RCI's Evian water, just a thought to help sell more onboard?

I haven't been able to cruise the past six years, and so when I was purchasing treats for our cabin before last week's cruise I ordered wine & cheese, champagne, and a dozen bottles of Evian. I never even noticed when I placed the order as to the size of the Evian bottles, but when we walked into the cabin and saw a dozen 1 Liter bottles sitting there we had a good laugh as we knew there was NO way we could drink that much water on a shorter cruise (so we used the water to make tea each day in the cabin as well as to drink).

When we left our cabin at the end of the cruise there were still three bottles that hadn't been opened, and I hoped that RCI allowed them to be used for the next cruise. Anyway, my thoughts are that yes, I've not been able to cruise the past six years, but whether it was Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, HAL, or Disney, we could always purchase the 500ml bottles for our cabins, as well as when you're disembarking at each port of call, where a crew member asks you if you would like to purchase a bottle of water to drink while walking around each port, everyone in my family always grabbed a bottle and either stuck it in our purses or backpacks.

But now, on Royal, the only size bottles that are offered (in the cabins and when you're disembarking at a port, at least on the Enchantment in Nassau and Coco Cay), were the 1 liter bottles, and those are so very large that they won't fit in a woman's purse, and yes, I'm sure they could fit in a backpack (but they weigh a lot and take up so much room). I'm thinking that if RCI would offer both sizes of Evian for their passengers to purchase (whether for the cabins or when getting off the ship in each port), that RCI would most certainly sell more water? I didn't see many people buying the water when we got off at Nassau and Coco Cay, because the bottles were too heavy. I'm NOT complaining, I'm just offering a suggestion, so please do not be grumpy about my comments if you read my post? I'm trying to offer a positive suggestion that the passengers would like and that RCI could benefit from.

I haven't been able to cruise the past six years, and so when I was purchasing treats for our cabin before last week's cruise I ordered wine & cheese, champagne, and a dozen bottles of Evian. I never even noticed when I placed the order as to the size of the Evian bottles, but when we walked into the cabin and saw a dozen 1 Liter bottles sitting there we had a good laugh as we knew there was NO way we could drink that much water on a shorter cruise (so we used the water to make tea each day in the cabin as well as to drink).

When we left our cabin at the end of the cruise there were still three bottles that hadn't been opened, and I hoped that RCI allowed them to be used for the next cruise. Anyway, my thoughts are that yes, I've not been able to cruise the past six years, but whether it was Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, HAL, or Disney, we could always purchase the 500ml bottles for our cabins, as well as when you're disembarking at each port of call, where a crew member asks you if you would like to purchase a bottle of water to drink while walking around each port, everyone in my family always grabbed a bottle and either stuck it in our purses or backpacks.

But now, on Royal, the only size bottles that are offered (in the cabins and when you're disembarking at a port, at least on the Enchantment in Nassau and Coco Cay), were the 1 liter bottles, and those are so very large that they won't fit in a woman's purse, and yes, I'm sure they could fit in a backpack (but they weigh a lot and take up so much room). I'm thinking that if RCI would offer both sizes of Evian for their passengers to purchase (whether for the cabins or when getting off the ship in each port), that RCI would most certainly sell more water? I didn't see many people buying the water when we got off at Nassau and Coco Cay, because the bottles were too heavy. I'm NOT complaining, I'm just offering a suggestion, so please do not be grumpy about my comments if you read my post? I'm trying to offer a positive suggestion that the passengers would like and that RCI could benefit from.

On Senerade this past Dec we had 2 sizes of Evian water being sold in the bars. I will agree getting of the ship there was just the one size and it was Dasani, however with a bit of planning you could take the smaller one off.

Agree both sizes being available would be beneficial but then we seem so have so many Pax who seem to bring their own cases of water on board.

So, I for one have no problem with the ship's water and just pack a few empty sports bottles to fill for excursions. Not a big Evian fan (usually don't even use the free bottle left in the suite), but I don't see a reason why you couldn't bring smaller bottles and fill them as you wish. Not exactly rocket science.

So, I for one have no problem with the ship's water and just pack a few empty sports bottles to fill for excursions. Not a big Evian fan (usually don't even use the free bottle left in the suite), but I don't see a reason why you couldn't bring smaller bottles and fill them as you wish. Not exactly rocket science.

Honestly, the taste of the water coming out of the faucets in our two bathrooms wasn't wonderful (I know the ship uses reverse osmosis...or however it's spelled), but the drinking water made the tea taste bitter, and we wanted bottled water to carry off the ship and around the pool areas. We were told that the only liquids allowed to be carried onto the ship would be (2) 750ml bottles of wine, but no water, so we didn't even attempt to bring our own bottled water onto the ship. Maybe I'll try one of the personal Brita water filtered bottles for our RCI cruise this coming December?

Edited by tankwastheworldsbestdog
typo

This is a little off topic, but...

My DW uses Brita at home, and what ever bottle water is available elsewhere. I use tap at home, and beer elsewhere.:)

Seriously, have you ever noticed what Evian is if you spell it backward?

Naive :):)

I couldnt believe the size of the water bottles when we were on FOS!!!! :eek:

I didnt order it, but my sister did on her cruise and I gave her a heads up on the size.

I think it helps to know the size to help justify the price that is paid for the package

I'm thinking that if RCI would offer both sizes of Evian for their passengers to purchase (whether for the cabins or when getting off the ship in each port), that RCI would most certainly sell more water? I didn't see many people buying the water when we got off at Nassau and Coco Cay, because the bottles were too heavy.

Did people actually say this or did you just assume that was the reason? Personally, I don't buy Evian water because I don't LIKE Evian water. The size of the bottle doesn't really matter.

I like having the huge bottles. I don't like drinking the sink water unless its absolutely necessary, so it's nice to have the big bottles for a 7 day cruise. Between drinking alcohol and all the heavy sodium foods onboard, I need that big bottle! I like it for excursions, too. I throw it in my wife's beach bag or in my backpack.

Edited by kruzerci

I like the bigger bottles. We drink alot of water. Would rather drink Evian than soft drink. I was also happy to take them on shore excursions - one bottle was enough for three of us at ports. Easy to carry in my backpack.

Edited by aussielozzie18

We never had a problem drinking water in our stateroom either. UNTIL our last cruise on the Serenade of the Seas, December 2013. Our tap water, both at the sink and tub, was yellow. Yes, yellow. When we mentioned this to Customer Service we were told they were working on the pipes and to let the water run for 15 minutes. 15 minutes :confused:, really? Only think is one of our neighbors at that problem.

So whenever we wanted water we walked up one flight to the Windjammer and filled a couple of sports bottles just in case we got thirsty in the middle of the night.

Edited by lady_cruiser

Here's the really crazy part. I love both still (evian) and sparkling water (San Pellegrino). RCI has the large bottles of both available. However, the still water has a screw cap, but the sparkling water has a bottle cap that cannot be resealed. So, the one that can lose carbonation cannot be closed back up, but the one with no carbonation can be closed up tight!:rolleyes:

Here's the really crazy part. I love both still (evian) and sparkling water (San Pellegrino). RCI has the large bottles of both available. However, the still water has a screw cap, but the sparkling water has a bottle cap that cannot be resealed. So, the one that can lose carbonation cannot be closed back up, but the one with no carbonation can be closed up tight!:rolleyes:

Do you happen to remember the cost of a large bottle of San Pellegrino?

Do you happen to remember the cost of a large bottle of San Pellegrino?

I don't I'm sorry. I enjoyed it with dinner in 150 Central Park the first night and asked the waiter to send some to my stateroom. He was happy to do so, and when I returned later that night I had 5 bottles waiting for me. Never looked at my bill to see how much they were!

Hi

I don't sail RCI but this thread caught my attention.

I live opposite Evian town where the water is bottled. It is located in the foothills of the French alps and many ski resorts are located in the catchment area of the water.

Many of the toilets in the ski resorts empty directly into the ground as sewage systems are extremely expensive to install in the resorts.

Think about it........

Although I'm sure they do their best.

Hi

I live opposite Evian town where the water is bottled. It is located in the foothills of the French alps and many ski resorts are located in the catchment area of the water.

Many of the toilets in the ski resorts empty directly into the ground as sewage systems are extremely expensive to install in the resorts.

Think about it........

What a silly bit of misleading commentary. Do you really think they're bottling sewage and shipping it around the world?

Why the eye roll? Seems like one would write SAN PELLEGRINO and ask why they don't package THEIR product with a resealable cap.

Why the eye roll? Seems like one would write SAN PELLEGRINO and ask why they don't package THEIR product with a resealable cap.

I didn't realize the eyeroll was so offensive. San Pellegrino manufacturers it both ways. Honestly, it was just a humorous observation. The large bottles of San Pellegrino aren't typically available for purchase outside of dining venues. So they probably have the cap bottles because they use them during a meal service and easily use the whole bottle. Servers prefer the cap to the screw top because it's quicker. But obviously it's not so good for longer storage.

I just though it was funny as I sat there in my room with the still water tightly sealed and the sparkling water unsealable.

Sorry if you somehow took offense to my humorous observation! :D

Wait, is a big green smiley okay, or will that too draw your ire? ;)

Hi

Think about it........

Aside from whatever issues there.may or may not be with the "freshness" of bottled water (for instance, Poland springs comes out of the tap in Maine at the Poland Springs plant, Disani is bottled at wherever the local bottler is located) but don't they have laws governing sewage treatment in Switzerland?

This is not a developing nation. Most countries have laws regulating sewage, and even of its "expensive", arent resorts being developed required to have up to date plumbing, planning boards, inspections, permits and all that sort of thing? I haven't been, but my understanding is Switzerland is a fairly well developed and regulated place. Even in the most rural of places in the US, you really cannot just dump raw sewage into the ground, (individuals may be, but they are in violation, and just havent been caught) especially if one is hoping to build or run a profit making enterprise like a resort. I was always under the impression that northern Europe was so far ahead of the US with environmental regulations.:confused:

Edited by Familygoboston

Aside from whatever issues there.may or may not be with the "freshness" of bottled water (for instance, Poland springs comes out of the tap in Maine at the Poland Springs plant, Disani is bottled at wherever the local bottler is located) but don't they have laws governing sewage treatment in Switzerland?

This is not a developing nation. Most countries have laws regulating sewage, and even of its "expensive", arent resorts being developed required to have up to date plumbing, planning boards, inspections, permits and all that sort of thing? I haven't been, but my understanding is Switzerland is a fairly well developed and regulated place. Even in the most rural of places in the US, you really cannot just dump raw sewage into the ground, (individuals may be, but they are in violation, and just havent been caught) especially if one is hoping to build or run a profit making enterprise like a resort. I was always under the impression that northern Europe was so far ahead of the US with environmental regulations.:confused:

Yes, Switzerland is extremely tightly regulated. Evian though is in France.

I am jesting a bit, ;)

France does monitor quality extremely closely as well, particularly after the Perrier incident a few years ago. But I just cant get out of my mind the 'holes in the ground' toilets I have seen in France, and the skiers who need to relieve themselves at the site of the pistes :eek:.

I will say that all bottled water, 'town' or mineral is of good quality, and I would actually say it's safer now than it has been for years.

I do jest slightly as I work for Evians biggest competitor :)

What a silly bit of misleading commentary. Do you really think they're bottling sewage and shipping it around the world?

I didnt actually say they were shipping sewage around, however it is true that the toilets in the mountains empty directly into the ground, there is nothing misleading about that.

See my further post.

I didnt actually say they were shipping sewage around, however it is true that the toilets in the mountains empty directly into the ground, there is nothing misleading about that.

So you weren't saying it to make anyone give pause as to the quality of the water? Then what was the point of saying it?

I didn't realize the eyeroll was so offensive. San Pellegrino manufacturers it both ways. Honestly, it was just a humorous observation. The large bottles of San Pellegrino aren't typically available for purchase outside of dining venues. So they probably have the cap bottles because they use them during a meal service and easily use the whole bottle. Servers prefer the cap to the screw top because it's quicker. But obviously it's not so good for longer storage.

I just though it was funny as I sat there in my room with the still water tightly sealed and the sparkling water unsealable.

Sorry if you somehow took offense to my humorous observation! :D

Wait, is a big green smiley okay, or will that too draw your ire? ;)

In my mind, the eyeroll carries more of a 'duh' tone. And since the topic of the thread is about a change that RCI could make, I read your post with that topic in mind. So I'm thinking "well, what can RCI do about THAT? They don't package the water, they just sell it." LOL!!!