P&O new livery

Frontera2

Its not that I disagree with being part of British background. I personally have backgrounds of Scotland, Ireland and England.

I just cant picture or visualise how the union jack represents P&O the company.

Below is an extract of P&O heritage website about the flag:

The P&O House Flag dates back to the Company's origins and bears the colours of the royal families of Portugal (blue and white) and Spain (red and gold). This royal seal of approval was granted to P&O's founders, Brodie McGhie Willcox and Arthur Anderson, following their support for the legitimist causes in the Civil Wars in Portugal and Spain in the early 1830's.

A handy rhyme has reminded P&O crew how to fly the flag ever since: "Blue to the mast, Red to the fly, Yellow to the deck and White to the Sky!"

The company basically started off as a mail service delivering to Iberia and further expanded to the Orient. Many of the historic ship names represent places reached on the globe by the company.

From what I know of P&O all of its symbols and names have been diverse and multicultural not unilateral.

The British Empire is far from unique. If you go back to it's height then at that time everyone from a small African tribe to the British were at it. From invading your neighbors village to invading most of the world.

The finger is always pointed at Britain as we were far better at it than anyone else. With hindsight you can easily say we were wrong but so was just about everyone else at the time.

The British Empire is far from unique. If you go back to it's height then at that time everyone from a small African tribe to the British were at it. From invading your neighbors village to invading most of the world.

The finger is always pointed at Britain as we were far better at it than anyone else. With hindsight you can easily say we were wrong but so was just about everyone else at the time.

Onya, Vixxy! I agree with you. :) I really don't know whether or not I like the painted bow, but I do like the new funnels. I liked P&O Australia better with the sun logo on the funnels and the blue stripe mid-ship. As said above their ships are still registered in London and the crew apart from officers consists mostly of people from the Phillippines, India and other Asian countries. Australians aren't employed on their ships because of income tax hurdles.

Its not that I disagree with being part of British background. I personally have backgrounds of Scotland, Ireland and England.

I just cant picture or visualise how the union jack represents P&O the company.

Below is an extract of P&O heritage website about the flag:

The company basically started off as a mail service delivering to Iberia and further expanded to the Orient. Many of the historic ship names represent places reached on the globe by the company.

From what I know of P&O all of its symbols and names have been diverse and multicultural not unilateral.

Well, the new livery does actually contain all of the colours in the P&O house flag - red, white and blue are all on the hull, and the blue and yellow on the funnels...

Just trying to prove a point nothing more. Travelling certainly opens your eyes to history. An interesting bit of trivia is that there are only 22 countries in the world today that Britain has not invaded under that flag.

Portugal, Switzerland, Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City, San Marino, Liechtenstein, Japan, Taiwan, most of South America, the USA, Canada, most of the Caribbean, a fair bit of eastern Europe, much of the far east ...

Could you name the 22 please?

(PS - do you have the same scruples about flying your own country's flag?)

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

I apologise on behalf of my countryman, we are not all republicans, many of us remain loyal to the Crown. Anyway Britain did not invade many countries, including Australia, it 'Colonised.' Although many Australian Aborigines would disagree.

Back to the topic, so I suppose eventually all the P&O UK ships will be in the new livery? OR just 'new builds?'

God Save the Queen !

Edited by NSWP

I apologise on behalf of my countryman, we are not all republicans, many of us remain loyal to the Crown. Anyway Britain did not invade many countries, including Australia, it 'Colonised.' Although many Australian Aborigines would disagree.

Back to the topic, so I suppose eventually all the P&O UK ships will be in the new livery? OR just 'new builds?'

God Save the Queen !

Don't worry I am not a republican at all and want Australia to be part of the Commonwealth.

Personally I like P&O the way it is and think the changes are a mistake. I like the buff funnels better and do not like the hull art. P&O has always been a company that represents multicultural connections. It has never been unilaterally British and trying to make it such is poor form.

Its quite funny you mention "colonised" above as at the Nuremberg trials it was up to British prosecutors to prove that the ****s were guilty of "colonisation by force", which is quite ironic since Britain had already mastered that art form and knew it well.

