Define "jeans"

Hockeylovinmom

I have some trouser cut jeans which are not obviously denim. One pair is brown and the other is navy blue but not a denim blue which has white threads going one direction and blue the other. Both pair are have creases . If one is wearing an untucked top or tunic which covers the rivets, I would defy anyone to tell that they were jeans.

I know, I have some sharp looking red "jeans". Is it the fabric that makes them jeans, or the styling? ( just thinking)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nearly every internet source defines the same as what you did ..

"Jeans are pants made from denim or dungaree cloth. Often the term "jeans" refers to a particular style of pants, called "blue jeans" and invented by Jacob Davis and Levi Strauss in 1873. Starting in the 1950s, jeans, originally designed for cowboys and miners, became popular among teenagers, especially members of the greaser subculture. Historic brands include Levi's, Lee, and Wrangler. Jeans come in various fits, including skinny, tapered, slim, straight, boot cut, Narrow bottom, Low waist, anti-fit, and flare."

The problem is everyone disagrees with what appears to be a fairly standard definition. And if someone is bound and determine to wear jeans (not saying the OP here..) they will find a way to wear their jeans whether forbidden or not.

Jeans are denim....doesn't really matter about the color. Blue jeans are blue! Jeans are simply pants....they may be worn on all but formal nights....in NO WAY is denim of any color a formal material.

Nearly every internet source defines the same as what you did ..

"Jeans are pants made from denim or dungaree cloth. Often the term "jeans" refers to a particular style of pants, called "blue jeans" and invented by Jacob Davis and Levi Strauss in 1873. Starting in the 1950s, jeans, originally designed for cowboys and miners, became popular among teenagers, especially members of the greaser subculture. Historic brands include Levi's, Lee, and Wrangler. Jeans come in various fits, including skinny, tapered, slim, straight, boot cut, Narrow bottom, Low waist, anti-fit, and flare."

The problem is everyone disagrees with what appears to be a fairly standard definition. And if someone is bound and determine to wear jeans (not saying the OP here..) they will find a way to wear their jeans whether forbidden or not.

How about we say pants made from BLUE denim or dungaree are "jeans" and pants made from denim of any other color than BLUE may be called "jean-style pants."???? So, if a cruise line says "no jeans", they are only talking about BLUE denim/dungaree jeans??? Kind of like the khaki vs chino vs Dockers conversations...

How about we say pants made from BLUE denim or dungaree are "jeans" and pants made from denim of any other color than BLUE may be called "jean-style pants."???? So, if a cruise line says "no jeans", they are only talking about BLUE denim/dungaree jeans??? Kind of like the khaki vs chino vs Dockers conversations...

And don't forget the new knit jeans that are not made out of denim and may be blue and are styled like jeans. LOL

Our club has a sign posted at the doorways "No Denim". This goes beyond jeans and means no denim skirt or jacket. The definition of denim is "a washable strong-twilled cotton in various weights and colors, is dyed in one piece or woven with colored warp and white filler."

The important word is "twilled". If it isn't twilled, it technically isn't denim, but you can have jeans styling not made of denim.

To wear non denim jeans, the secret is to wear a top which covers the rivets.

I had to go back and re-read the original post again. .."they were sold as jeans"...therein lies your answer. "But I think they look like nice fitting pants".

Why not just go with the definition of the person that decided to market them as jeans....not the definition you think it is? As the other poster said, it's splitting hairs.

I am wondering about the definition of "jeans" ( as in 'no jeans on the main dining room'. ) Does this mean only BLUE denim jeans? I have several pairs of skinny jeans in some nice bright colors - they are not heavy, but are cottony with a touch of spandex. They were sold as jeans, but (I think) look like nice fitting pants. What do you think?

Maybe these might be "smart casual" or "resort casual"

I like the idea of "jean style" pants. All in all, this has been an interesting discussion!