Beverage package, is it worth it?

molly5673

I've seen other posts on this where people said that it was 20 minutes between drinks and that they swipe your seapass. Anyone have a solid answer?

There is a minimum time period between uses of the Freestyle machine for soda, but so far nothing for alcoholic drinks.

For me, it was not worth it. I got the soda package and I was drinking all the time to try and recoup my investment, so to speak. I did not get a soda package on my second cruise and I was fine. I drank lemonade or water or milk. I think it's a waste of money.

Edited by moposh

For me, it was not worth it. I got the soda package and I was drinking all the time to try and recoup my investment, so to speak. I did not get a soda package on my second cruise and I was fine. I drank lemonade or water or milk. I think it's a waste of money.

I feel like there are three groups who buy it:

1) those of us who know we're going to come out ahead

2) those of us who will try to beat the system/"get their money's worth"

3) those of us who just want to pay once and be done

I have been trying to decide whether to buy the beverage package, but have decided that since we are going to be off the ship most of the time, with only a single sea day, I will be doing most of my drinking off the ship, not on the ship so it doesn't seem worth the cost for any of the packages. I think if I want a beverage evenings onboard, it will be less expensive to just pay by the drink. How much are the cocktails anyhow? Do they have the special drinks of the day; I do remember these being offered on some cruise lines, but it's been awhile since we've been on a cruise and we've never been on RCCL before.

My son and I got the soda package and I think that was worth it for us, but as far as the Alcohol Package? We dont really drink, so we didnt get it.

BUT:eek: When the waiters come by with a tray of those BEAUTIFUL drinks and it is hot? You will be tempted. I believe, they were 8.00 with alcohol, so you can do your own math. Without alcohol, maybe 6.00? If I remember correctly.

My DH and I will be both getting the premium package on our upcoming oasis cruise. I know we will either break even or come close either way so for us it's great to pay once and be done and not to think about it once onboard. We also will not be setting foot off the ship all week so we figure the money we won't be spending on shore excursions that will be put towards the packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've seen other posts on this where people said that it was 20 minutes between drinks and that they swipe your seapass. Anyone have a solid answer?

I walked from bar to bar and had the package. No problem getting a drink at each bar even with another drink already in my hand. Even stayed at one bar and before I finished my drink the bartender would ask if I wanted another.

My DH and I will be both getting the premium package on our upcoming oasis cruise. I know we will either break even or come close either way so for us it's great to pay once and be done and not to think about it once onboard. We also will not be setting foot off the ship all week so we figure the money we won't be spending on shore excursions that will be put towards the packages.

It's worth it, trust me! You can even try drinks you've never tried before and if you don't like them it's play since it's paid for. My next cruise I'm literally gonna go through the bar menu and start choosing new drinks to try. I don't waste much but if I don't really like the drink it's not a big deal.

I did the royal replenish - I am not sure I broke even or not but it is nice to not worry about it. I think the answer comes down to how much you drink and what you drink. So the correct answer depends on you. For a guide line figure $5 avg for no alcoholic drinks (note this is a high estimate but close enough). For beer use 7.50, mixed drinks and fruity drinks use $10.

For me I figured I would at least have 4 non alcoholic drinks a day so $20 a day seemed ok - in retrospect if it was not for the lattes and cappuccinos it would not of been worth it - I got fewer beverages the I assumed.

I did the royal replenish - I am not sure I broke even or not but it is nice to not worry about it. I think the answer comes down to how much you drink and what you drink. So the correct answer depends on you. For a guide line figure $5 avg for no alcoholic drinks (note this is a high estimate but close enough). For beer use 7.50, mixed drinks and fruity drinks use $10.

For me I figured I would at least have 4 non alcoholic drinks a day so $20 a day seemed ok - in retrospect if it was not for the lattes and cappuccinos it would not of been worth it - I got fewer beverages the I assumed.

Does the replenish package include hot chocolate, mochas and the Oreo drink in the bar menu?

We're definitely getting the package on our upcoming cruise. We did for our Mediterranean cruise, and even with being off the ship most of the day, we still felt like we got our money's worth. Plus it was nice to have everything pre-paid, and have zero bar bill at the end of 2 weeks. Our next cruise is a 7 day Caribbean with 3 sea days, with a very large group of awesome friends, no question we will come out ahead.