Tacky. Don't llike it. I've never gone with this idea of anyting being "dated" - if it was good ten years ago, and nothing's changed, why has it stopped being good? Fashion? Pah. :(

And THUS goeth Britain!!!!! :(

I give the new design a +1. (that's newspeak -- Internet speak :) )

I quite often don't like the modernistic designs of many old Companies -- whoever redesigned the logo of the Commonweath Bank of Australia to this cba-logo-web.jpg -----------------should be publicly flogged :( -- as should the Execs/Board members who approved it.

But this new P&O design looks both modern and traditional at the same time to me -- very BA like :)

Yes -- big thumbs up from me - and I look forward to seeing it alongside the Sydney OPT sometime.

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

I like this new livery and I don't understand how changing the color of the funnel cheapens the look at all.

It doesn't cheapen the look.

It just takes away the familiarity. Imagine a Princess ship without the Sea Witch logo on the funnel, imagine Royal Caribbean getting rid of their crown and anchor logo and repainting their funnels a whole new colour. Imagine Cunard changing the colour scheme of their ships.

The QM2 and its funnels are the same as the colour of the funnels of the Lusitania, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth and QEII. It is a long standing tradition that has become part of its identity.

Same with P&O their funnels have always been buff. It is a familiar sign that it is a P&O ship. The true loyal followers who have been with P&O for decades prior to the Carnival merger and know it for what it was will probably not like the changes.

Could you imaging driving a BMW or Mercedes without their world famous logo on the front.

Personally I think it looks pretty good to me. Fresh, and dare I say it, "modern" !!!

Unless you are a particular P&O fan, the yellow funnel would mean very little. All P&O are doing is reinforcing the brand. P&O ships attract mainly British passengers, use British currency, with British customs such as dressing for dinner, afternoon tea, fish & chips etc. What better way to promote the " Britishness " of the brand but to stick a huge union flag on it ?

Other lines are starting to make their brand more identifiable, so P&O will have to keep up. It is all very well saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but it is not good business sense to ignore your competitors, and, as we are all aware, there is plenty of competition out there !

Cunard should be safe, as the ships already have a very strong branded look. However, to the untrained eye, one big white ship looks very much like another, hence the move move by P&O to try and stand out.

To be totally honest I'm sure that there wouldn't be any P&O cruise fan out there, who would stop sailing with them just because they didn't like the picture on the side :confused: The facilities & standards on board, are the only thing I would be bothered about !

Karateman, don't you think P&O's decision to change the funnel colour away from Buff might just be a corporate decision to differentiate them from Costa cruise lines yellow ones?

Our thoughts too ------- must admit.;)

It also makes them like British Airways - just hope that they retain their standards though as BA were rubbish the last time we flew with them.

:eek:

Titanic had buff funnels. Costa funnels are more yellow with a massive C printed on them.

The correct colour name was always buff.

As I said earlier the P&O house flag represents Spain and Portugal so why they think Britain is the main country to be represented is beyond me. All their past ship names were a multicultural reflection on the destinations they could reach to.

Hi Karateman

I suggest you look up the history of P&O, which was founded in Britain by British founders and up to its merger with Carnival Corporation was fully British owned,even after the merger it has a large number of British share holders.It targets and attracts mainly British passengers on its ships therefore I believe that is why it has decided on the new livery.With regard to your comments regarding the colour of its houseflag, the houseflag represents the colour of the flags of Portugal and Spain the countries that P&O first traded to.Enjoy your future cruises.

Hi Karateman

I suggest you look up the history of P&O, which was founded in Britain by British founders and up to its merger with Carnival Corporation was fully British owned,even after the merger it has a large number of British share holders.It targets and attracts mainly British passengers on its ships therefore I believe that is why it has decided on the new livery.With regard to your comments regarding the colour of its houseflag, the houseflag represents the colour of the flags of Portugal and Spain the countries that P&O first traded to.Enjoy your future cruises.

I am not 100% sure but under the dual listing structure I think that P&O is still owned by the shareholders and money on the London Stock Exchange. With that respect it is British owned.

Put it this way I am in P&O's top loyalty scheme and when I say top I mean very top level. P&O is a line that has that very traditional British feeling on board. It is the actions and service of the company that count not some flashy paint scheme. The existing paint scheme was depiction of the ships long standing tradition to build ships in the same colour scheme since the start.

Sadly I do not agree with the new colour scheme and I do not like it one bit.

Just out of interest KarateMan is the P&O Australia loyalty scheme the same as it is in the UK where you need to take a couple of world cruises every two years just to stay in the top tier?

Edited by CCFC