summit newbie - advice about first day on board

cruisedancemom

DH and I are REALLY looking forward to our first cruise on the Summit - July 6 out of Bayonne to Bermuda.

I'm a major planner and am already wondering about a couple of things related to our first day on the ship.

1. When do we get to go to our cabin, and when does our luggage get there?

2. Should we pack a carry on bag so we can change into bathing suits if we want to go to the pool?

3. Where's a good place to have lunch that day?

4. Where's the best place to be during sail away, and what time should we get there?

3. What's a good time to have dinner that night based on the time we will have to go to the muster drill?

Also, we are in Aqua class and I understand all about Blu being our dining room - but are there any special nights in the MDR (besides formal nights) that are really fun and DH and I wouldn't want to miss - so that I know to go to Select Dining that night?

Thanks!!!

DH and I are REALLY looking forward to our first cruise on the Summit - July 6 out of Bayonne to Bermuda.

I'm a major planner and am already wondering about a couple of things related to our first day on the ship.

2. Should we pack a carry on bag so we can change into bathing suits if we want to go to the pool?

4. Where's the best place to be during sail away, and what time should we get there?

3. What's a good time to have dinner that night based on the time we will have to go to the muster drill?

Also, we are in Aqua class and I understand all about Blu being our dining room - but are there any special nights in the MDR (besides formal nights) that are really fun and DH and I wouldn't want to miss - so that I know to go to Select Dining that night?

Thanks!!!

1. When do we get to go to our cabin, and when does our luggage get there? -- it really depends, sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's not. We didn't get ours until after dinner (like 9pm) on the Summit last time, but we had a delayed boarding.

2. Should we pack a carry on bag so we can change into bathing suits if we want to go to the pool? - Yes definitely

3. Where's a good place to have lunch that day? - Many say that Bistro on 5 is good for crepes that day, $5 surcharge I believe. MDR might be open but only til 130-2pm

4. Where's the best place to be during sail away, and what time should we get there? - This is pretty subjective and will vary based on port of departure and time of sailaway.

3. What's a good time to have dinner that night based on the time we will have to go to the muster drill? - Muster will be before you leave, so any time after you set sail should be good.

The last night has the baked alaska parade, I enjoy that but not sure if it would mean as muchif you weren't in the MDR nightly since to me it's more about showing appreciation to the wait staff.

Edited by ariawoman

Thanks!!!

1. Cabins are usually open by 1 or 1:30, your luggage arrival times will vary, you may get some or all of it before the muster drill, or it may not be there until after you get back from dinner. If you have your heart set on wearing something specific for dinner, I would pack it in the carry on. Dress code guidelines are relaxed on the first night because of the delays that can(and do) happen in the luggage delivery.

2. Yes, it would be safest to pack a bathing suit and cover up in your carry on if you plan on immediately going to the pool. Towels will be available at the pool.

3. I like Bistro on Five(a $5 surcharge), the crepes are terrific, and if you still need to wait for the cabins to open, there are cozy seats all along deck 5 from Cafe al Bacio to wine bar(on the same deck as Bistro on 5) where you can wait. The attendant on the elevator may try to direct you upstairs to the Oceanview Cafe for lunch, but you can get off on deck 5 for Bistro.

4. I've been all around the Summit, and while The Sunset Bar(deck 10 aft walk through the Oceanview to get to it)is really nice, anywhere on deck 11 or deck 12 aft works for me if you want to be up high. There's nice outside vantage points on deck 5 too. If you want privacy and have a balcony, many prefer to stay in their rooms and enjoy the sights from there.

5. You'll be well past any muster drill activities by dinner hour if you leave on schedule(departure is usually late afternoon)so unless there's a departure delay, this should not be a problem.

The formal nights are pretty much the only thing special that goes on in the evenings in the MDR. There is a Brunch Buffet that happens(check for the day under the Cosmopolitan Restaurant notices, it's usually on a returning sea day).

Enjoy your cruise! :)

They offer guided ship tours of the public areas on the first day of the cruise, a nice orientation for anyone who is on board for the first time.

The place to meet for the tour should be listed on a handout found in your stateroom, or you can just ask.

