Cheap, quick and easy transport from Castries to Anse Chastanet?

IslandExplorer

I can see others have asked this before. However, the information available on this site and others is not clear.

Our cruise ship is going to land in Castries in St Lucia.

We want to snorkel at the best location, which seems to be Anse Chastanet. It's only 20 km or so from Castries. This is not a long distance.

I'm reading about difficult road conditions on St Lucia. I'm also reading a lot about tourist ripoffs (e.g. $160 taxi ride to travel 20 km.).

We want to take the quickest and cheapest transport possible from Castries to Anse Chastanet. We only have 8 hours or so on the island, so it has to be reliable.

What is the right way for a cruise passenger to get from the cruise port in Castries to the snorkeling beach at Anse Chastenet?

Many thanks in advance.

I'll check out Anse Cochons. Maybe that's the solution.

Can anyone suggest another great snorkel site within easy reach of the Castries cruise ship terminal? ...something without too much traffic and certainly with not too many other cruise ship passengers.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. In every cruise port in the Caribbean there is a way to beat the excursion ripoff prices and to enjoy the port at low cost. Any further suggestions are most welcome.

Many thanks.

Unfortunately, you are out of luck with regards to snorkeling near the port. There are no reefs within walking distance of the port, and the nearest reefs are to the north, around Pigeon Island and Smugglers Cove beach - which, as noted, is 30 minutes north and will cost about $35US for a taxi. There simply aren't any reefs around the port, or nearer.

Anse Cochon (Ti Kaye) is another option, as noted, and is about a $50Us taxi ride one way, or use their transport at $35US pp (assuming you use their day pass). The north of the island simply does not have many reefs - it is deep water and smooth entrances.

The reef systems starts about Anse Cochon and moves south through Soufriere and around the south end of the island. It is over an hour by land and is expensive to get to.

Perhaps you should look into other things to do - for $20, you are not going to get far from the port. The city of Castries has some historical/architectural items to explore including the Cathedral, Derek Walcott Square, Vigie lighthouse, etc. All free if you are willing to walk it!

I would suggest you check out the other islands on your cruise for snorkeling.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks reedprincess. I think we'll have to fork over $80 pp for Ti Kaye on this trip. It'll be the most we've ever spent at any cruise port. But still it seems like the right thing to do.

Our ship lets us off at 0900, but the boat picks people up at 0830. I'll contact them about that...