P&O new livery

Frontera2

Does anyone know what the name letter "P&O" are?

Get rid of the whole nonsense and get rid of the P&O together. Why not just call them...

BRITANNIA CRUISES

Any ideas? If you go for a new fresh name... why bother an old 'P&O'.... no one else doesn't know what teh letters mean for

Stephen

P&O stands for peninsular and orient, and Britannia is the name of the new ship. It would sound stupid called the Britannia Britannia.

It doesn't matter what the initials are for, they represent the company. Look at LG - they originally stood for Lucky Goldstar, but have since been re-purposed into the company motto 'Life's Good' however the company remains as LG.

Actually I'm surprised no one at Carnival House has tried to do that with P&O... 'Party Onboard' and the like.

Does anyone know what the name letter "P&O" are?

Get rid of the whole nonsense and get rid of the P&O together. Why not just call them...

BRITANNIA CRUISES

Any ideas? If you go for a new fresh name... why bother an old 'P&O'.... no one else doesn't know what teh letters mean for

Stephen

If you are on the ship you cant miss it, the restaurants are called the Peninsular and Orient.

P&O stands for peninsular and orient, and Britannia is the name of the new ship. It would sound stupid called the Britannia Britannia.

Most people DO NOT what a clue stand for P&O!

What I am suggest a new name for the whole cruise line.... "Britannia Cruises"..... at least it mean something!

So what do they want... part of their heritage and then throw of the rest? Either get their heritage completely or get rid of it.

Probably in the minority here but as long as it goes to some nice ports & the food and entertainment are good I'm not really fussed about the livery.

Well said.

I'm reminded of a quote from Walt Disney went along the lines of "they don't leave the ride whistling at the architecture"

If the experience is good, then it doesn't really matter what colour the funnels are, nor what arty design they'd decided to add to the hull. So long the standards remain high then we should all be happy.

I would be hard pushed to name a cruise ship that was registered as London, even the QE2 had Hamilton on the back.

The entire P&O fleet in the not too distant past (and former sister line Orient Line) were all registered in London. The original Princess Cruises fleet as well, after they were bought by P&O. Canberra, Oriana, Oronsay, Orcades, Arcadia, Pacific Princess, Island Princess... Shall I go on?

QE2 was registered in Southampton and remained so until she was retired from the fleet. Cunard ships prior to that were registered in Liverpool. QM2 until recently was also registered in Southampton. Now most of the Princess, P&O, and Cunard fleets (maybe all?) are now registered in Hamilton, Bermuda, which does permit them to continue flying the Red Duster.

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest

I am not impressed or wowed by it. Wonder how much money went into designing that new logo and how much it will cost to re-do all the ships. That kind of money would be better off going into more passenger facilities/comfort than mindless self promotion.

P&O are also known for their world cruises program and their desire to cruise to far flung destinations. Having a union jack on their ships prove what point??

To many the union jack represents tyranny and world domination, aggression, hate and oppression with so many Oriental, African, and endless other independent nations around the world being invaded and taken over by the empire.

On all my travels to the British Isles they are all patriotic to their own flag. The Scottish have their blue flag with white cross, the English have their white flag with red cross, the Welsh their green and white flag with red dragon. It is very clear to me that they are all patriotic over their own country's flag. The union jack seems to represent nothing to many people. Even at every single sail away party out come the large Scottish, English, Irish, Welsh flags.

To me the union flag ( is it a jack if it's painted on a boat???) is a symbol of Great Britain. A country that I live in and am proud to live in. Why is it the Brits refer to flying a flag as ' nationalistic' a fairly negative term and other countries refer to it as 'patriotic'. It's not a crime to live your country nor does it mean you are negative to other countries. It does bug me how many Brits think like that tho'. I travel the world. Live in a multicultural family but am still happy and proud to say I am British.

The entire P&O fleet in the not too distant past (and former sister line Orient Line) were all registered in London. The original Princess Cruises fleet as well, after they were bought by P&O. Canberra, Oriana, Oronsay, Orcades, Arcadia, Pacific Princess, Island Princess... Shall I go on?

QE2 was registered in Southampton and remained so until she was retired from the fleet. Cunard ships prior to that were registered in Liverpool. QM2 until recently was also registered in Southampton. Now most of the Princess, P&O, and Cunard fleets (maybe all?) are now registered in Hamilton, Bermuda, which does permit them to continue flying the Red Duster.

All three of P&O Australia's ships (Pacific Dawn, Pacific Jewel and Pacific Pearl) are registered in London.:)

All three of P&O Australia's ships (Pacific Dawn, Pacific Jewel and Pacific Pearl) are registered in London.:)

Probably because there are few advantages to be gained by flagging the ships elsewhere. Maybe weddings at sea are not big business in Australia so the UK maritime law banning ships captains from performing weddings is not important.