Neither of us drink coffee, so we don't care about the coffee drinks. Hubby is very selective in what he drinks, and he doesn't like milk or fruit punch or iced tea or fake lemonade. So water & soda are pretty much his go-tos, and he loves the Freestyle machines. He also likes really good beer and good vodka.

For me, I like wine & beer & mixed drinks and soda. On top of that, I drink a gallon of water a day - having Dasani flavors in the Freestyle machine makes me very, very happy.

So I'd recommend going through the drinks menus and determining what you're likely to have on an average day. Include fresh-squeezed juices, coffees, water, etc. Add it all up, and add the 15% gratuity, then determine if it is worth it for you.

Or decide if being able to pre-pay it and have it all paid for before you even set foot on the ship makes it worth it, even if the cruise line comes out a little ahead.

No brainer for how we cruise. :) YMMV.

I know there are a million posts about this but I can't seem to get a clear answer.

If you are asking the question, it will probably be worthwhile to get the package. I had it (Premium) on a 4 night earlier this month and it ended up being a steal for me. I like drinking scotch so those add up REAL quick.

It is amazing how quickly you can get to 55 bucks including gratuities. the best part is not having to wonder about your bill at the end. To me that was worth 10 dollars a day right there :)

Ok this is very relevant to me. I drink scotch and whiskey exclusively are there bottles on the menu that I would want to drink? I agree that $50 a day is likely a mega steal for any kind of booze on a cruise but before I throw down $200 on a four day bender it would be lovely to know it's not gonna be a week of "Clan McGregor and White Horse" in my glass lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I feel like there are three groups who buy it:

1) those of us who know we're going to come out ahead

2) those of us who will try to beat the system/"get their money's worth"

3) those of us who just want to pay once and be done

You forgot the largest fourth group.....those of us that don't drink lemonade, water or milk and wish to consume adult beverages. ;)

Ok this is very relevant to me. I drink scotch and whiskey exclusively are there bottles on the menu that I would want to drink? I agree that $50 a day is likely a mega steal for any kind of booze on a cruise but before I throw down $200 on a four day bender it would be lovely to know it's not gonna be a week of "Clan McGregor and White Horse" in my glass lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

12 year Scotchs include: Balvenie, Chivas Regal, Dewar's, Glenfiddich and Glen Livet. There is also Johnnie Walker Black, Gold and Blue. Whiskey wise there is Crown Royal and at least 6 different bourbons. The ceiling is 10.00 per drink, but you will only pay the difference if you wish to drink JW Blue, which is way above 10.00. There have been mixed reports on the boards about only paying the difference, so I would recommend printing it off of the website under the FAQ section.

I've read all the replies and there are a lot of answers here! Thanks.

My online check in info says I have till feb 5 (for my feb 10 cruise on the Liberty) to purchase. That had given me the impression that I could only pre but the premium package. We had some question of worth also, but decided to do it for the opportunity to try new drinks, and the up graded wine, although there don't seem to be many in the $12 category. Most are $9 and then I assume many are above.

The coffee and water were a value also, especially if we can take it off ship. Our cruise includes Labadee, so if the package is valid there, all the better.

We do seem to gravitate toward the premium choices at Starbucks, so it will be interesting to see how well we do with the 'premium coffees' at the bars.

We have an onboard credit, so I would like to use it toward our drink packages. But if they are more money after you board, that would just be silly. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks, Char

I've read all the replies and there are a lot of answers here! Thanks.

My online check in info says I have till feb 5 (for my feb 10 cruise on the Liberty) to purchase. That had given me the impression that I could only pre but the premium package. We had some question of worth also, but decided to do it for the opportunity to try new drinks, and the up graded wine, although there don't seem to be many in the $12 category. Most are $9 and then I assume many are above.

The coffee and water were a value also, especially if we can take it off ship. Our cruise includes Labadee, so if the package is valid there, all the better.

We do seem to gravitate toward the premium choices at Starbucks, so it will be interesting to see how well we do with the 'premium coffees' at the bars.

We have an onboard credit, so I would like to use it toward our drink packages. But if they are more money after you board, that would just be silly. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks, Char

The packages are the same price online and onboard.

When the website mentions a time limit to purchase, what they should say is the time limit applies only to online purchases and that you will still be able to purchase onboard.

Hmmm. My cruise planner for Liberty Of the Seas ( sailing in 21 days ) tell me I have to purchase the package by 2/6. 4 days prior to sailing.

Correct. That is the dealline for pre-cruise purchases. After that you have to make the purchace on board.