Specialty Restaurants CLOSED for a month after drydock

Just spent over 30 minutes on the phone with RCCL's Customer Service, C&A and a Supervisor in Resolutions.

Specific to my NOS 3/30/14 what I have been told today is

• that RCCL does not intend to have 75% of it's specialty dining restaurants closed and not producing revenue.
  • that the Dining Department has not loaded the information onto the website for Izumi, Giovanni's Table and Sabor Modern Mexican for the February & March sailings directly following the dry dock.
  • that the fact that on-line reservations cannot currently be made is in no way an indication that the restaurants will be closed .
  • that I should continue to frequently check RCCL'S website as all this information should be post soon.
  • that I will be able to make on-line reservations prior to the actual cruise date.

I hope this is the truth (and thank you for taking the time to call and inquire).

We are on the Feb 9 sailing and I noticed online no ability to book anything but Chops. I hope this is a case of the web not getting updated fast enough.

I hope nothing is closed for my oasis cruise after dry dock.

Oasis will not be getting the extensive renovations that Navigator is getting. Just a short routine dry dock. Other than the possible change of show and Rita's I doubt if we'll see any big changes. I'm looking forward to the TA:)

Oasis will not be getting the extensive renovations that Navigator is getting. Just a short routine dry dock. Other than the possible change of show and Rita's I doubt if we'll see any big changes. I'm looking forward to the TA:)

That was my thinking. No cabins or features being added structure wise. I hope they get most thingz done. I would be highly disappointed to not have venues on oasis for 13 days

I hope this is the truth (and thank you for taking the time to call and inquire).

We are on the Feb 9 sailing and I noticed online no ability to book anything but Chops. I hope this is a case of the web not getting updated fast enough.

This is what I think about the specialty restaurants:

All will be open in February! Right now Sabor is almost ready for sign off. Chops is also ready! Izumi is near final sign off complete. Giovannis is 50% complete and ahead of schedule. The people to man the restruants are on board and ready to start serving on Feb 5th. Relax and enjoy :)

Oh, really, does anyone think the RCI website will be updated in only the time it takes to build a ship?.....right! :rolleyes:

For several weeks I've been trying to make reservations for specialty restaurants on our Feb. 5 Navigator of the Seas cruise (the first after drydock), but the only restaurant that comes up is Chops. Yesterday I gave up and phoned C&A, and I was transferred to a department called "On-Board Dining" which I assume is in the corporate office.

I was told by a Supervisor in that department the reason I can't make reservations for Giovanni's, Isumi or Sabor online is that they aren't scheduled to open until the first sailing in March! Her excuse was that, although the new specialty restaurants will be added during drydock and construction should be complete before our sailing, "it takes time to train staff to work there." Really? I told her I didn't think it was fair for these venues to be shown on the deck plans starting February 1, if they already know they won't be open for another month. That leaves Chops as the only available specialty restaurant for at least 4 sailings, but you can be sure the prices aren't discounted for those cruises. Grrr....

Hi there,

I just checked in with Royal Caribbean's PR folks, and this is what I was told:

"I'm afraid that our guest was misinformed and we are very sorry for the confusion. The online reservation system for the specialty restaurants on Navigator of the Seas was undergoing an update to add new restaurants Izumi Asian Cuisine and Giovanni's Table as part of the extensive revitalization of the ship. The reservation system is back up and guests can continue to make reservations in Navigator of the Seas' Chops Grille steakhouse, Izumi Asian Cuisine, and Giovanni's Table.

With best regards,

Harry"

It doesn't address Sabor, but at least it appears you've now got some other options. Perhaps you can try again to make the reservations and see if it works. Let us know. Hope this helps!

Edited by ashley@cruisecritic

Hi there,

I just checked in with Royal Caribbean's PR folks, and this is what I was told:

"I'm afraid that our guest was misinformed and we are very sorry for the confusion. The online reservation system for the specialty restaurants on Navigator of the Seas was undergoing an update to add new restaurants Izumi Asian Cuisine and Giovanni's Table as part of the extensive revitalization of the ship. The reservation system is back up and guests can continue to make reservations in Navigator of the Seas' Chops Grille steakhouse, Izumi Asian Cuisine, and Giovanni's Table.

With best regards,

Harry"

It doesn't address Sabor, but at least it appears you've now got some other options. Perhaps you can try again to make the reservations and see if it works. Let us know. Hope this helps!

Thanks Ashley! :). But Harry is not correct about the reservation being "up." It still only offers Chops. Well, that was a few minutes ago so I will keep trying. Thanks again for the encouragement. :)

I would expect "teething" issues following a dry dock with new venues installed; I would not expect them closed for a month! NOT ACCEPTABLE!

However, and luckily<?> it looks like this is another communication goof made in conjunction with your regularly scheduled IT department program. I hope everything is up and running for eager cruisers to board and enjoy from the first sailing back in service.

It is ridiculous that people who call get a different answer every time they call. But that is common on other lines too, as we have learned. Ridiculous.

I think it's in the Universal Cruise Phone Agent Training Manual.:rolleyes:

I was on the phone with C&A this morning, and I asked if the Navigator was going to be offering any kind of specialty dining package. Not surprisingly, the person I was talking to thought it was "possible".

Still trying...still not able to make online reservations for any restaurant except Chops on the Feb. 5 sailing.

I just called C&A to add my daughter's Diamond # to our reservation; and while I was doing that, I mentioned I'd been told by the "Onboard Dining" staff that Navigator's new specialty restaurants will not open until March. Her refined and professional response was "Well, that's a bunch of crap!" I didn't ask if she was referring to the information I was given or the fact the restaurants won't be open...

So now I've heard a THIRD answer to the same question:

(1) None of the new specialty restaurants will open until the first sailing in March.

(2) They'll all be open...you just won't be able to book reservations on line prior to boarding.

(3) That's a bunch of crap.

I think it's safe to say that at least one of these responses will prove to be true!

For several weeks I've been trying to make reservations for specialty restaurants on our Feb. 5 Navigator of the Seas cruise (the first after drydock), but the only restaurant that comes up is Chops. Yesterday I gave up and phoned C&A, and I was transferred to a department called "On-Board Dining" which I assume is in the corporate office.

I was told by a Supervisor in that department the reason I can't make reservations for Giovanni's, Isumi or Sabor online is that they aren't scheduled to open until the first sailing in March! Her excuse was that, although the new specialty restaurants will be added during drydock and construction should be complete before our sailing, "it takes time to train staff to work there." Really? I told her I didn't think it was fair for these venues to be shown on the deck plans starting February 1, if they already know they won't be open for another month. That leaves Chops as the only available specialty restaurant for at least 4 sailings, but you can be sure the prices aren't discounted for those cruises. Grrr....

Oh well ,enjoy your cruise anyway.

Still trying...still not able to make online reservations for any restaurant except Chops on the Feb. 5 sailing.

I just called C&A to add my daughter's Diamond # to our reservation; and while I was doing that, I mentioned I'd been told by the "Onboard Dining" staff that Navigator's new specialty restaurants will not open until March. Her refined and professional response was "Well, that's a bunch of crap!" I didn't ask if she was referring to the information I was given or the fact the restaurants won't be open...

(1) None of the new specialty restaurants will open until the first sailing in March.

(2) They'll all be open...you just won't be able to book reservations on line prior to boarding.

I think it's safe to say that at least one of these responses will prove to be true!

I highly recommend you go with the attitude that everything will be great and the restaurants will be open. If they're not, then you have every right to blast the crap out of them. Just don't let your worries ruin a cruise before you get on the ship.

Not certain who on this thread has been following the Navigator Drydock thread but here's the link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1968301&page=23

Recommend reading/viewing posts #450 and # 452. Aim1 and her husband Dry Dock Dave (who apparently is actually on the NOS )have been posting regular updates regarding the refurbishment. Post #452 gives a specialty restaurants update as of a day or so ago.

Why don't you just try not to worry about it? Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised when you board. For what it's worth, I can't access anything but Chops either, and I don't sail until April 6th.

I humbly disagree that the cruise doesn't 'owe' the OP anything. They owe what is advertised, there is no question of entitlement. BTW you do pay extra for the speciality restaurants so you're not expecting them as part of your standard offerings in the cruise fare.

The booking also shows that your stops are Belize, Honduras and Cozumel, but if the weather doesn't cooperate you may miss one or more of the stops. It is advertised to make those stops. Things happen, enjoy that you are on a cruise and not at work. If all you go on a cruise for is to eat you can do that a whole lot cheaper and likely not have to leave the country to do it.

Cruises on ships with more specialty restaurants DO cost more than cruises on ships without them, AND when ports are missed, cruisers are compensated, just sayin'. I don't eat at specialty restaurants, so it doesn't really pose a threat to our cruise, but I see how it could be a big disappointment to some who booked based on false advertising of what was offered on this cruise.

Edited by stewpapa

I was just checking the pre-cruise planner for our April 6th cruise on the Navigator, and all specialty restaurants are available for booking online. Apparently, Giovani's, Izumi, and Sabor were added sometime in the last day or two. Unfortunately, the link for the Sabor menu does not work yet. I guess it is time to see if anyone on a February sailing is able to book these restaurants.

Paul in Jax, FL

I was just checking the pre-cruise planner for our April 6th cruise on the Navigator, and all specialty restaurants are available for booking online. Apparently, Giovani's, Izumi, and Sabor were added sometime in the last day or two. Unfortunately, the link for the Sabor menu does not work yet. I guess it is time to see if anyone on a February sailing is able to book these restaurants.

Paul in Jax, FL

Yep! All available for my Feb 5th sailing!! Yay!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Got our reservations booked for the Feb 5th cruise at Sabor!! Glad they finally got all the specialty restaurants loaded intothe system so we can put this topic to rest! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why don't you just try not to worry about it? Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised when you board. For what it's worth, I can't access anything but Chops either, and I don't sail until April 6th.

I agree with Cindi, we frequently have to book after boarding because we cannot utilize our free dinner perks from our TA to prebook. We have never had a problem getting almost any time we want. Just take a deep breath and wait until you board. I go straight up to the restaurants as soon as I board and get 'er done.

As I have said umpteen times, they are most willing to comply. You just have to ask.

Oops just noticed the new info...yippee!

Edited by BecciBoo