Best Caribbean ports/wheelchair use

planeteurope

A little more information will help. Can this person stand and walk at all?? Can they transfer to an automobile easily? Is their wheelchair a power wheelchair or manual (and if manual, a rigid frame chair or a folding chair)??

Are you looking at Western Caribbean or Eastern Caribbean cruises?

If the person can transfer to an automobile, you can use many taxis or private car tours in much of the Caribbean. Some ports have things to see within walking/wheeling distance, while others do not.

If the person cannot stand or walk at all, then tender ports will be a problem for most cruise lines, as most will not allow a person onto a tender under these circumstances. You may want to look at routes that have few if any tender ports.

A folding manual wheelchair is a plus for most shore trips as well, as power chair or scooter access may be limited by a lack of curb cuts and ramps. Knowing how to get a manual (not transport) chair up a curb or step (or two) is a valuable skill that people accompanying this person should master before going ashore at any port.

He can stand and transfer into an automobile but no walking. We are flexible in terms of where to go...anywhere in the Caribbean..just looking for places with ports that are easy to deal with. thank you!

• It would be best to select an itinerary with little to no tendered ports. In general unless the person is able to walk up/down a few steps and has a collapsible wheelchair than it's unlikely that he will be allowed to board unless the tender has roll-on capabilities.

• Shore Excursions : Generally speaking there will not be any wheelchair accessible buses available. So again if your father cannot walk/up down steps than doing a ship's excursions is probably not doable. If your father has a collapsible wheelchair than trying to locate private tours or just hire a taxi is the more doable option.

• As Splinter already noted more information would be helpful. Therefore it would probably be best to look at various cruise lines/itineraries and than post the ports of call that you are considering so as to get specific accessibility information for those ports. In general you have to expect that accessibility will be limited as ADA law only applies to the USA.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I also use a mobility scooter, and we are going to the Eastern Caribbean at the end of Feb, so I have been doing a bunch of research. Here are a few things I have found:

-On St. Thomas there is Dial-a-Ride-Taxi (306-776-1277). They specialize in transportation for people with disabilities, and have vehicles with wheelchair lifts. Best to book them ahead of time.

-Also on St. Thomas is Aqua Action Dive Center (http://www.aadivers.com/). They are a company that does scuba and snorkeling at Secret Harbour (http://www.secretharbourvi.com) and are certified to take people with disabilities. They use a beach wheelchair to get you to the water. There will be 9 of us going and I am the only one with mobility issues. I booked our group to snorkel with them, but they also have other equipment to rent like kayaks, paddle boards etc.

-We are going on a Carnival Cruise, and they have this excursion that might interest you

http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/434084

Good luck!

Donna

He can stand and transfer into an automobile but no walking. We are flexible in terms of where to go...anywhere in the Caribbean..just looking for places with ports that are easy to deal with. thank you!

I'm assuming that since he can stand and transfer, that he has a collapsable manual wheelchair. We cruise with my son that uses a manual/power chair, is able to transfer, but unable to walk. Surprisingly there are plenty of accessible places and things to do in the Caribbean ports.

As the last poster mentioned, we did snorkeling at Secret Harbour with "Aqua Action Dive Center" They are AMAZING!!!! and Secret harbour is beautiful. You can take a taxi there.

In St Maarten We went parasailing with No.1 SXM They were great too, they carried my 19 yr old onto the boat and got him all hooked up, he had a blast. We found St Maarten to be pretty accessible.

We have never had a problem getting on a tender, even in a power chair, I know some have so I guess its just a crap shoot. Having said that in Grand Caymen we did the dolphin encounter.

Some of the beach clubs in Cozumel have been good days for us.

We have also enjoyed Day Passes at some of the hotels. Marriott St Kitts was very nice.

We have done some day sails, touring the islands from the water, can sometimes be much easier than by land. They are usually very helpful with getting on the boats.

You really can find very accessible things to do, just have to do your homework. Some places are more accessible than others though for sure. Have a great trip!

• 1 month later...
Which beach clubs were good in Cozumel for wheel chair access? Going there next week, nothing booked yet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm in a motorized wheelchair and have been to Nachi CoCom and Paradise Beach. Both have nice walk ways, easy beach and pool access and very helpful to someone with no mobility at all.

The American ports comply with American handicapped rules. So Key West, San Juan and the American Virgin Islands will be more like what you are used to.

I think Eastern itinerary is best. St. Thomas. Across parking field is a butterfly museum. Quick, easy. Havensight Mall 3 aisles are accessible and Senor Frogs if hungry.

St. Martins. Go out gate by parking and make left. Flat sidewalk takes you to beach, about 3/4 mile. Make left for boardwalk. This is same spot water taxi takes those with access. If you continue on boardwalk, making right into alley, it takes you to real shopping street.

At end of St. Martin pier some shopping but much more in town.

Labadee ifbon your itinerary totally accessible.

Puerto Rico. Some hills, skinny sidewalks but fun.

Bermuda ...a favorite for accessible ferry and port. Vicki

• 1 month later...

