Inside Passage

bones774

Hi, I was all set to book a HAL out of Vancouver to do the inside passage and Glacier Bay. The airline ticket prices for me add 200 @ tkt over seattle, but no inside passge from Seattle (it apprears). Is the inside passage worth the extra money for me. or even which is the better airport to land at? Im now thinking better off seattle stay in US. thanks

you need to do the math ... yes, it's cheaper to fly into Seattle but then you need to add in the cost of the transfers. Amtrak train, AMtrak bus, Quick Coach, Bolt Bus, one-way rental car, or Alaska Airlines/Horizon flight. You need a hotel the nite before, regardless so that's a wash.

The route that travels between Vancouver Island and the mainland is much prettier since you have scenery on both sides, plus it's sheltered so a calmer trip.

you need to do the math ... yes, it's cheaper to fly into Seattle but then you need to add in the cost of the transfers. Amtrak train, AMtrak bus, Quick Coach, Bolt Bus, one-way rental car, or Alaska Airlines/Horizon flight. You need a hotel the nite before, regardless so that's a wash.

The route that travels between Vancouver Island and the mainland is much prettier since you have scenery on both sides, plus it's sheltered so a calmer trip.

I'm totally unfamiliar with what you say. Vancouver is a much easier stop? no transfers? WHich route between Van and Mainland, that would be the Vancouver departure. I usually allow a day before in a hotel anyway, some reason not needed from Vancouver?

Thnaks

I'm totally unfamiliar with what you say. Vancouver is a much easier stop? no transfers? WHich route between Van and Mainland, that would be the Vancouver departure. I usually allow a day before in a hotel anyway, some reason not needed from Vancouver?

Thnaks

When I said "route between Vancouver Island and the mainland" I'm referring to the ships itinerary. Otherwise the itinerary takes you on the west side of Vancouver Island which puts you in the open sea.

As you noted, flights are cheaper to Seattle than Vancouver, but you need to factor in the cost of transferring to Vanc if you fly into SEA.

Sorry for the confusion, if i was to fly into Seattle I would also Embark from Seattle, but that would not do the inside passage.

I've been doing some research and the majority of folks tend to think leaving out of vancouver and doing inside passage is much more scenic. Keep an eye on airlines and watch for a drop in price.

Edited by bones774

I would think air fares will only increase at this point.

Transfers are pretty reasonable. And the evening train from Seattle to Vancouver is quite lovely ... it follows the coast for much of the trip and since we have long days in the NW, the majority of the trip will be in daylight. I think it's around 6pm - 10pm. That would give you the following morning to hang out at Stanley Park until it's time to board the ship.

Hi, I was all set to book a HAL out of Vancouver to do the inside passage and Glacier Bay. The airline ticket prices for me add 200 @ tkt over seattle, but no inside passge from Seattle (it apprears). Is the inside passage worth the extra money for me. or even which is the better airport to land at? Im now thinking better off seattle stay in US. thanks

I have done both and there are pluses and minuses.

Sailing out Seattle is a lower cost option, but the seas can be heavier the first day out and last one back in.

Scenery is better out of Vancouver, but depending on the time of year you are going, you might not see that much anyway.

Tough choice.

DaveOKC

If one wants to do the real inside passage, I would recommend taking the Alaska State Ferry from Bellingham, Wa. Otherwise, most cruise ships depart from SEA/VCR in the evening, and I would put Puget Sound/Islands and the Olympics up there as just as good of sail-away scenery as leaving Vancouver. After the sun sets, what's there to see?

Of course on the return one will have an afternoon sailing inside Vancouver Island, but truth be told, one will also get to see plenty of beautiful scenery cruising SE Alaska already.

If $$$ was a concern, I would suggest no....it wouldn't be worth it just to sail inside Vancouver Island.

If one wants to do the real inside passage, I would recommend taking the Alaska State Ferry from Bellingham, Wa. Otherwise, most cruise ships depart from SEA/VCR in the evening, and I would put Puget Sound/Islands and the Olympics up there as just as good of sail-away scenery as leaving Vancouver. After the sun sets, what's there to see?

Of course on the return one will have an afternoon sailing inside Vancouver Island, but truth be told, one will also get to see plenty of beautiful scenery cruising SE Alaska already.

If $$$ was a concern, I would suggest no....it wouldn't be worth it just to sail inside Vancouver Island.

