Booked on the Zuiderdam -

TNguy12

Just booked a round trip out of Vancouver on the Zuiderdam.....now having second thoughts about whether or not we should have instead booked on the Volendam. We have an aft suite and my initial excitement has turned into concern/buyer's remorse. Its our first cruise...and an anniversary cruise....and I want it to be perfect...we're late 30's...and its VERY rare that we can get away without the kids...

Any thoughts....is it too late to switch..should we switch??

Help!

Just booked a round trip out of Vancouver on the Zuiderdam.....now having second thoughts about whether or not we should have instead booked on the Volendam. We have an aft suite and my initial excitement has turned into concern/buyer's remorse. Its our first cruise...and an anniversary cruise....and I want it to be perfect...we're late 30's...and its VERY rare that we can get away without the kids...

Any thoughts....is it too late to switch..should we switch??

Help!

I thought you had already asked these questions and received responses. I stick with my previous answer - Volendam. And I've sailed both to Alaska.

I wouldn't switch.

For every person who reports being unhappy with a ship (if that's why you are having second thoughts about the Z) there are hundreds who were happy on the same cruise. However, I would suggest you lower your hopes from "perfect" to "very good". In 15 HAL cruises and 2 non-HAL we haven't had a perfect one yet, but of course most have been good to excellent or we wouldn't keep coming back. Don't micro-plan what you want it to be, just go with the flow of what happens.

Have a great cruise to the Great Land! :)

Edited by jtl513

The aft wrap around suites are great on the Vista ships. We are joining Zuiderdam in San Diego in May and going on to Alaska. We're in a deck 5 aft suite- the "veranda" is 450 square feet and completely covered- great for Alaska.

I do believe there are a couple of folks in this thread that we will be on the ship with :)

A lot of issues on Z have been A/C issues. In Alaska should be no problem (natural air conditioning).

Edited by frankc98376

Yes....I had asked these questions previously.....and received responses previously.....its all part of my obsessive nature.....:D

So then, just a reminder that the Volendam midweek departure makes a huge difference in the ports..... way less busy and you might even get into the Red Dog Saloon.;)

What, exactly, are the concerns that are causing you to second guess your decision? There was something about the Zuiderdam cruise that made you prefer it over the Volendam. Are your reasons still valid? If you do switch, will you be second guessing that decision, too?

There comes a time when, after exploring the choices, you have to make a decision. Then drop it. Don't keep re-deciding the same thing over and over again.

Completely agree......that's great advice (in life too)...we were drawn to the Z based on its fit for our timetable...and, most importantly, we'd read a number of comments about the aft cabins....so we thought we'd give that a go!

Appreciate the kind words and advice....in a subset (Holland America) that I've seen a number of snarky comments.....I really appreciate you dealing 'gently' with me! Thanks again!!!

Completely agree......that's great advice (in life too)...we were drawn to the Z based on its fit for our timetable...and, most importantly, we'd read a number of comments about the aft cabins....so we thought we'd give that a go!

Appreciate the kind words and advice....in a subset (Holland America) that I've seen a number of snarky comments.....I really appreciate you dealing 'gently' with me! Thanks again!!!

Go with your gut! Weekend departures are nice if you work a regular M-F schedule, aft cabins are wonderful, and there is not much difference in how many ships are in port. There are websites you can look up to see that.

Happy cruising, you will have a fabulous time.

Go with your gut! Weekend departures are nice if you work a regular M-F schedule, aft cabins are wonderful, and there is not much difference in how many ships are in port. There are websites you can look up to see that.

Happy cruising, you will have a fabulous time.

I hate to disagree with you, donswife, but I have been in the Alaska ports with 1 ship, 2 ships, 3 ships, and 5 ships. It makes a huge difference.

I hate to disagree with you, donswife, but I have been in the Alaska ports with 1 ship, 2 ships, 3 ships, and 5 ships. It makes a huge difference.

That is not what I meant. I looked up some of the ports, and there are about the same number of ships in the ports each day, so there is not much difference it that regard between her 2 options. I agree with you, the less ships the better, which is one of the reasons we picked our particular dates for the Westerdam.

To the OP - I just want to make sure you do understand that you are comparing 2 ships that are in entirely different classes. You will not get an aft-wrap cabin on the Volendam.

Consider also - what if you cancel the Zuiderdam because you read some bad stuff about this ship ... and next month you start reading about "bad stuff" on the Volendam? I'm of the mindset that HAL tries to provide its guests the best possible cruise experience. I also know that "stuff happens" - and it can/could/does happen on all ships.

Edited by Linda&Vern