Nervous about Camp Carnival self check-in/check-out

jamieann77

Taking 9 y/o DD on Triumph in a few weeks. I'd kind of like to give her the option to check in and out of Camp Carnival by herself, mostly because I know she may get bored sometimes. But I am a very paranoid person and can't help but worry. I know she is paranoid as well, and wouldn't go anywhere where there aren't many people around. And fortunately our cabin is on the lido deck, so at least she wouldn't have to go down a lot of stairs/elevators and down long hallways alone. And actually, I'm not sure that I'd really want her going to the cabin alone at all.

Perhaps I'll give her the option, but discourage against it, which she'd probably be fine with. And also my parents will be with us, so I suppose that between the 4 of us adults, we could check in on her often and make sure she isn't bored.

Thoughts??

Well lucky for me I have a 5 year old so I get a phone and I have my oldest who is now 12 call me whenever she is leaving camp carnival since the phone is always on me. I give her very clear directions of where to go when she leaves such as the room or wherever I think I may be. If you are in your cabin she can also call there is a phone is camp carnival. My rules still apply when we are on the ship so although she has the ability to sign herself in and out she knows not too unless notifying me first.

We just returned from our 8 day Breeze cruise yesterday. Our daughter is 10, and this is the first year we've given her more freedom with signing herself in and out.

We did the same as others. She had to call us as soon as she got to Camp Carnival so we knew she made it safe and sound. Upon leaving/signing out, she had to call to make sure we were in the cabin before signing out. Or, we have a designated time and place to meet.

After a few days, we allowed her to sign out with a friend or two and allow them to walk around for a few minutes on their own. They normally got ice cream and walked each other to their floors. If it was after 10:00, I would not allow her to walk to the room by herself. I would have a friend walk with her, and then we would walk her friend to her room together.

My in-laws traveled with us, and she called them several times when she couldn't get us. Having them as a backup was nice!

When my daughter turned 9 and could have the option, we discussed it. I asked her what she'd do if she checked herself out and couldn't find us? I told her the only option would be to go back to the room alone and wait until we made it back. The idea of looking around the ship for us worried her (as us!), and sitting in the room alone was no excitement.

So, we decided not to let her check herself out, but that when dropped off, we would agree on time intervals to check on her and see if she wanted out. Typically at night, we'd go back in the alotted time, and she'd beg to stay longer. If they have the option of signing out, they HAVE to leave at 10:00 (or whatever time the "paid" time starts). She said there were a couple of girls who didn't know where they were supposed to go, becuase their parents said they'd come get them. But since they had the "sign yourself out" option, they weren't allowed to stay. So they left but then sat in the hallway until their parents came.

You can play it day by day, too. On the registration paperwork, make is so she can't sign out. If she goes one time when you want her to be able to (also if she wants to do the scavenger hunt, you have to give her the right), then you sign that she can let herself out. then next time it's back to default of not allowed to.

Good luck!

Taking 9 y/o DD on Triumph in a few weeks. I'd kind of like to give her the option to check in and out of Camp Carnival by herself, mostly because I know she may get bored sometimes. But I am a very paranoid person and can't help but worry. I know she is paranoid as well, and wouldn't go anywhere where there aren't many people around. And fortunately our cabin is on the lido deck, so at least she wouldn't have to go down a lot of stairs/elevators and down long hallways alone. And actually, I'm not sure that I'd really want her going to the cabin alone at all.

Perhaps I'll give her the option, but discourage against it, which she'd probably be fine with. And also my parents will be with us, so I suppose that between the 4 of us adults, we could check in on her often and make sure she isn't bored.

Thoughts??

I would let her sign in and out herself. But be sure to establish guidelines for doing so. Discuss what she would be doing after she signed out. But if you don't feel comfortable don't give her the option.

Do you have to pay a fee to use Carnivals cell phone while your kids are in Camp Carnival? Our own cell phones will not work on the ship right?

They are given to parents of 2-5 year olds first. I'm sure if they have any left over they would give you one if you asked.

When my now DD 14 was that age. We let her sign in/out so she could participate in the Scavenger hunts, however, we walked her to camp, watched her sign in and agreed what time to "pick" her up.

We would then go back to Camp and if she wanted to stay, we agreed on another time or if she was done, we watched her sign out and left together.

That system worked well for our family.

I still don't let her wander the ship alone and never at night. If she wants to go to lido for pizza or something, she does and comes right back to the room or wherever we are.

If you do not allow her to sign in and out she can't participate in the scavenger hunt.

With my kids in depends on which ones I'm talking about as to whether they were allowed to sign themselves in and out at the age of 9. Two of my four children were allowed to sign themselves out at younger ages. The two who were not allowed were just too unpredictable.

If you do not allow her to sign in and out she can't participate in the scavenger hunt.

With my kids in depends on which ones I'm talking about as to whether they were allowed to sign themselves in and out at the age of 9. Two of my four children were allowed to sign themselves out at younger ages. The two who were not allowed were just too unpredictable.

Our solution to this was to have our child participate in the all ages scavenger hunt with the family =) My 10yo didn't care too much about missing the camp hunt after winning the all ages hunt with her sibs :D

Thanks for all the input! I'll sign her up for it so that she can check-out for scavenger hunts and all. Fortunately, I know I can trust to her follow what ever guidelines we establish. She wouldn't likely WANT to be alone at any time anyway.

We're thinking of getting some walkie-talkies for limited use (I know how much those can annoy people) in case we can't get a camp phone. Then if she and a friend wanted to go get some pizza or a snack or something she could just call and let me know.

We're just 16 days away now!! Can't wait!

Jamie

I would let her sign in and out herself. But be sure to establish guidelines for doing so. Discuss what she would be doing after she signed out. But if you don't feel comfortable don't give her the option.

Right, then you won't waste your time being nervous ;)