line to stop there and miss out on a lot. For Israel I strongly recommend Guided Tours Israel. I had three days of tours with them and was highly impressed. Amazing guide, well organized, learned and saw so much, great value - just a wonderful experience. In Ephesus I had a good experience with Ephesus Shuttle. Our Egypt stop was canceled because of safety concerns.

The word "Christian" takes many forms. If you're not Catholic and more evangelical don't miss "Gordons Calvery" After the gold and silver in the church of the ascension at the end of the via delorosa we found this gr=arden to be very peaceful and more in line with our idea of the garden tomb.

When we have done a land vacation to Israel, when we have made purchases in Israel and paid tax on the purchase, upon arrival at the airport for our return to the US we went to a VAT booth to be refunded the taxes.

How is that handled when cruising?

In 2011 we obtained a refund of VAT at the port of Haifa, at the arrivals hall. Our ship did not stop at the Ashdod port, so I do not know whether that port has a booth for VAT return.

Just make sure if you do it that all females cover the shoulders, knees and do not have open necklines. If you do the locals will come and cover you up.

When you say "open necklines" do you mean not having the neck showing at all or are you speaking of below the neck, like in below the collar bone (chest and cleavage)?

As anyone been on the Israel tours with Celebrity and felt they moved too slow? We are young so that would drive me nuts. Plus, we want to see so much.

Can anyone give feedback on the median age on these tours? From the looks of it, you need to be really fit in order to go on them.

We have a saying..."Ship tours move at the speed of the SLOWEST participant" If you take a large Celebrity tour, you will very likely move slowly.

We are also Christian, and were in Israel in 2012. I found Israel to be one of the most moving trips we have experienced. I strongly recommend that you do NOT take a large ship tour in Israel.

We privately toured with Guided Tours Israel (GTI) which was recommended above by Gonzo70. I cannot say enough good things about them. What a great experience!

If your budget allows, do private tours with GTI or get in with a small group on the CC roll call using them or a similar quality company. Israel is the place to splurge and spend for private or small group tour. The history is truly amazing. You will see SO much more and it can be tailored to your group.

Enjoy Israel, it stays with you forever!

To the OP (Original Poster): WELCOME to Cruise Critic! I see you just joined this month.

Sorry I didn't realize you were brand new here when I posted. In my post above I mentioned roll calls. Your sailing will have a separate thread in the roll call section where people on your sailing organize tours and other fun stuff.

You've come to the right place here for some really useful ideas and info. Enjoy planning your Holyland trip!

Hi, we did the Holy Land cruise in August 2011 on the Silhouette and it was amazing. We did the full day to Jerusalem on day one, but to be honest, we came away a little disappointed. The Wailing Wall was amazing, but we felt that the many churches that had been built up on top of sites spoiled it for us in some ways. We came away 'all candled out' as we called it - too much religion (but that is our opinion). Visiting Gethsemane was nice, but, it was another pretty church on the site. I would have liked to visit the excavations of David's City but that was not open. We wanted something 'real' / close to the time - not lots of churches built on where things 'could' have happened -- if that makes sense.

We were lucky and witnessed lots of bar mitzvahs that day, so there were lots of celebrations and shofar sounding and singing. Made me cry ------

The best tour was on day 2 when we did Massada and the Dead Sea. This stopped overlooking the Mt of Olives and our guide was amazing. I just cried - soppy me - as he read from the OT and NT and then sang a psalm in Hebrew as we left. We then travelled to Massada --------- absolutely amazing --- and then spent some time chilling out floating in the Dead Sea. An incredible day which will live in my memory forever.

The 3rd excursion we did was from Ashdod and was Galilee which touched on Capernaum - really interesting - and the sites around Galilee were beautiful. We then travelled to the River Jordan and had a paddle! Hated Nazareth and would never want to return - horrible place.

Any questions, please ask - as Christians we found the whole thing amazing - but ironically we found the whole Massada experience amazing.

Would love to go back, but they don't do this cruise again in August.

As anyone been on the Israel tours with Celebrity and felt they moved too slow? We are young so that would drive me nuts. Plus, we want to see so much.

Can anyone give feedback on the median age on these tours? From the looks of it, you need to be really fit in order to go on them.

Hi, we are not mega young and now in our early 50s --- BUT I would like to think still young and very active. I am an impatient, busy person so do NOT like to potter and not stand too long as I want to be 'up and off'! On our excursions it is very much down to the guide. On day one the pace was medium, day 2 quite slow (with the youngest guide) but full of information and the best day by far, and day 3 quick but with less passion from the guide.

Basically, it all depends on the guide ! If they are as magical as our guide on day 2 you wouldn't notice the standing around pace much.

:)

When you say "open necklines" do you mean not having the neck showing at all or are you speaking of below the neck, like in below the collar bone (chest and cleavage)?

Hi, when walking around I had a sun dress on that covered my knees but just had what I would call a strappy top part. I wore that outside, but as soon as I went into a Holy site or church I just covered myself up with a shawl (my sarong!) -- which I tied around my waist at all other times.

I would say covering up your shoulders and chest out of respect in these places - no cleavage of any type - think of how ladies in the C19th wore a shawl around their shoulders and that will give you a clue.

Hope this makes sense

PS Make sure that your knees are covered - in Nazareth we saw men turned away from churches as their longer shorts did not cover their knees.

The word "Christian" takes many forms. If you're not Catholic and more evangelical don't miss "Gordons Calvery" After the gold and silver in the church of the ascension at the end of the via delorosa we found this gr=arden to be very peaceful and more in line with our idea of the garden tomb.

