Disembarkation times

sunnycoast56

Hi guys. I'm a newbee, so please be patient with me as I am not very computer savvy. Could I get some advise as to how long it takes for disembarkation in Manhattan. We're scheduled to arrive at 10am and were planning on booking on the 2pm train to Washington or would this be too early. My apologies. The cruise ship is the Norwegian Gem and yes if required we can carry our own luggage

sunnycoast56

Edited by sunnycoast56
grammar missed information

Whether you can carry off ALL your own luggage will matter to the answer.

Also what cruise line you're on.

As far as the timing and logistics in NYC, I leave to someone else to answer, just thought I would mention some information that person will need.

Do you have to book the train ahead of time? I've just gone to the station and bought a ticket then got on the train. Do you leave from Penn Station or Grand Central?

When ships get in at 8am they say don't book flights before 12. That's four hours so you should be ok. However, you can never be sure that's what time you can debark. They may get to the port at 10am but you can't get off then, so it could be 10:30 or even later before you can leave the ship.

If you are going to Washington DC, you will be taking the train from Penn Station. You can, but don't have to purchase tickets in advance. You might save some $$$ however, if you do book in advance. Google "Amtrack", and follow the prompts. It's only about 10-minutes from the NY cruise terminal to Penn station and about $10-$15. You should be fine time wise, but just to give yourself plenty of padding, I'd do the self walk off. When we've returned to NY from a cruise, we do NOT do the self walk off, we're and hr and 1/2 ride from the terminal and we've been back and in our house before 2PM. Trains are not quite like planes, so if you get to Penn well early enough, there may be an earlier train you can take and if you're running late for some reason, one later if need be.

My guess is that disembarkation will start at least an hour after arrival. If you can carry all your luggage off yourself you can usually go first. Disembarkation order will be based on the onward travel you have scheduled. A form will be provided to fill in a few days before the end of the cruise.