Often they give you an introductory handout of that type along with your seapass card when you first board the ship, before you even get to your stateroom.

While you can wander around the ship on your own and find where everything is located that way, it is easier to go around with a guide who is right there with you to answer all your questions.

Being new to cruising I would advise you to read the FAQ section that Celebrity has on its' website

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faq.do?pagename=footer_pages_faq

Plus read and explore the rest of the site including the ships.

There is a lot of good info that you need to know and may answer many of your questions.

.🌴🍸🍻🍺

The Summit is a beautiful ship and the first cruise we ever took was on it. It is amazing to walk into the Atrium and be greeted by smiling crew members. I can still remember my awe and amazement on entering. Being anywhere up on deck with others looking down as the ship slides away from the dock is something you won't forget. Carry your ship map around for a few days so you can find where you want to go. But there are many maps and easy directions to be found all over the ship

Have a great time and remember to bring your good attitude with you.

When you board, there will be champagne waiting for you (or fruit punch if you prefer!) Since this is your first cruise, it might be fun for you to go to the buffet, just to experience it once. If not, I agree that the Bistro on 5 is wonderful.

Definitely bring your swimsuit in a carry-on if you want to soak up some sun, and also pack your prescription meds and any valuables you don't want to leave in your luggage.

For sailaway, the outside bar on the back of the ship is my favorite public place on Summit, but your very own balcony with a bottle of champagne really can't be beat, either!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks!!!

If interested in "chatting" in advance with those who are sailing with you, visit the "roll call" for your particular sailing. There will likely be many people on your date talking about the cruise and offering suggestions. The roll calls for most sailing dates have probably set up some kind of get-together for sail away if you are interested!

CruiseDanceMom: Welcome to CC.

A few things that you may already know but want to make sure you do:

I see you are from NJ (sorry to see the most recent news about your gov.) so I take it you will not be traveling too far to get to the port:

1. You can board pretty early, usually right after 11am. So start the vacation ASAP.

2. If it's a beautiful day, you can arrive dressed for the pool. No need to "dress-up" for boarding.

3. Check out Aqua Spa Café (by the T-Pool) it's a great spot for lunch and on boarding day no one has found it yet.

4. check out the Statue of Liberty and VZ bridge as you depart. Also listen for the bells from the floating buoys in the Narrows after you pass under the bridge.

5. we have always had our luggage by late afternoon....but there is always a chance it will be delayed.

6. Muster Drill is usually 45 minutes BEFORE departure time and takes less than 30 minutes. That will be long over by dinner if you have a late afternoon sailing time.

Happy Planning and Have a great cruise!

1. When do we get to go to our cabin, and when does our luggage get there? Cabins are usually ready when you board (by 12 noon)

2. Should we pack a carry on bag so we can change into bathing suits if we want to go to the pool? Yes! In fact, pack anything vital in the carryon- meds, swimsuit, change of clothes for dinner

3. Where's a good place to have lunch that day? Bistro on Five- $5 surcharge is so worth it.

4. Where's the best place to be during sail away, and what time should we get there? Out on the open deck above the pools

3. What's a good time to have dinner that night based on the time we will have to go to the muster drill? I can't comment on that. I would go when I was hungry, which if you don't eat lunch until 1PM then I probably wouldn't want dinner until after 7PM.

Also, we are in Aqua class and I understand all about Blu being our dining room - but are there any special nights in the MDR (besides formal nights) that are really fun and DH and I wouldn't want to miss - so that I know to go to Select Dining that night? The main diningroom food is ok- it's not going to be better than Blu I don't think. Although I haven't done Blu. The main diningroom is going to be noisy and mass produced. It is only good if you do the fixed dining IMO because there is comradery with your tablemates and servers. Otherwise, it's really like going to a nice wedding reception IMO- not a restaurant.

Thanks!!!

Hope that helps

I would go to the AquaSpa Cafe for lunch. It's a nice healthy option. And the food is good. You should have one healthy meal while on the cruise. I think.:p

If you just want to sit by the pool for the afternoon, the pool area has a grill area that serves a pretty decent hamburger. Don't know if it will be open but worth a look.

If those options don't suit then I would hit up Bistro on 5 for sure. Well worth the $5 surcharge.