I've done nearly 20 cruises with a scooter, and if you're doing the Caribbean with a scooter, it's the Eastern route hands down. There's a reason for this: The Western route is the one with all the culture. It's the one with the Mayan ruins and the Central American countries.

When people were building all those Mayan pyramids and digging the Panama Canal, political correctness was not on their minds. It just isn't as easy to putter around Costa Rica and Belize and Panama as it is to glide around St. Thomas and St. Martin.

Even Puerto Rico, because of its U.S. affiliation, has handicapped access on its streets so you can take scooters downtown. You're not going to find that in Central America. So though Central America is infinitely more interesting, the Eastern Caribbean is infinitely more accessible. Sigh. Life isn't fair.

Kathy

Butterfly Museum is no longer in parking lot of Havensight port as of 3/14. However there is a new Turkish Bazaar on the way to the shops. Interesting Turkish plates, rugs but high prices. Hope they last. Vicki

I have taken a collapsible manual wheelchair to the Caribbean and not had any problem at all with excursions. In St Lucia we did the tour with Cosol's and they ensured I even got in and out of the water taxi OK, which I didn't think I would manage.

In Antigua we did a trip with Lawrence of Antigua and he went off to find a little step for me to get into the mini bus more easily. In St Kitts we went with Liz Pereira Tours, but as it was a coach there was no problem. They were the tours I booked in advance after reading good reviews about them and they were all excellent, particularly the trip in St Lucia.

In the rest of the islands we just found a tour at the port and it was easy. Myself and OH don't go to beaches, so we like to see the places we visit. We don't see any point of sitting on a plane for 9 hours and not seeing anything of the destination when we get there.

Even though I have a mobility issue we manage to see plenty on all the cruises we take. It just needs research and planning and we don't do any overpriced ship's excursions.

• 9 months later...
I'm assuming that since he can stand and transfer, that he has a collapsable manual wheelchair. We cruise with my son that uses a manual/power chair, is able to transfer, but unable to walk. Surprisingly there are plenty of accessible places and things to do in the Caribbean ports.

As the last poster mentioned, we did snorkeling at Secret Harbour with "Aqua Action Dive Center" They are AMAZING!!!! and Secret harbour is beautiful. You can take a taxi there...

We've scheduled a snorkeling trip with Aqua Action Dive Center, for our next cruise. I was originally going to use Dial-a-Ride for transportation, but I have some concerns - Our ship will be docked from noon to seven, so I scheduled with Aqua Action from 1-5pm. Unfortunately, the Dial-A-Ride folks close at 5pm. You mentioned a taxi...I have a fold-up electric scooter that fits in the trunk of my Hyundai Sonata. Do you think a taxi could accommodate 2 people with my scooter in the trunk? And if so, how much should we expect to pay for a taxi?

Thanks!

We've scheduled a snorkeling trip with Aqua Action Dive Center, for our next cruise. I was originally going to use Dial-a-Ride for transportation, but I have some concerns - Our ship will be docked from noon to seven, so I scheduled with Aqua Action from 1-5pm. Unfortunately, the Dial-A-Ride folks close at 5pm. You mentioned a taxi...I have a fold-up electric scooter that fits in the trunk of my Hyundai Sonata. Do you think a taxi could accommodate 2 people with my scooter in the trunk? And if so, how much should we expect to pay for a taxi?

Thanks!

Yes I think that is absolutely doable. We just went to the taxi area with the hoards of others and told the guys in charge that we needed to go to Secret Harbor. He got a van for us, and my Son transferred into the front seat next to the driver, as its hard to get into the back for him, and they stored his chair right in the back. They do want to try to fill the van up before leaving. It took about 20 to 30 mins to get there with a few drop offs for other people to other places.

When ready to leave Secret Harbor, plan plenty of time to go to the hotel reception right there near the dive shop and they will call a taxi for you, unless you are maybe able to arrange with the taxi driver that dropped you off exactly when you want to be picked up and see if they are able to do that. Give yourself plenty of time to get back, as traffic was pretty bad when we where there. The cost I believe was around $10.00 pp each way, but don't hold me to that, its been a while.

The people at Aqua Action are amazing, and will do everything possible to make this a fun easy day for you. The restaurant next door was good, with good drinks.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Yes I think that is absolutely doable. We just went to the taxi area with the hoards of others and told the guys in charge that we needed to go to Secret Harbor. He got a van for us, and my Son transferred into the front seat next to the driver, as its hard to get into the back for him, and they stored his chair right in the back. They do want to try to fill the van up before leaving. It took about 20 to 30 mins to get there with a few drop offs for other people to other places.

When ready to leave Secret Harbor, plan plenty of time to go to the hotel reception right there near the dive shop and they will call a taxi for you, unless you are maybe able to arrange with the taxi driver that dropped you off exactly when you want to be picked up and see if they are able to do that. Give yourself plenty of time to get back, as traffic was pretty bad when we where there. The cost I believe was around $10.00 pp each way, but don't hold me to that, its been a while.

The people at Aqua Action are amazing, and will do everything possible to make this a fun easy day for you. The restaurant next door was good, with good drinks.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks Laura!

I just returned form a cruise on NCL Gem, went to San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten & Tortola. I am a full time wheelchair use, cannot walk at all and I am a big guy and have done this cruise 3 times before. San Juan is doable, very hilly and narrow sidewalks. In St Thomas I tried to get a cab to coral world ,I was asking for a car or low SUV so I could transfer, but no good (funny how I had no problem getting a taxi 2 years ago), so we decided to push into town along the road, half way there the sidewalk slowly narrows until there was one spot like a funnel where the opening is approx. 31-1/2" wide and my chair is 32". One good shove and I made it. So if you have a wide chair I would not recommend it and it is a 1.3 mile trek. In ST Maarten we also tried to get a taxi, they looked at us like we had 2 heads so I pushed to town again. Tortola is fixing there pier so it is a tender port. I received many letters in my room that said this is a tender port and you need to be able to get out of your chair and walk onto the tender and your chair cannot way more than 100 lbs. So a nice day on the ship.

I know I could have booked transportation ahead of time, but from what I read this is expensive so I gave it a shot to see if I could make something happen.

Also we had heavy seas going down & coming back to NYC. I am a very capable wheelchair user and at times it took all I had to keep from being a pinball around the ship and in the bathroom, one minute you are at the sink shaving and the next you are in the shower.

Just be prepared

• 3 years later...
On 2/22/2015 at 5:13 AM, QuickieGlenn said:

I just returned form a cruise on NCL Gem, went to San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten & Tortola. I am a full time wheelchair use, cannot walk at all and I am a big guy and have done this cruise 3 times before. San Juan is doable, very hilly and narrow sidewalks. In St Thomas I tried to get a cab to coral world ,I was asking for a car or low SUV so I could transfer, but no good (funny how I had no problem getting a taxi 2 years ago), so we decided to push into town along the road, half way there the sidewalk slowly narrows until there was one spot like a funnel where the opening is approx. 31-1/2" wide and my chair is 32". One good shove and I made it. So if you have a wide chair I would not recommend it and it is a 1.3 mile trek. In ST Maarten we also tried to get a taxi, they looked at us like we had 2 heads so I pushed to town again. Tortola is fixing there pier so it is a tender port. I received many letters in my room that said this is a tender port and you need to be able to get out of your chair and walk onto the tender and your chair cannot way more than 100 lbs. So a nice day on the ship.

I know I could have booked transportation ahead of time, but from what I read this is expensive so I gave it a shot to see if I could make something happen.

Also we had heavy seas going down & coming back to NYC. I am a very capable wheelchair user and at times it took all I had to keep from being a pinball around the ship and in the bathroom, one minute you are at the sink shaving and the next you are in the shower.

Just be prepared

I know this was written in 2015, but am hoping maybe you will see this.. 

Could you please share with me if you can get to the Fort in San Juan via wheelchair? I know there are some steps and gravel and uneven grass land, but just wondering if you can get to it to at least see it? Is it doable to go through Old Town as well with a wheelchair? I am trying to decide if we want to include San Juan for a port on our next cruise. My daughter is in a custom wheelchair, manual mode so I push her. We can't get through a lot, but just can't figure out this port. I have seen pics of the fort and the grounds look doable (just not the stairs). Oh and is the trolley w/c accessible there? 

Thank you so much. Happy Cruising! 

13 hours ago, shelly222 said:

I know this was written in 2015, but am hoping maybe you will see this.. 

Could you please share with me if you can get to the Fort in San Juan via wheelchair? I know there are some steps and gravel and uneven grass land, but just wondering if you can get to it to at least see it? Is it doable to go through Old Town as well with a wheelchair? I am trying to decide if we want to include San Juan for a port on our next cruise. My daughter is in a custom wheelchair, manual mode so I push her. We can't get through a lot, but just can't figure out this port. I have seen pics of the fort and the grounds look doable (just not the stairs). Oh and is the trolley w/c accessible there? 

Thank you so much. Happy Cruising! 

We went to the fort you see on the way into the port (I forget the name) the trolleys are handicapped accessible but we waited for a while and they were all too full. You can push to the fort, San Juan is hilly so they way up is a struggle, best way is to head to the Red Door in the wall and go thru it an keep left all the way up to the fort. Most of the fort you can get around but there are some really steep ramps, Greats views. In town on the way back there are some nice shops but beware of where the curb cut-outs are and if not they are extremely high, I bet 10-12 inches in some spots and they sidewalks can narrow and they place street sign posts so half way down and you cannot pass by.... Good Luck

4 minutes ago, QuickieGlenn said:

We went to the fort you see on the way into the port (I forget the name) the trolleys are handicapped accessible but we waited for a while and they were all too full. You can push to the fort, San Juan is hilly so they way up is a struggle, best way is to head to the Red Door in the wall and go thru it an keep left all the way up to the fort. Most of the fort you can get around but there are some really steep ramps, Greats views. In town on the way back there are some nice shops but beware of where the curb cut-outs are and if not they are extremely high, I bet 10-12 inches in some spots and they sidewalks can narrow and they place street sign posts so half way down and you cannot pass by.... Good Luck

Awesome! Thank you so much.. I really appreciate it - this helps a lot.