New Underground Tour Available in Rome

cruisemom42

I've just discovered something new in Rome! :)

The Vatican has announced it will reopen the necropolis of the Via Triumphalis (an area extending down the entire Vatican hill), after it has been closed for several years for additional excavations and improvements to make the experience more educational:

http://www.museivaticani.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/Eventi/2013/MV_Info_Evento16.html

Note: This is NOT the same as the so-called Scavi Tour that takes visitors under St. Peter's but an area of tombs that was discovered under a parking garage.

As of now, limited tours are available in several languages. If you want to book as an individual (e.g., not as a group of 15 or more), you have to purchase the joint ticket for 26 euros, which includes a guided tour of the Via Triumphalis area + an admission ticket to the Vatican museum (unguided). Apparently groups of 15+ can book a tour of just the necropolis.

I'm going to be in Rome at the end of February/early March and was able to book a tour -- but in Italian, as the English times didn't work for me. I will post a review when I return.

Here is the booking page: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

The system is new and seems a bit glitchy, but I was able to book on the second try and another person at Tripadvisor was also able to book an English tour. Visa and MC are accepted.

Here's some great additional information from when the necropolis was originally opened in 2006 (I think it was closed again shortly thereafter):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6067020.stm

Sounds fascinating; apparently the burials represent Romans from all walks of life from slaves to knights.

Edited by cruisemom42

Very exciting! I think I liked the Scavi better than you did, so I am sure I will love this. We are just waiting for the prices on the Spring TA to come down somewhere close to where they were last year. . .right now they're more than double!:eek:

Speaking of, how did you like Silhouette?

I remember our guide during the Scavi tour telling us about this other area. He indicated it would open again sometime in the future - he just didnt have any idea of when....... going on the "to do" list for next time we are in Rome. Unfortunately no plans at this time for visit #5 :(

Very exciting! I think I liked the Scavi better than you did, so I am sure I will love this. We are just waiting for the prices on the Spring TA to come down somewhere close to where they were last year. . .right now they're more than double!:eek:

Speaking of, how did you like Silhouette?

It wasn't that I didn't like the tour, I just happened to get a guide who focused on St. Peter's tomb to the exclusion of the rest of the scavi, unfortunately. Someday I'd like a do-over.

I liked Silhouette very much. Beautiful ship, good food!

When you post your review, please comment on whether this is appropriate for someone with mild claustrophobia, especially in comparison with the Scavi tour.

Sure, will do. I am not overly fond of very tight enclosed spaces myself, although I'm not sure it would rise to the level of claustrophobia.

I am so excited that I saw this post today! My dh and I will be in Rome late February and I was searching for things to do in Rome beyond the basics, since this will be our third visit to Rome. We were able to secure tickets and will add our comments as well.

Many places in Europe (Italy in particular) seem unused to our habit of trying to book things waaaay in advance (e.g., hotels, train tickets, museum passes)!

Good luck and keep checking. I have a feeling this is going to prove to be a very popular tour -- at least for the first couple of years -- and tickets may be hard to get.

Does anyone know how long this tour is? The museums and Chapel close at 4 I think so what time would I need to book to see the underground, museums and chapel? (Assuming tix are available). My plane gets in at 7 am so I would need later in the afternoon I guess. Thx!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I am so excited that I saw this post today! My dh and I will be in Rome late February and I was searching for things to do in Rome beyond the basics, since this will be our third visit to Rome. We were able to secure tickets and will add our comments as well.

If you haven't been to the Capitoline Museum, recommended to me also by Cruisemom, I can also highly recommend it. We went for our second visit in April. Really wonderful, located at the Campidoglio designed by Michelangelo and overlooking the Forum. The major treasure is a 2000 year old 'monument' (can't call it a 'statue') of Marcus Aurelius on horseback that is captivating. They actually built a separate chamber onto to museum to house it.

If you look at Rick Steve's guide, there are directions for a 'secret' stairway that leads onto a terrace cafe at the back of the Vittorio Emanuele ("Wedding Cake") monument with a fantastic view out over the entire Forum, a great spot for a break and an espresso.

Does anyone know how long this tour is? The museums and Chapel close at 4 I think so what time would I need to book to see the underground, museums and chapel? (Assuming tix are available). My plane gets in at 7 am so I would need later in the afternoon I guess. Thx!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I haven't yet seen any actual reports from people who've taken the tour....I think they just started offering it this month.

Timing for English tours as of right now seems to be very limited (e.g., only one time per day). I don't know whether they plan to ramp it up as the tourist season gets in gear or not. But as of now, you may not have any choice re: which time to choose.

