Beverage package, is it worth it?

molly5673

[quote name='Charmdmsure']Premium coffees yes, but be aware it DOES NOT include Starbucks. We spent a lot of $ during our last cruise on specialty coffees at the coffee shop. The coffees included in your package are coffees from the bars, not Starbucks. Which means the Premium package isn't as attractive to us.[/quote]

Thank you!! That's the answer I've been looking all over for! Premium coffee to me is Starbucks - obviously to RCCL it isn't.

Thanks - think we will just purchase a wine package and pay per drink for coffee and cocktails.

I think we'll probably also try and buy a case of water and bring it on so that we have bottled water as well.

Thanks for the info!!

[quote name='DrD']Are you sure about this?

If so that is a hugely important piece of info.

Like many I'm on the fence about the package because I'm not sure I'll drink enough to make it worthwhile.

If as you say I can cancel and simply pay for the drinks I've had, that removes any risk of not getting my money's worth. It seems like then you could buy package and at end of cruise if you didn't drink that much you could cancel and be no worse of than if you never bought package.

Seems too good to be true.[/quote]

[quote name='Cd24747']I am also curious. That is true that if you end up not drinking that much you can just get a refund and be charged for what you did drink.
You'd probably have to keep track on your own though.[/quote]

[quote name='clarea']I would confirm this on board, from the Beverage Manager, before you purchase. Seems to good to be true to me too.[/quote]

According to the RCCL website you can cancel and then pay for what is consumed. I do doubt that they would let you wait until the end of the cruise and figure out what way is cheaper for you though. I've never done it though so I can't be sure! I did read a review though where the person said they cancelled the drink package somewhere towards the beginning of the cruise (I can't remember exactly what day) and they had no problem doing so and they were just charged for the drinks they had already ordered.

[url]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=3651&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqType=faq[/url]

[url]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=3652[/url] Edited by readytolose

[quote name='readytolose']According to the RCCL website you can cancel and then pay for what is consumed. I do doubt that they would let you wait until the end of the cruise and figure out what way is cheaper for you though. I've never done it though so I can't be sure! I did read a review though where the person said they cancelled the drink package somewhere towards the beginning of the cruise (I can't remember exactly what day) and they had no problem doing so and they were just charged for the drinks they had already ordered.

[url]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=3651&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqType=faq[/url]

[url]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=3652[/url][/QUOTE]

Wow! Seems to be true. They don't give any time limit either. So theoretically one could buy package at no risk.

As I said earlier that is a game-changer and probably more people should know about it. Thanks for posting that.

I still wonder if that is old info that hasn't been updated for new packages. Otherwise it just seems to good to be true. Or maybe they're counting on people not knowing. Pretty good bet. Edited by DrD

[quote name='SConnolly']Sounds like a good plan, however the premium package lets you chose other wines up to $12 beside the house, so let hubby expand his palate and enjoy.

:-)[/quote]

We are thinking about getting the beverage package but I am concerned about what is considered a "premium wine." Is a list available to review? Thanks in advance.

We are thinking about getting the beverage package but I am concerned about what is considered a "premium wine." Is a list available to review? Thanks in advance.

There's no list of premium wine. The Premium package includes any wine that is $12 or less.

There are some wines listed in this link:

http://cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink/

Edited by clarea

Here are 2 questions that I have not found the answer to on the many various drink package threads. One, I know that the beers with an asterisk on the drink menus are not included in any of the packages, but what about the beer cocktails? It's confusing because Guinness is not included, but some of the beer cocktails include Guinness and none of them have the aforementioned asterisk attached on the menu.

Two, can packages be upgraded? On our upcoming 6 day Indy cruise, could we start off with the Replenish package for days 1 & 2 and then upgrade to the Premium package for the last 4 days of the cruise, The reason I am inquiring is because we're on our first B2B and after having our included drinks package on the Silhouette for 7 days, I wish to take a two day break from alcohol before finishing strong. I realize that I could always just wait and get the premium package for the last 4 days of our Indy cruise, but it would be nice to continue having a package and I would like to partake in the Royal Replenish items for two days instead of having to buy things individually.

Two, can packages be upgraded? On our upcoming 6 day Indy cruise, could we start off with the Replenish package for days 1 & 2 and then upgrade to the Premium package for the last 4 days of the cruise, The reason I am inquiring is because we're on our first B2B and after having our included drinks package on the Silhouette for 7 days, I wish to take a two day break from alcohol before finishing strong. I realize that I could always just wait and get the premium package for the last 4 days of our Indy cruise, but it would be nice to continue having a package and I would like to partake in the Royal Replenish items for two days instead of having to buy things individually.

