Has the Cruise Critic I.T. dept flipped?

wallie5446

The reason it caught my eye. I am in Retail, sat in on a presentation from a Internet Co trying to sell us on buying Ad space on a web page. We would only pay a fee when someone clicks on our Ad. So I assume it works the same way here. If we are looking for information about Celebrity, would I not be more likely to 'click' on an Ad for Celebrity vs someone else, thus generating a fee for the web site. Just found it interesting.

I think the banner ads are based on sites you've visited in the past. There are varying levels of granularity and that's probably part of the charge base. So one company might want to have their ads if you ever visited a travel site. Or another company (Cunard) might request to have their banners for people who ever went to a Celebrity site. I think some of the ad companies pay per view - and more per click - and even more if you spend time on the site that you clicked to.

j

I think the banner ads are based on sites you've visited in the past. There are varying levels of granularity and that's probably part of the charge base. So one company might want to have their ads if you ever visited a travel site. Or another company (Cunard) might request to have their banners for people who ever went to a Celebrity site. I think some of the ad companies pay per view - and more per click - and even more if you spend time on the site that you clicked to.

j

This is exactly correct. Right now mine is Crate & Barrel, which I visited several times last week as well as some competing sites. It always freaks me out when I see them because I feel like someone is spying on me LOL. :D

Not on your life. it's based on information they collect from your Internet trail. I've now got Zenni optical - from whom I've ordered about 8 pairs of glasses.

That's NOT what I meant. I meant that it's possible to view ads from other cruise lines on this forum, and vice-versa.

adblocker works…

Yes, quite well, in fact. I never see ads in banners nor along the right side of these pages with AdBlocker. One of the best, and most useful add-ons I've found. Works equally well on other sites, too. No more annoying ads trying to separate me from my money.

Edited by PTMary

Ah the joys of Ad Block on Google Chrome. :D I see no ads.

Oh, and if you're seeing a specific ad, that means you visited that site and downloaded their cookie. So you will see that ad in a lot of places.

Sounds good but I've never looked at, gone to or have any connection with most of the ads I've seen role through. They may have some connection, but it looks random, from my experience.

Den