Question on the hydrotherapy pass

tooalto

We are taking our second TA next October and I would love to have the pass for all those sea days. I went to our itinerary to look for the pas and am not sure how to find it and the cost. I looked under "indulgences" and also all through the spa section. Can anyone please help?

Thanks

On the non-TAs I've been on they won't sell day passes until they've sold as many full trip passes as they can. Check the price though as day passes usually are more expensive per day than the whole cruise pass. It's also nice to come back from a shorex and fall into the pool.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about that. I am interested in the full voyage pass.

You can call ship services and they will book it for you. Just check the price when you get on board as they quite often have 'specials' and it may be cheaper on embarkation day (people have reported that the reduced price was honoured).

I've never bothered booking it ahead.

The spa is my first stop after lunch in the dining room on embarkation day, and I have never had a problem getting a pass for the full voyage.

After reserving once before embarking and dealing with the refund situation (which was no trouble), we now prefer to book onboard and also do so after lunch in the MDR. We can usually start using the thermal suite after muster drill on the first day.

On my recent cruises a few weeks ago prices were as follows:

$149 for 1 person or $249 for 2 people - for 7 days

$249 for 1 person for 14 (I was on a back to back)

I believe it was $348 for 2 people for the 14 days. Hope that helps! I did the one person 14 day package. It was $20 a day for a day pass which technically is cheaper for the 7 days, but I believe that price was only as an add on to a service.

The prices are all over the board. It was $199 for a couple for our 14 day Ryndam cruise last winter. I checked again on our 14 day TA cruise this fall and it was way higher than that.

Don't know what the 21 day was...we did 21 both time and I know the 7 days on our Ryndam was same price as the 14 days. On our Med cruise preceding the TA, we were too busy to bother.

The prices are all over the board. It was $199 for a couple for our 14 day Ryndam cruise last winter. I checked again on our 14 day TA cruise this fall and it was way higher than that.

Don't know what the 21 day was...we did 21 both time and I know the 7 days on our Ryndam was same price as the 14 days. On our Med cruise preceding the TA, we were too busy to bother.

It was $499/couple and $299 for a single for our recent 21 day cruise.

It was $499/couple and $299 for a single for our recent 21 day cruise.

I think it was so inexpensive on the first 14 of our Ryndam last winter because the average age on that cruise had to be 88. Not many younger folks who would enjoy the thermal suite. The 7 day add-on cruise was the same price...and the demographics on that 7 was way younger. So I think that's how they gauge the prices.

Edited by innlady1

I recently paid $199 for a 14-day cruise pass on the Oosterdam which has the large thermal pool, 3 steam rooms of different temperatures plus several heated loungers. The facilities there were worth that cost.

However, other ships do not have as nice a spa facility. I'm about to sail on the Zaandam and have looked at their spa facility online. It seems to consist of a thermal pool the size of a hot tub and have only one steam room. I would not pay the same fee for these facilities at all.

Hence I would agree wait until embarkation day and tour the facilities first; then decide if the price they are offering is worth it to you.

RE: difference in pricing.

The smaller HAL ships (such as the Ryndam) have a much small Hydro pool (about the size of the ship's hot tubs). Thus they usually price these passes lower than the larger ships with the fantastic pools.

Also, it does seem to vary a bit, depending on how well they expect to sell the passes (based on past experience).

DaveOKC

Thanks for all the inputs. I am boarding Nieuw Amsterdam on Sunday for a charter cruise, so I am hoping that the price for the week will be reasonable. My reasoning is that everyone will be so busy with the charter activities that no one will want to do the hydro therapy pass! I can hope...

We will tour the facilities on embarkation day and decide.

From past experience there have been "Let's Make a Deal" discussions with the spa manager once on board. If the package bookings are below expectations you might be able to meet with the manager privately to work something out. Not the first day, the "asking price" is set and that is what they quote you. By day 2 or 3 they know where they stand and this is the time to inquire. You risk being shut out if the package is popular on your cruise of course. They want the revenue to meet their goals and will be flexible to achieve this. The spa is a concessionaire and independent of the HAL revenue stream, although overseen by HAL and they pay a fee to HAL.

Request a private meeting behind closed doors with the manager. Assure the rep it is a positive agenda and they won't stonewall your access to the manager. Be reasonable in your offer and negotiate in good faith. Don't have the conversation in the spa lobby being overheard by others, this will be a non-starter.

If your heart is set on being guaranteed a slot, pay the asking price. Transocean cruises with so many sea days will likely have a number of takers at full retail, but the spa wants every dollar it can get, so no harm in trying.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

We are doing a 14 day in Feb. I called several days ago to ask the price.

For the Nieuw it was $499 for 2 people for 2 weeks.

Was a little higher then I had hoped but I know I wanted it.

Though fellow cruisers have said that it doesnt book up, I did not want to worry about it.

From everything I read, if the price is lower once on board it will be reimbursed.

Let us know what happens