I too am interested in this but haven't yet seen anyone post that they've tried it; we are doing a TA in November and the first couple of days could be rocky. If it gets bad I get terrible sea sickness, which whilst doesn't put me off cruising, will def put me off alcohol! Once the sea is calm I would want the alcohol package, so I'd be interested to know if this was possible. Thanks!

Good questions............

I too am on a B2B Allure, Jan 26..........The first week we have the Prem Beverage package....the next week not yet....MAy want to purchase last 4 days too...

Added Question.....How long will that soda cup last....Will the Chip work for the second leg even though the Package was n0t purchased?

Thanks

There's no list of premium wine. The Premium package includes any wine that is $12 or less.

There are some wines listed in this link:

http://cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink/

Do you know if this is new? In October we had a choice of house red or house white and that was it with the premium package.

We are not big drinkers, but to us the package was totally worth it, just in terms of convenience and the ability to try new things (and this was on a port intensive cruise). Will definitely get again on our next cruise.

Do you know if this is new? In October we had a choice of house red or house white and that was it with the premium package.

We are not big drinkers, but to us the package was totally worth it, just in terms of convenience and the ability to try new things (and this was on a port intensive cruise). Will definitely get again on our next cruise.

Yes, the packages went through a major change in Nov 2013. The Premium package now includes any wine $12 or less. You are no longer limited to house wine. Here's a flyer with the new packages:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/en_US/pdf/beverage_packages.pdf

Edited by clarea

If you get the premium package it's 385 for the week, so let's say u have at least six 10 dollar drinks everyday it's worth it.

I haven't had a drink in over a year now so for me it wouldn't be worth it, but I will be getting the pop package since the grandeur has the freestyle machines.

The answer is - my last 7 day cruise, my booze bill was about $405.00. The package cost $385.00 for 7 days. So I will save money. My wife does not drink, but gets the soda package.

Now the package will include water, soda and booze. So, the package will give me all the bottled water I want, plus all the soda I want on top of trying out some new drinks!!!

It's worth it, but you also need to know what you spending and drinking habits are, and make you judgement. It also helps, if you had previous experience, and sit down and do the math.

Thanks for all the aswers!!!

I find it very strange and am bummed that they don't have any Zero product onboard.

Have to figure out what my husband will drink for 19 days....

They have zero products in cans for individual purchase and as part of the packages on ships with a Freestyle machine.

Thanks for all of those wonderful people! I was watching this thread and had exact same questions like some did! Very helpful!

Which means, DH may will purchase one of the package and I will have his soda package along with wine on our next cruise :D

They have zero products in cans for individual purchase and as part of the packages on ships with a Freestyle machine.

This info helps already!!!

We are on the Radiance so no freestyle coke machines for us i understood earlier.

Thanks again!!!

Before October we wouldn't have given the Premium package a 2nd thought because I'm not a big enough drinker to make it worthwhile for me. But now that just my husband can get the package, he may decide to try it. He likes the option of being able to cancel several days in if he finds it's not worth it. But, my thought is that in addition to charging you for each drink you've had, they will probably also charge the $6.50 per day for each day for the soda package.

His big question was, is he limited to how often he can get a drink? Is it limited so that he has to wait an hour between drinks, or, if he goes through one quickly, would he be able to get another in perhaps 15 minutes time?

May have to find out on board looks like I could break even gone for select package so will miss the top shelf last orders will let you know on this Saturday if can find free wifi got to be savy this time of life,cheers Dr d

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

His big question was, is he limited to how often he can get a drink? Is it limited so that he has to wait an hour between drinks, or, if he goes through one quickly, would he be able to get another in perhaps 15 minutes time?

I believe that it is 5 minutes in between orders and you can't order two at a time, unless you get to know a bartender real well and introduce him to some US government paper. You may want to have a shot and a beer and they would have to be keyed into the system 5 minutes apart, not at the same time. You can also order a beer and not have the cap taken off if you wish to take it back to your cabin to consume later.

Before October we wouldn't have given the Premium package a 2nd thought because I'm not a big enough drinker to make it worthwhile for me. But now that just my husband can get the package, he may decide to try it. He likes the option of being able to cancel several days in if he finds it's not worth it. But, my thought is that in addition to charging you for each drink you've had, they will probably also charge the $6.50 per day for each day for the soda package.

May have to find out on board looks like I could break even gone for select package so will miss the top shelf last orders will let you know on this Saturday if can find free wifi got to be savy this time of life,cheers Dr d

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is not a specific, written rule about how long you must wait in between drinks, but the experience on ships seems to run about 10-15 minutes. You cannot get two drinks at a time unless you present two SeaPasses with the stickers on them.