Crew wages are important and by registering the ships in London P&O have to pay any crew members who are european union citizens british minimum wages etc. UK based cruise ships can have a lot of east european crew aboard but I guess this does not apply in australia?

It strikes me that there is a strategy behind a number of the recent communications. Why not build on the British brand, that is after all the market they are aiming at.

As an alternative, and in reflection of the variance in posts on here, perhaps it would be better to do something to reflect the personality of P & O cruisers. I suggest a large Rant painted down one side and a large Rave down the other.

Each to their own, change can be good.

Yes P&O ships were registered in the UK, Southampton, up until 2007 when they changed to Hamilton, Bermuda, in order to permit the Captain to perform weddings at sea, giving P&O an extra revenue stream, Cunard did not change its registry until 2011.

Interestingly this gives the lie to the fable that the "convenience" registration is to avoid UK/EU payroll rules and enable them to legally pay low wages.

However back to the thread and I am now warming to the new livery, especially the blue funnels, anything is better than the current rusty beige.

Yes P&O ships were registered in the UK, Southampton, up until 2007 when they changed to Hamilton, Bermuda, in order to permit the Captain to perform weddings at sea, giving P&O an extra revenue stream, Cunard did not change its registry until 2011.

Interestingly this gives the lie to the fable that the "convenience" registration is to avoid UK/EU payroll rules and enable them to legally pay low wages.

However back to the thread and I am now warming to the new livery, especially the blue funnels, anything is better than the current rusty beige.

Thanks for that info. So its just to allow weddings then. Very interesting.

Karate Man I see that you are a resident of Australia, I am a very proud Scotsman first and then very proud to be British.Regarding your remark about the Union Flag being regarded as tyrannical there are many citizens of the areas you mention residing in Britain and many thousands more wanting to live here so we cannot have been that tyrannical.

I am quite happy to see the Union Flag displayed on P&O ships and also wave it along with my Saltire at the sail away parties. Rule Brittania.

I like it, very British. A pity they did not paint up Arcadia in those colours on her recent Bremerhaven drydock/refit/refurb, so as she could fly the Flag on her current World Cruise. In my opinion Karateman is a little out line, off to the Tower of London with you !!

Rule Britannia !!!

Edited by NSWP

Karate Man I see that you are a resident of Australia, I am a very proud Scotsman first and then very proud to be British.Regarding your remark about the Union Flag being regarded as tyrannical there are many citizens of the areas you mention residing in Britain and many thousands more wanting to live here so we cannot have been that tyrannical.

I am quite happy to see the Union Flag displayed on P&O ships and also wave it along with my Saltire at the sail away parties. Rule Brittania.

I like it, very British. A pity they did not paint up Arcadia in those colours on her recent Bremerhaven drydock/refit/refurb, so as she could fly the Flag on her current World Cruise. In my opinion Karateman is a little out line, off to the Tower of London with you !!

Rule Britannia !!!

Just trying to prove a point nothing more. Travelling certainly opens your eyes to history. An interesting bit of trivia is that there are only 22 countries in the world today that Britain has not invaded under that flag. That flag was used to colonise the entire world by force and there are still political hot-spots and conflict zones in the world today thanks entirely to British occupation.

Out of all my travels with P&O no less to all these far flung countries there are always stories of rebellion, massacres, deceptive treaties, genocide and war started or caused by the British empire.

As I stated with my observations earlier on travels to the British isles all people I see flying a flag are patriotic to their own national flag and non the union jack.

Personally I have never seen P&O as a British force. It has always been a trade/commercial shipping company. Their history has been in the trade routes around the world making the company more multi-cultural with its legs and arms around the world than British.

Personally I don't think the union jack represents the history, or conveys the image of what P&O represents historically and presently.

Hi Karate Man I do not disagree with you but what I will say our forebears have fought and died together under that flag to make the world a better place and in my opinion they did not do a bad job. Look at the world we left not perfect but in most cases we left it better than what they have done since.Civil war fighting between tribal groups in countries that did not come under the Union flag.The UK comes under four flags,England,Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland four countries with proud histories on their own but even better together.We must be the number one country in the world for depreciating ourselves but we together turned three quarters of the world red. And hopefully gave them our values your country included and I for one will not apologise for that. I am not a an old fuddie duddy looking back on empire I am only 59 but proud to be BRITISH.

That's what I like NSWP a real Australian, I have family in the Adelaide and Whallya Areas and would quite happily wave the Australian flag as well.

"Advance Australia Fair" created by a Scotsman we travel far to all corners of the world.

It was sad we had to leave the British Empire, but the Commonwealth is fine.

We waved the Aussie flag at the Arcadia 'Great British Sailaways, a couple of year ago on the World Cruise. Leon the CD, came over to my wife and said 'Nice flag Madam.' As he handed her another flag, the white one with the red cross on it. A ripper tale and fair dinkum.

Anyway back to the topic..The new P&O livery is Jubbly.

Edited by NSWP