• 1 month later...

As promised (and at the prompting of a CC member -- you know who you are!) my review of the new Vatican tour of the Via Triumphalis necropolis:

I just returned from a visit to Rome, and I was very excited to be able to take one of the new guided tours of the Via Triumphalis necropolis. As of now, the tour is offered on a very limited basis, and as described above, unless you are with a large group you will have to purchase the tour in conjunction with a museum ticket.

The tour was quite well done. It lasted about 2 hours, including an approximately 20-minute walk from the meeting point (the Guided Tours desk at the museum) to the site, which is under a car park. Also you need to allow time to be at the meeting point about 20 minutes before the scheduled start time. I arrived at the Vatican shortly before 8:00 am for my scheduled 8:30 am tour. The museum was not open yet but there were several staff outside the door checking vouchers and telling folks what line to get into.

After they opened the doors at 8:00, I went straight into the security line, then walked up a FEW steps (as noted on the voucher) -- a bit confusing because they are not referring to the full flight of stairs. At any rate, I ended up in the right spot easily and waited another 10 minutes or so for someone to exchange my voucher for a ticket and advise me where to stand. (Note: my tour was in Italian, as there was no English tour available on any of the days I could take it.)

The tour makes use of the standard microphone/earphone listening devices so everyone can hear. I think there were about 16 people on our tour.

After the walk over, with the guide pointing out various things as we went, we entered the site, accompanied by a guard with keys, and walked down a good long flight of stairs. The site is well lit and arranged with walkways of metal and plexiglass over a fairly large necropolis area.

There is some pretty good signage, and a short video introduction upon first entering. The guide did an excellent job of pointing out the various types of tombs and their features. Some of the key finds are also showcased in cabinets and cases along the walking path, which is nice. There are even a few skeletons in situ, as well as a lot of intact cinerary urns, funeral stelae, and the like.

The thing to keep in mind is that this area is more of a "standard" Roman necropolis, so tombs represent several different eras, styles, sizes, and represent burials of people from all walks of life. A few are relatively grand, but not perhaps as rich as those you can see on the Scavi tour of the area under St. Peter's.

Again, the guide was good about pointing out details -- e.g., reading the epitaph from the tomb of a child, showing us common images and symbols, some Christian and some pagan.

I really enjoyed it. It is quite different to the St. Peters scavi. If you like your ruins more "reconstructed", then it might not be the tour for you -- although a few tombs were in really good shape.

If you have any other questions, I will try to answer them.

Thanks so much, cruisemom, for the review and the photos!

I realize this will be very subjective, but for a first timer to Scavi or Via Triumphalis --- any thoughts on which one to pick (assuming time for only one on the trip)? Or at least pros and cons? (I see that you can use a camera at Via Triumphalis, which is one plus for me.)

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by Turtles06

Thanks so much, cruisemom, for the review and the photos!

I realize this will be very subjective, but for a first timer to Scavi or Via Triumphalis --- any thoughts on which one to pick (assuming time for only one on the trip)? Or at least pros and cons? (I see that you can use a camera at Via Triumphalis, which is one plus for me.)

Thanks for any advice!

If you're more into straight-up Roman history then I'd recommend Via Triumphalis.

If you're more into early Christian-Roman history (and a bit more "story"), then St. Peter's.

Being able to use a camera at Via Triumphalis was nice, and it was a more open space (I know for some the St. Peter's Scavi can be a little claustrophobic.)

Also, I think the Via Triumphalis tour is slightly longer overall.

How did your Italian lessons serve you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Molto bene.

Between the Italian lessons (a wonderful experience) and my knowledge of archaeological terms -- which don't change much from language to language -- I was able to understand about 90% of what the guide said. It also helped that I'd read about the site in advance and had a good idea what to expect. :D

Molto bene.

Between the Italian lessons (a wonderful experience) and my knowledge of archaeological terms -- which don't change much from language to language -- I was able to understand about 90% of what the guide said. It also helped that I'd read about the site in advance and had a good idea what to expect. :D

that had to be part of the "fun" of doing the tour in Italian. Good to know that your lessons served you "very well." I'm going to dive into my Italian lessons (via Rosetta Stone) in my off season…

Great review and pics. I was so envious when I saw your original thread about the new tour as I had only one pre cruise day in Rome. But I've changed my flights and am now looking forward to my tour in just over two weeks-so excited.

I visited the website when booking the tour and they had a great video there about the origins of the three periods of burial and lovely reconstruction of the area.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

Edited by dritan