Well between cheaper cruise price out of Seattle, and cheaper rt air i can save 2k on tickets alone, rather put that to excursions. thanks

We always fly to Seattle (RT Southwest Airlines $800 vs United $1500 RT to Vancouver) rent a car ($95) and drive 152 miles to Vancouver. This allows you to stop and purchase sodas or any other items you might want. We spend the night at the Canada Place Hotel (part of the Canada Place Cruise Terminal ($284). Post cruise taxi to Vancouver airport ($35) and rental car from the Vancouver airport to Seattle airport.

Total airfare savings for two if renting a car: $1500 - ($800+95+95+$35)=$485 savings. If you pay $30 per each piece of luggage on other airlines the savings are even higher.

Book an afternoon flight on Southwest Airlines out of Seattle for home.

If you are going to drive from Seattle to Vancouver, and return, remember there is often a long delay at the border, both ways - depending on the time of day, day of week and if there is a holiday. So factor in extra time for making flights, etc. Living in Vancouver, I don't find it worth my time and extra stress to fly out of or into Bellingham or Seattle because of the border lineups.

It's personal choice, but Inside Passage cruises from Vancouver mean smoother seas and fabulous scenery.

Thanks everyone. It's a tough decision for me about 2 k saving doing Seattle over Vanc. Im thinking about booking both passages for now, watching airline costs and cruise costs and then if one or another drops significantly I would commit to that itinerary and cancel the other, that is up till final paymen date.

Has anyone done that? or something like it?

We always fly to Seattle (RT Southwest Airlines $800 vs United $1500 RT to Vancouver) rent a car ($95) and drive 152 miles to Vancouver. This allows you to stop and purchase sodas or any other items you might want. We spend the night at the Canada Place Hotel (part of the Canada Place Cruise Terminal ($284). Post cruise taxi to Vancouver airport ($35) and rental car from the Vancouver airport to Seattle airport.

Total airfare savings for two if renting a car: $1500 - ($800+95+95+$35)=$485 savings. If you pay $30 per each piece of luggage on other airlines the savings are even higher.

Book an afternoon flight on Southwest Airlines out of Seattle for home.

Slight correction (important in case anyone wants to google it)... that's the Pan Pacific Hotel, not the Canada Place hotel.

Thanks everyone. It's a tough decision for me about 2 k saving doing Seattle over Vanc. Im thinking about booking both passages for now, watching airline costs and cruise costs and then if one or another drops significantly I would commit to that itinerary and cancel the other, that is up till final paymen date.

Has anyone done that? or something like it?

First off, I think most of us ignore the "hassle factors" involved in "saving money". If you are uncomfortable with the "fly to Seattle, get to Vancouver, get back to Seattle, fly home" idea, it does not really matter that there is a "cheaper" way to get to Vancouver, other than flying.

We learned a couple of years ago that for us, "hassle factor" is a big factor in my ability to enjoy preparing for vacation. Now, we avoid all the hassles we can avoid :D

I have not ever booked two cruises simulataneouly and am not sure that the cruise line will let you book two different cruises if there is an overlap in the dates. Your best bet would be to try and see whether or not you are permitted to do it. (I recently booked something online and then wanted my PCC to move it over to his desk, but that couldn't be done -- he was unable to have me booked twice on one cruise. YMMV)

IMHO you have the right idea about spending on excursions. That is where you really experience more of Alaska.

Another poster mentioned the Canada Place Hotel -- it is actually the Pan Pacific Vancouver.

The hassle factor for us is a big deal as well.

Since we will be arriving in Vancouver already aboard the Zuiderdam, having boarded in Fort Lauderdale, we only have to consider flying one way back to the East Coast. We could take the shuttle to Seattle and fly to Bangor, Maine, leaving us with a four hour drive home, for considerably less money than just taking Air Canada out of Vancouver.

We have elected to check into the Pan Pacific just off the ship to avoid the hassle of disembarkation and rushing to a crowded airport. The next afternoon we will board our expensive Air Canada flight for the east coast in a relaxed manner. We will be poorer but happier.

I have done both and there are pluses and minuses.

Sailing out Seattle is a lower cost option, but the seas can be heavier the first day out and last one back in.

Scenery is better out of Vancouver, but depending on the time of year you are going, you might not see that much anyway.

Tough choice.

DaveOKC

I would agree with you. We did two out of Seattle and one out of Vancouver last September. Since we departed at 4:00pm, by the time we got well into the inside passage between the mainland and Vancouver island, it was not long until the sun had already set & was sailing in the dark. Coming back in with a 7:00AM arrival, it was dark on the way back too.

I believe it would be a lot better if sailing in June/July when the days are longer and have more daylight to see the trip out, as looks like a beautiful area.

For us, we would still take round trip from Seattle as it was not worth the hassle for us to get to Vancouver as no direct flights, and a lot cheaper tickets.

David