Wish we'd found that one ------- will have to return ;)

I got to live in the Sinai for a year and got to go to Israel a lot.:) We were told to cover our legs and arms mainly for Muslim culture. If you are even a little mobile go with a smaller private tour group. King David's excavations was so cool and that was 18yrs ago. The streets in the old city are very narrow and there are many thieves. Keep your valuables close and don't use a backpack as they are easy to open when the crowds get real close. It always cracked me up that almost every "Christian" gift shop was run by "Mohammed".;) I totally agree with the poster about Massada, I only got to go once, but what an experience. I know nothing about Celebrity's tours but if you have a chance Mr.Sinai is a neat day trip from Southern Israel or Egypt. Have fun.:)

I wanted to clarify what I said in my first post about taking a Celebrity ship to the ME with a tour group. I did not mean taking a tour (excursion) with Celebrity. The tour company that I mentioned is like having a private tour guide on ship with you and they take you off in port with their own guides. Typically, the group is around 30-40 persons. This all depends on how many book their cruise with this company, but they do have a cap to keep the groups small. Yes, it is a bus full, but you are with the same tour guide and group for the entire cruise. You also have the advantage of having seminars, meetings and prayer groups onboard.

PS - I am NOT affiliated with said tour company. :)

We are 56 and 61, but in my experience, we are typically some of the youngest on these tours. And many are not very fit. :rolleyes:

Tours of any size can be, and tend to be slow because so much information is given in each site. Sometimes it's over kill! I can easily become bored. That's why we prefer private tours. If we do not wish to see something, or we feel we are staying in one place too long, we can ask our guide to move along. :)

Hi, when walking around I had a sun dress on that covered my knees but just had what I would call a strappy top part. I wore that outside, but as soon as I went into a Holy site or church I just covered myself up with a shawl (my sarong!) -- which I tied around my waist at all other times.

I would say covering up your shoulders and chest out of respect in these places - no cleavage of any type - think of how ladies in the C19th wore a shawl around their shoulders and that will give you a clue.

Hope this makes sense

PS Make sure that your knees are covered - in Nazareth we saw men turned away from churches as their longer shorts did not cover their knees.

Yes, makes sense. I have been to many religious sites in Europe and around and am familiar with what not to wear. :rolleyes: I was just curious about what Tiggertastic said about Jerusalem (which I have yet to visit) and covering the neck. I wanted to confirm that a neck has to be covered (which I was not aware of) as well as the chest or cleavage (which I am aware of.) I have been astonished at what some women wear on excursions. :eek:

Edited by Iamthesea

In 2011 we obtained a refund of VAT at the port of Haifa, at the arrivals hall. Our ship did not stop at the Ashdod port, so I do not know whether that port has a booth for VAT return.

Thank you for your reply. If they had a way to get a refund of the VAT at the Port of Haifa, I am sure they have a way to do it at the Port of Ashdod.

Much appreciate your reply.

We can't recommend GuidedToursIsrael highly enough. We joined others on our roll call, and the numbers were made up by others on the ship who contacted GTI independently. Our minibus could drop us off closer to the sites and the driver was able to cut down narrow roads to avoid the traffic queueing to get to Jerusalem. We did the Christian tour of Northern Israel from Haifa, and Jerusalem and Bethlehem from Ashdod. The Holylands cruise was meant to be a once in a lifetime cruise....but we enjoyed it so much that we went again the following year. Then we did Massada and the Dead Sea with GTI - highly recommended, and Jerusalem on your own ship tour so we could enjoy just wandering round the old city

When we took this cruise on the Celebrity Equinox, we likewise did the all day tours that included trips to Nazareth, Galilee and the Jordon River. We took the tour that took us to Jerusalem and Bethlehem. The tours are quick and a lot of the narrated history depends on your tour guides but we did visit the key biblical sites. We were excited we planned to visit all the sites that we've read or studied from the Bible, but seeing it in person was unforgettable.

Bethlehem is in one of the Palestinian territories so we actually had our Israeli guide get off the bus before we passed through the gates into Bethlehem where we were belated met by our Palestinian guide...who was actually from New York City who returned to help his family.

Edited by Duane T

Suekay, do you remember how much guided tours Israel was? I am looking on the website but u need to write them to request pricing,

I just checked my old emails -I'm never organised enough to delete old ones, but sometimes it comes in useful:)

Christian tour of Northern Israel was $99pp, Jerusalem and Bethlehem tour was $115pp as was the Dead Sea and Masada

In 2012 for 2 people in a regular car with a driver/guide (same person) we paid just under $700 per day. It will be more for a larger group/vehicle, but then it's split more ways and you may need both a driver and a guide.

Don't worry about contacting GTI. You will probably hear from Leo. Mention Cruise Critic in your initial email as they know they get lots of business from this board. Leo is very responsive (usually hear from him overnight due to time difference). He will send you a proposed itinerary with prices.

We had the same guide each day (Mickey) and she was great. Because we moved fast we even saw so much more than was in the itinerary. Mickey was very proud of her country and wanted us to have a great experience.

We did a ship tour to Jerusalem in 2011 and it was amazing. Yes it was a big bus but the guide we had was great and walked us through a couple of back streets rather than getting back on the bus every time. He also took time to speak to everyone individually and answer questions. We saw the garden of gethsemane, jewish graveyards, the old city, western wall, dome of the rock, church of the sepulcre and then on to Bethlehem. Our guide was allowed with us but we also had a Palestinian Christian guide to join us for that.

It's busy pretty much everywhere so if you don't like crowds I'd opt for Galilee or somewhere like that. You might not set off on a big tour but you'll find them all somewhere! The church of the holy sepulcre is really busy but try and walk through to the less famous areas and it can be quiet and far more meaningful. Despite the noise and bustle I loved it from start to finish. An amazing place.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk