P&O new livery

Frontera2

Titanic had buff funnels. Costa funnels are more yellow with a massive C printed on them.

The correct colour name was always buff.

As I said earlier the P&O house flag represents Spain and Portugal so why they think Britain is the main country to be represented is beyond me. All their past ship names were a multicultural reflection on the destinations they could reach to.

Why mention Titanic's funnel colour in relation to the new P&O livery?

Just out of interest KarateMan is the P&O Australia loyalty scheme the same as it is in the UK where you need to take a couple of world cruises every two years just to stay in the top tier?

I would not have a clue about their loyalty scheme. Have never cruised with them. I am in the top tier with P&O UK. I have also cruised Princess, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

Half a world cruise is enough with another cruise mid-year to remain in the top tier. Got to be over a certain number of nights though.

Here is an old P&O colour scheme that was used back in the 1970s.

The livery on the STRATCONON was in standard... white hull with green waterline and buff funnel. Then the livery was changed to 'corn colour' on the hull with blue waterline with a blue funnel with the stylised P&O in large letters. It was never liked for anyone!

Here is another P&O ship in that corn colour hull and blue funnel... the STATHATLOW.

The corn colour is from the old days when the livery was in the Orient Line, sisterships of P&O.

Stephen

Forgot to the photos... here they are.

Stephen

Thanks for the photos. Going off memory here it was just Peninsular line. There was some merger or take over of the Orient lines which as you point out had a colour scheme with the corn hull. The line eventually became Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. It slowly transitioned into the all white hull with buff funnel.

Interestingly there was a time when the QEII had an all white hull.

On another note if you take a close look at Cunard ships you will note they have a signature design of funnels and masts in a way that the shape or silhouette uniquely identifies them as Cunard. Arcadia was supposed to be a HAL ship then it was to be the Queen Elizabeth. This was cancelled. As a result the ship ended up as Arcadia with P&O. If you look carefully at Arcadia's mast and funnel you will clearly see it has the silhouette and shape features of the Cunard line.

What I find very curious is that the new ship Britannia also seems to have the foremast resembling that of a Cunard shape. The Cunard mast is normally a tall straight front edge with fat rear base angling up slightly with a more sharper angle facing forward at the tip of the mast.

Cunard ships all were identified by their red (carrot) funnels and mast design. They always had a black hull with white waterline stripe. Around the time of QEII Cunard funnels added further structures similar to how the mast looks on QM2, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Victoria and Arcadia.

Thanks for the photos. Going off memory here it was just Peninsular line. There was some merger or take over of the Orient lines which as you point out had a colour scheme with the corn hull. The line eventually became Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. It slowly transitioned into the all white hull with buff funnel.

Just a point... there were two companies... P&O and the Orient Line. For a while the company was then as P&O-Orient Line and eventually dropped the Orient and just styled as P&O. This Orient ship dropped their Corn colour hulls.

Interestingly there was a time when the QEII had an all white hull.

Not actually white.. it was pale grey... for about a while after Falklands.

On another note if you take a close look at Cunard ships you will note they have a signature design of funnels and masts in a way that the shape or silhouette uniquely identifies them as Cunard. Arcadia was supposed to be a HAL ship then it was to be the Queen Elizabeth. This was cancelled. As a result the ship ended up as Arcadia with P&O. If you look carefully at Arcadia's mast and funnel you will clearly see it has the silhouette and shape features of the Cunard line.

HAL ordered four Vista Class ships. Cunard need a ship so the Number 4 ship was switched to QUEEN VICTORIA. Funnel and masts different from HAL. Then there was a change and the ship becamed ARCADIA under P&O. Then HAL took hull no 5 became as NOORDAM and a much changed ship became as another QUEEN VICTORIA... and even another ship QUEEN ELIZABETH.

Cunard ships all were identified by their red (carrot) funnels and mast design. They always had a black hull with white waterline stripe. Around the time of QEII Cunard funnels added further structures similar to how the mast looks on QM2, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Victoria and Arcadia.

As QE2.. never as QEII!

QE2 never had a black hull... it was FEDERAL GREY... a dark colour but dark grey... almost black. For a just a couple of years QE2 also has a dark blue hull. Awful!

BRITANNIA is almost a clone of the ROYAL PRINCESS... but think that she would have much better as intended the buff funnels... in my choices.

Colours on ships may look around around the board room but on the sea... colours like buff and yellow stand out againt blue and sea. Plain dark blue on funnels fade in the distance. Most ships seem to be blue and white... other than a few like yellow of Costa... stand out on the sea... bright white hull with yellow.... looks good.... even as you might see her as the ELIZABETTA COSTA!!!! ;-)

Attached... ORONSAY and ORIANA as the Orient Line in the corn colour hull and with the buff funnels... the buff and corn colour were slighly different... hard to tell them ... just a slight different tint.

Stephen

359394460_ELIZABETTACOSTA.jpg.9d5acbca5e7013c85d727dbe8274bd8d.jpg

Oronsay_Auckland_Aug_1958.jpg.56e81fb0bd09e0f7fa3c00ff26ef0b93.jpg

Oriana_22.jpg.2410539979fb5106398802076a7f29f2.jpg

It may be of interest to you that between 1969 and 1983 the QE2 had a white funnel with a black surround,the traditional Cunard Colours were only adopted after the ship was fitted with a new funnel which I believe was at the same time she was refitted with Diesel engines in place of her original steam turbines.As a schoolboy in Dumbarton just downstream from Clydebank where she was built we were all taken down to the riverbank to see her set off on her sea trials as I remember it was a day of traditional Scottish weather raining and cold.

It may be of interest to you that between 1969 and 1983 the QE2 had a white funnel with a black surround,the traditional Cunard Colours were only adopted after the ship was fitted with a new funnel which I believe was at the same time she was refitted with Diesel engines in place of her original steam turbines.As a schoolboy in Dumbarton just downstream from Clydebank where she was built we were all taken down to the riverbank to see her set off on her sea trials as I remember it was a day of traditional Scottish weather raining and cold.

The black/white funnel was changed the livery to the old Cunard orange funnel colour when the ship was refitted following her service in the Falklands conflict. That was after 1982.

In 1987 the old steam plant was replaced by diesel/electric drive. this meant that the uptakes were considerably bigger. The middle black portion was renewed and the cheeks around the old funnel were added... but with an extra around the back. The wind scoops were able to reattached to the funnel. It all worked very well.... she was almost another 25 years of service.

Stephen