StingRays in the rain?

MpwdMom

Looking at weather 10 days out, rain is expected in Grand Cayman for our cruise stop there next week. We'd certainly like to do StingRay excursion this time. Haven't booked it with Carnival yet. From the reviews, it sounds like it goes on rain or shine.

Have you done this in the rain? Was it miserable? Misery is relative, I know...we're late 50's. I don't like being cold & wet, but my husband's a hunter, he's used to it.

Thanks!

Looking at weather 10 days out, rain is expected in Grand Cayman for our cruise stop there next week. We'd certainly like to do StingRay excursion this time. Haven't booked it with Carnival yet. From the reviews, it sounds like it goes on rain or shine.

Have you done this in the rain? Was it miserable? Misery is relative, I know...we're late 50's. I don't like being cold & wet, but my husband's a hunter, he's used to it.

Thanks!

We did it once in the rain. It was really bad looking when we got off the ship with dark clouds all around. We met the excursion and asked if it was going to be cancelled and got "no, it will pass". We went out to Stingray City (rough ride) and the wind had the waves up. My daughter was 10 at the time and she didn't stay in the water 5 min or so because the waves were knocking her around so she got back on the boat. I don't swim and the waves made me nervous so I didn't even get off the boat. It started to rain about halfway through the time there and we rode back in the sometimes heavy rain and waves (it was cold) . My husband is a hunter/fisherman and he wasn't crazy about that either. On another cruise we had great weather and enjoyed our trip there.

At this time of year, the broad Caribbean area is going in to Dry Season mode.

Rainy Season is over.

The most you might expect is a brief shower or two, if that.

Stop worrying.

Most of those forecasts over-state the likelihood of rain, anyway.

Relaaaaax! :)

We did it once in the rain. It was really bad looking when we got off the ship with dark clouds all around. We met the excursion and asked if it was going to be cancelled and got "no, it will pass". We went out to Stingray City (rough ride) and the wind had the waves up. My daughter was 10 at the time and she didn't stay in the water 5 min or so because the waves were knocking her around so she got back on the boat. I don't swim and the waves made me nervous so I didn't even get off the boat. It started to rain about halfway through the time there and we rode back in the sometimes heavy rain and waves (it was cold) . My husband is a hunter/fisherman and he wasn't crazy about that either. On another cruise we had great weather and enjoyed our trip there.

Similar experience: Weather was fine starting out, but a squall came through while we were in the water with the stingrays. Wind picked up to maybe 35 knots, two foot waves in a messy chop and a huge deluge of heavy horizontal rain for 20 minutes. It was nasty, but 30 minutes later the sun came out and everything was fine.

Similar experience: Weather was fine starting out, but a squall came through while we were in the water with the stingrays. Wind picked up to maybe 35 knots, two foot waves in a messy chop and a huge deluge of heavy horizontal rain for 20 minutes. It was nasty, but 30 minutes later the sun came out and everything was fine.

We never saw the sun the day that we were there, it looked bad when we got there and just as bad when we left. That was in October so I don't know if that is a bad time for thunderstorms or not. The tenders were even having a hard time tying up to the ship because of the waves.

Thanks!

We were supposed to get a major snow storm last night and not a flake came down. Would not worry about a forecast 10 days out.

Very rare to get a steady rain in the caribbean all day

We were there in October 2010 and it was raining and all excursions to Stingray City were cancelled. We had booked an excursion with a company on the island, not through Carnival. It rained off and on all day but not a very hard rain. We have been twice since then and had beautiful weather and gone to Stingray City. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. The forecast can and probably will change between now and then. Have fun!

Edited by Jenny in TX

Thanks to all for the info. I feel better knowing worst case scenario beforehand. But I hope it'll be an excellent excursion!

We were there in October 2010 and it was raining and all excursions to Stingray City were cancelled. We had booked an excursion with a company on the island, not through Carnival. It rained off and on all day but not a very hard rain. We have been twice since then and had beautiful weather and gone to Stingray City. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. The forecast can and probably will change between now and then. Have fun!

That's encouraging, thank you!

At this time of year, the broad Caribbean area is going in to Dry Season mode.

Rainy Season is over.

The most you might expect is a brief shower or two, if that.

Stop worrying.

Most of those forecasts over-state the likelihood of rain, anyway.

Relaaaaax! :)

Relaxing is difficult for me. But I'll certainly try. Thanks for the weather info.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Back home and thought I'd report. We booked the Deluxe Stingray City Sandbar Tour onboard the Cayman Explorer. It was fantastic! Husband and I both loved it and will certainly do it again, given the chance.

BTW, the temp. was 80 degrees and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. :D

I had the same concern! We have a catamaran hired for Grand Cayman (23 of us) and many excursions booked in other ports and the weather forecast throughout the cruise looks like scattered showers or scattered thunderstorms! (Feb 16-23rd) I am thinking that the worst that will happen is we won't come home as tan as we would have liked.

Update: Back home and thought I'd report. We booked the Deluxe Stingray City Sandbar Tour onboard the Cayman Explorer. It was fantastic! Husband and I both loved it and will certainly do it again, given the chance.

BTW, the temp. was 80 degrees and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. :D

Thanks for coming back to let us know how your tour went. Glad you had such a nice day. We are looking forward to visiting the stingrays in May. I know I will love it. I just hope my husband does, too!

For Stingray City I would personally book through a private company. There are many recommended ones and the $ you save can get a nice souvenir from Grand Cayman. It is SO popular that there are no worries about being "off the beaten path." I recommend Nativeways; have used them for years. Alternately, the Tourist Information booth when you get into GC will hook you up with a company.