Pre Cruise hotel in Rome with Transfer

kmac22

Hello All!

I have a question regarding hotels and transfer to the cruise port. We are looking to arrive in Rome Sept 24th and then our cruise leaves the 26th. Are there any hotels that have a transfer from Rome to the cruise port? I read about a website called http://www.transferitalyrome.com , has anybody used them?. The train looks like a good option but I'm not sure how easy it is and we are travelling with somebody that cannot walk a long distance. Can anybody recommend any well priced hotels?

Thanks

Some reading on this board will answer most of your questions about the train. There will also be MANY recommendations on transport providers, and MANY recommendations on hotels. Be aware that Europe is relatively very expensive to North Americans.

There are a few hotels in Rome that will arrange ground transport for you. But haven't heard of any that are free. A taxi to the center area will be a fixed rate of 48 euros.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Some reading on this board will answer most of your questions about the train. There will also be MANY recommendations on transport providers, and MANY recommendations on hotels. Be aware that Europe is relatively very expensive to North Americans.

There are a few hotels in Rome that will arrange ground transport for you. But haven't heard of any that are free. A taxi to the center area will be a fixed rate of 48 euros.

Hello, Thanks! I have been reading and reading but I feel like there is so much information it is over-whelming! I will just have to keep reading :)

Hello, Thanks! I have been reading and reading but I feel like there is so much information it is over-whelming! I will just have to keep reading :)[/quote

You can stay in hotel near Termini station( 5 min walk) and take train to Civitavecchia. Transfers from Airport to Rome and from Rome to cruise port can be really expensive

Hello All!

I have a question regarding hotels and transfer to the cruise port. We are looking to arrive in Rome Sept 24th and then our cruise leaves the 26th. Are there any hotels that have a transfer from Rome to the cruise port? I read about a website called www.transferitalyrome.com , has anybody used them?. The train looks like a good option but I'm not sure how easy it is and we are travelling with somebody that cannot walk a long distance. Can anybody recommend any well priced hotels?

Thanks

I don't think the train in your case is a good option. Not only is it a long-ish walk from the train to the port, but the tracks for Civitavecchia are far away from the main part of Termini. And when you get to Civitavecchia, you may have to haul your bags down one set of stairs and up another since there is no elevator. If you're not all light packers, that could be an issue.

On top of that, if you have a person who can't do much walking, you will want to be centrally located in Rome, close to the Pantheon would be ideal. I would check Venere.com, and check the boxes that are Pantheon/Campo di Fiore/Piazza Navona area. That way you can stroll at your leisure and see most of the main sights easily. You might check Hotel Smeraldo or Hotel Navona. Hotels near the train station are going to be far away from the hub, and the area and restaurants are much nicer in the center.

For transport, by far the best option for you is to team up with other members of your roll call for a shared van to the port. We had lots of people setting that up on our last cruise, and we paid 25E/pp for transport from the port right to our hotel. More pricey than the train (which BTW is a great option if you don't have baggage) but worth it for the convenience.

I don't think the train in your case is a good option. Not only is it a long-ish walk from the train to the port, but the tracks for Civitavecchia are far away from the main part of Termini. And when you get to Civitavecchia, you may have to haul your bags down one set of stairs and up another since there is no elevator. If you're not all light packers, that could be an issue.

On top of that, if you have a person who can't do much walking, you will want to be centrally located in Rome, close to the Pantheon would be ideal. I would check Venere.com, and check the boxes that are Pantheon/Campo di Fiore/Piazza Navona area. That way you can stroll at your leisure and see most of the main sights easily. You might check Hotel Smeraldo or Hotel Navona. Hotels near the train station are going to be far away from the hub, and the area and restaurants are much nicer in the center.

For transport, by far the best option for you is to team up with other members of your roll call for a shared van to the port. We had lots of people setting that up on our last cruise, and we paid 25E/pp for transport from the port right to our hotel. More pricey than the train (which BTW is a great option if you don't have baggage) but worth it for the convenience.

i would agree. I have done the train once. Would do it again. However if I was traveling with someone who had issues walking long distances or carrying bags up or down stairs I would avoid the train.

I have stayed at several hotels in Rome. I am partial to the "Maison Giulia" it is a small hotel run but two brothers, very nice and centrally located close to may of the attractions in Rome. If you call or e-mail the hotel they may be able to arrange a car/van for your group. The last time I was on cruise out of Rome someone on the roll call had picked this hotel and arranged group transportation. More and more roll call members joined and by the time we were done I think we had 15 of us.

Edited by em-sk

em-sk

Hello, We are doing our first Med cruise Nov 2 Fantasia MSC. We are going to Rome first for 4 nights. DH studied there during college and has been back couple times, but my first.

We are trying to find very reasonable hotel in historic center? Have looked at Resideza Zenardelli among others. He would like to be near Pantheon if possible. I will look at Maison. Best way to get from airport to hotel. train?

Are you familiar with Romapass?

em-sk

Hello, We are doing our first Med cruise Nov 2 Fantasia MSC. We are going to Rome first for 4 nights. DH studied there during college and has been back couple times, but my first.

We are trying to find very reasonable hotel in historic center? Have looked at Resideza Zenardelli among others. He would like to be near Pantheon if possible. I will look at Maison. Best way to get from airport to hotel. train?

Are you familiar with Romapass?

For four nights, you may want to consider renting an apartment. There was a post not long ago that showed a very nice apartment that was very reasonable--I'm sure someone will chime in.

We stayed at Relais Largo Argentina--just six rooms on the second floor of a larger building but very nice, large® rooms, great baths, fantastic location 5 minutes from the Pantheon, but no lift. Look at Hotel Smeraldo as well.

Yes, look at Venere or Booking dot com (very informative reviews) and stay somewhere around the historic centre. September is now an extremely crowded month in Rome, so if you see a good deal grab it and book early if you can.

The most comfortable and most economical way is to book a transfer via RomeCabs. They are used to bring and pick up cruisers for years and most of us have found them here because of Cruise Critic. Their reputation is impeccable and it is really easy to organise a van to share with some roll callers. You can also use them for airport pick ups.