Undecided- Cozumel Bar Hop or Carnival's Mexican Cuisine Cooking/Tasting

Jimmy Jams

Hi everybody, I am looking to get a little input on what I should be doing in Cozumel. I know the 2 excursions I posted are very far from similar, so bare with me.

I am going on my first solo cruise I in Feb. I enjoy cooking and think I would really like the Mexican Cuisine Cooking/Tasting excursion that Carnival offers, but since I am going to be by myself, would that take away from the experience? It seems like this excursion would generally be better for groups of people to go together, so a few questions I have are:

1. Would I be likely to be the only solo on this one?

2. Assuming there are other solos, would I be paired up with them for the cooking or would it be more likely to go at it alone?

3. Are the staff chefs pretty good with helping everybody out? While I enjoy cooking, I am by no means an expert.

My other option choice, which is far different is the Bar Hop. This one is pretty self explanatory and should work fine for a solo I would imagine based on the reviews I have read.

So, I have two options here, but looking for a little feedback from anyone in the know before I make a decision.

Thanks!

Here are my answers to your questions; hope they help.

You might be. I myself did a cooking class excursion during my solo cruise. The excursion group consisted mostly of couples. There was one mother/daughter pair (the kid was about 12), a group of three friends (all women), but no other solos. I stuck out a little bit, especially considering that I'm a dude. But honestly, no one was pointing any proverbial pitchforks at me. Quite the opposite, every person I talked to was very friendly toward me; I ended up having some great conversations.

2. Assuming there are other solos, would I be paired up with them for the cooking or would it be more likely to go at it alone?

The workstations are designed for one to two people, and each person or couple gets their own. I was "adopted" by one couple, so I didn't have to be by myself. They turned out to be fun to work with, and I ran into them multiple times later during the cruise. Instructors don't usually assign people; this isn't school. But it's all matter of "Hi, can I join you?" Even if the first people you ask say no, there will generally be someone who will invite you. Other solos are your best bet, but don't rule out non-solos, either.

3. Are the staff chefs pretty good with helping everybody out? While I enjoy cooking, I am by no means an expert.

Definitely yes. Instructors/chefs know they're dealing with newbies, especially considering that they teach you to cook dishes most Americans aren't familiar with. If you're having trouble, all you gotta do is ask them for help. You're a paying customer, so the odds of them saying no are practically nonexistent.

If being by yourself at a cooking workstation puts you off or intimidates you, then do the Cozumel Bar Hop and be done with it. But my experience was a very positive one. It was in Freeport, not Cozumel, but excursion cooking classes gotta be pretty similar. (I have not done any bar crawl excursions, so I can't comment on your other choice.)

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

If being by yourself at a cooking workstation puts you off or intimidates you, then do the Cozumel Bar Hop and be done with it. But my experience was a very positive one. It was in Freeport, not Cozumel, but excursion cooking classes gotta be pretty similar. (I have not done any bar crawl excursions, so I can't comment on your other choice.)

Thanks for the detailed responses. I think I will suck it up and just try to fit in... Hopefully there may be some other solos there.

Edited by Jimmy Jams

Hi, not sure if it is the same excursion but I did the cooking class

in Cozumel years ago. It was ALOT OF FUN:).....and as for sticking

out like a sore thumb? I can't remember If I was the only solo cruiser

or not but most folks really don't care if you are sailing by yourself.

Most cruisers are very friendly and I have been on tons of excursions

on my own......depending on the tour? It can be a nice way to meet

other cruisers from your particular sailing. Go and have fun:D

Hi everybody, I am looking to get a little input on what I should be doing in Cozumel. I know the 2 excursions I posted are very far from similar, so bare with me.

I am going on my first solo cruise I in Feb. I enjoy cooking and think I would really like the Mexican Cuisine Cooking/Tasting excursion that Carnival offers, but since I am going to be by myself, would that take away from the experience? It seems like this excursion would generally be better for groups of people to go together, so a few questions I have are:

My other option choice, which is far different is the Bar Hop. This one is pretty self explanatory and should work fine for a solo I would imagine based on the reviews I have read.

So, I have two options here, but looking for a little feedback from anyone in the know before I make a decision.

Thanks!

My last trip to Barcelona, I took two different cooking classes. It never occurred to me that this might not be a good thing for a solo. I had a GREAT time both times. The chefs were each wonderful in their own wayand spent plenty of time with me. I am NOT a great cook but I thoroughly enjoyed each class - it was two different companies.

If it's a hands-on class, everyone should be busy at their own workstations working on whatever assignment the chef gives to them. I'm sure they will be friendly to you, but they probably won't think much at all that you are by yourself. People tend to be friendly anyway and most of these classes offer wine while you are working so that will loosen things up even more.

If the class is something that you think you would enjoy, do it. Bar hops are easy excursions to find. Do something a little different this time. :cool:

Looks like we all like different things.....(thankfully).

Personally, I thought the cooking class was terrific:)

Different strokes for different folks:)

I say the bar hop!

I was solo on the Cozumel bar hop. But I was in the mind set of having fun regardless!

There was about 20 of us with a hostess and driver.

By the third stop, most of us were enjoying ourselves and sat at either at large tables,the bar or tables group together. The group that I was with was welcoming and we had a blast.

By the last stop, everyone was very happy :D:D!

I have to warn you that the Playa Bonita drink was STRONG :D!

But besides the drinking, we had a great time. At the first bar, the beach is where turtles were hatching and we all got a chance to assist the newborns into the water. At another stop, a man made all the ladies grasshoppers that were so cute. The shrimp at the Rasta bar was great and the nachos at Playa Bonita was huge and fed quite a few of us.

It was great for photo ops because the crowds are not as large on this side of the island.

Overall, I would do it again in a heartbeat. We had two couple who didn't drink and they had a great time.

The only downside of it Carnival didn't make any more money off of me from my fave drinks because that was enough with the hop.

I spent under $50, not including tips. Each bar had specials on some drinks and I brought two drinks at two of the bars and enjoyed the shots at the others. I also purchased food at one bar and gave some money to the guy who brought the table nachos.

If I can, I will post the photos for you. But I don't have photobucket and see if I can another way.

Thanks for the photos! That side of the island looks so much more ocean like... a lot like the some of the Marshall Islands I have been to. Seems like both choices are winners... decisions decisions!