Houston Airports

nitlioner

We will be cruising out of Galveston for the first time and have never flown into Houston. Other than the obvious flight cost and schedules, is there any advantage to flying into or out of either of the 2 airports? It looks like Hobby is further south so most likely it could be quicker to get to. Any thoughts from those who know the area or have flown there?

What airline are you flying? Southwest you have no choice but hobby. United you will be at the big airport for example.

We haven't made any flight arrangements yet, still pretty far out, but was just curious about the 2 airports. If a certain airport has more negatives for whatever reason, we might try to avoid it if possible. We fly from the Baltimore area so Southwest is always an option we consider, but almost all the majors are available to us.

Wish I would have asked this question before I booked flight into IAH. Transportation costs are all much higher from IAH to Galveston. Definitely go into HOU unless it is several hundred dollars cheaper, because the shuttles are more expensive, and "on airport" car rental fees are astronomical thru IAH.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We haven't made any flight arrangements yet, still pretty far out, but was just curious about the 2 airports. If a certain airport has more negatives for whatever reason, we might try to avoid it if possible. We fly from the Baltimore area so Southwest is always an option we consider, but almost all the majors are available to us.

Hobby is closer to Galveston being on the south side. IAH is on the north side of Houston. There are no negatives as an airport "is an airport". IAH is the major international airport.

Hobby was the first airport in Houston and probably has more traffic due to general aviation.

The airlines that serve Hobby are:

Air Tran, American, American Eagle, Atlantic Southeast, ATA, Branson, Delta and Southwest

Hobby is closer to Galveston being on the south side. IAH is on the north side of Houston. There are no negatives as an airport "is an airport". IAH is the major international airport.

Hobby was the first airport in Houston and probably has more traffic due to general aviation.

The airlines that serve Hobby are:

Air Tran, American, American Eagle, Atlantic Southeast, ATA, Branson, Delta and Southwest

Your list for airlines flying into Hobby is a little obsolete. According to the official website the current airlines are Air Tran, American, Delta, Jet Blue and Southwest.

Thanks for the input. Not being familiar with Houston or the airports, you never know if there is something that makes one stand out over the other. The comment about transportaion costs is good to know. Is there any traffic issues on the north side of the City vs the south side?

Southwest has that "Two Bags pp Fly Free" thing going for them as a plus.

Also, they don't charge a Change Penalty Fee for changing your flight - right up until 10 minutes before.

The people getting nervous about delays in disembarkation are invariably on Other Airlines who apparently are not as flexible.

Is there any traffic issues on the north side of the City vs the south side?

Well, there's a lot more ROAD between the northern parts and Galveston, than from Hobby to Galveston. Come rush hour, both directions get some traffic issues. Your odds are better going with the "Shorter Distance" plan, for sure!

Edited by sminfiddle
etaoin shrdlu

Okay, "Best Answer" goes to Dave, no doubt about it.

Here's a good boiled-down set of info that I think you'll like, from a nearby thread:

From Bush Airport IAH it is 70 miles to Galveston cruise terminal. That could take you anywhere from 1 1/4 hours to 3 hours, just depends on traffic and road construction.

Hobby Airport HOU is just over 40 miles from the Galveston cruise terminal. That could take you 45 minutes or 1 1/2 hours. Again dependant on traffic and construction.

If I was doing this I would not schedule a flight from HOU before noon or IAH before 2PM. I would also fly in the day before and stay on Galveston island the night before the cruise.

I live 53 miles from IAH, which is the airport I always fly out of. I have gotten to the airport in 45 minutes and I have gotten to the airport in 2 1/2 hours. You just never know, so I always allow at least 3 hours before my flight.

Hope this helps. :)

I also hope this helps.

Rick

Your list for airlines flying into Hobby is a little obsolete. According to the official website the current airlines are Air Tran, American, Delta, Jet Blue and Southwest.

This list is from the current website at Hobby this morning. Perhaps they changed it in the last 3 hours:rolleyes:

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

Wish I would have asked this question before I booked flight into IAH. Transportation costs are all much higher from IAH to Galveston. Definitely go into HOU unless it is several hundred dollars cheaper, because the shuttles are more expensive, and "on airport" car rental fees are astronomical thru IAH.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This Sunday I fly into Houston (IAH), and I booked my transportation through Carnival to get me to Galveston and back-I think it was $90 RT, may have been $10 cheaper for the shuttle service out of Hobby. May have been cheaper if I rented a car-don't know-traveling solo, so I didn't want the hassle....yes, it does seem expensive getting from Houston to Galveston. Bought and paid for, so I'm a happy cruiser!:cool:

Should I worry about much traffic on a Sunday? My flight out isn't until 5:45pm what time should I leave the island to get there in plenty of time?

Thanks much!

You will be fine. You could leave by noon and still have plenty of time to wander around the airport on a Sunday.