Silhouette questions-coffee and crafting

lovethesun1960

We are travelling on the Silhouette on 2/9....so excited! I am buying the drink package that gets me all the fancy coffee and tea and smoothies I want, but my husband, mom and dad all just drink black coffee. When we were on the Freedom of the Seas, there was a coffee shop where you could buy Starbucks coffee at the front or walk a few feet more to the back and get all the free hot tea and Seattle's Best Coffee you wanted plus eat the free snacks. Is there somewhere comparable on the Silhouette? Also where can we get black coffee to go any time of the day?

Also, I am a crafter and am interested in these master artists who teach jewelry making etc-does anyone have any info on that.

And Where is your favorite place to just sit around out of the sun and talk (and knit-only I will be knitting) and read without taking up space that they would prefer extra food buying customers to use.

There is a cafe for specialty coffees on deck 5. Desserts are free of charge there but there is no otherl food/sandwiches. There is black coffee in the Oceanview Cafe on deck 14 whenever it is open.

There are 3 or 4 jewelry classes. The first one is free (a bead bracelet) and fills up very fast. On the last sea day I made a beautiful mosiac pendant and they also had some cool rings you could make. I think it is $20 per class which includes all supplies. There are also some painting and printing classes.

There is plenty of room out of the sun around the pool and in the solarium. Some people spend the day in the Sky Lounge or lobby. The library is nice but it's inappropriate to talk in there. The Hideaway is another area you might like.

The Hideaway also has coffee. The specialty coffees at Cafe al Bacio are not free. Of course there is also room service for coffee!

For some unexplainable reason the Hideaway had the best free coffee.

💨🍻🍸

We went on a cruise on Solstice in December. I spent almost every day at sea sitting in cafe al bacio watching people take dance classes etc in the grand foyer while knitting away on last minute christmas presents. I also saw another lady there doing some crochet work. Luckily we had the premium drink package, which helps a lot if you are a coffee addict like me and don't mind the occasional shot of amaretto in your drink :-)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You can get the basic brewed ships coffee in the buffet 24/7. In the mornings they have paper take away cups there. They put these away after breakfast but you can ask one of the staff there for one and they'll get you one (they're usually in a cabinet under the coffee machines).

The bad news, at least in my opinion, is that the no-extra charge coffee is awful. Because of that we stick with the extra cost coffee. The bad news there is that they only nice quality extra cost coffee they sell is espresso based coffee. An Americano, which is espresso with hot water added, is the closest thing you can get to a decent tasting cup of black coffee on the ship and will set you back around $4.50 and is included in all of the beverage packages. The best ones are served at Café al Bacio on deck 5 although the ones at the bar at the front of the buffet are pretty good as well.

With that said not every one is as picky about there coffee and some cruisers enjoy the no extra charge coffee as is or watered down a little if it is too strong.

For some unexplainable reason the Hideaway had the best free coffee....

I've read that before but didn't find it much different from the no-extra charge coffee served at the buffet when we sailed the Silhouette in December 2012. Worth a try though I guess.

...And Where is your favorite place to just sit around out of the sun and talk (and knit-only I will be knitting) and read without taking up space that they would prefer extra food buying customers to use.

Sky lounge or Ensemble lounge during the day when there are not other things going on there. There are lots of lounges around the ship that are very quiet during the day unless they are having trivia or an art auction there. If one is busy then pick another one. We're often looking for one of these in the afternoon to play cards with our cruise friends or to sit and read. There are also a few nooks here and there outside in the shade. Need to hunt around the ship for these as it will vary depending on the position of the sun relative to ship's position. Check out the area on the opposite side of the deck from the "Porch" restaurant. Many people also like sitting by the pool but at the extreme sides of the deck under the shade of the overhang from the deck above.

Edited by Lsimon