Suggestions for spending about 9 hrs in FLL?

dobes3kh

Based on the great advice received here (thanks!) we have decided to go with a later flight returning home. We will be arriving in Miami after our cruise and we are flying out of FLL but not until 10pm (to Toronto).

I personally don't think I could handle sitting at an airport for that amount of time so I am looking for some advice on what we can do to pass about 9 hrs in FLL.

Is there a mall nearby?

Would it be worth renting a car in Miami and dropping off in FLL?

We were planning on taking a shuttle from Miami to FLL but if renting a car is a better idea?? We will have our luggage with us and definitely don't want to be walking around with it. And in my experience, the airlines do not allow early check-in for bags.

Thanks again!

Based on the great advice received here (thanks!) we have decided to go with a later flight returning home. We will be arriving in Miami after our cruise and we are flying out of FLL but not until 10pm (to Toronto).

I personally don't think I could handle sitting at an airport for that amount of time so I am looking for some advice on what we can do to pass about 9 hrs in FLL.

Is there a mall nearby?

Would it be worth renting a car in Miami and dropping off in FLL?

We were planning on taking a shuttle from Miami to FLL but if renting a car is a better idea?? We will have our luggage with us and definitely don't want to be walking around with it. And in my experience, the airlines do not allow early check-in for bags.

Thanks again!

Renting a car gives you more options. Check out http://www.sunny.org for Fort Lauderdale attractions, restaurants, etc.

Should you take the shuttle, you can store your luggage at the Fort Lauderdale Airport at Bags to Go (http://www.bagstogo.net) and then be free to take a taxi or the sun trolley (http://www.suntrolley.com) around Fort Lauderdale. On Saturdays and Sundays the sun trolley stops at the airport. Check out details (including pick up stops) at http://www.broward.org/Airport/Trans...unTrolley.aspx. According to the website, at the visitors center you can purchase Fort Lauderdale Excursion passes. "The pass includes admission to museums and historic properties, discounts at restaurants and shops, and all-day passage on the free Sun Trolley."

I would hotwire or priceline a hotel room either at the airport or downtown/17th Street.

You can go straight to the hotel and if your room isn't ready, you can have breakfast and hang by the pool. That afternoon you can shower, change, and cab or water taxi it to Las Olas for a great meal.

Depending upon your hotel, you can either use their shuttle to the port or cab it.

Excellent suggestions! Thank you :)

I wasn't aware of the sun trolley but it looks like fun. I also like the idea of being able to store our bags at the airport. Perhaps I've just never really needed to do this before but I think all airports should have this option!

One question---I've never used hotwire or priceline.....if you aren't satisfied with the choice you're given, do you have any options to change?

Thanks again.