Cell phones on board

pearose

I know this has probably already been discussed, but I have not been on here in a long time. I have an unlimited talk/text/data plan on my cell phone. I just want to make sure I understand correctly, from Carnival's website, that cell phones can be used on board at no charge (from Carnival). That it all depends on your carrier and what they bill you. If I have an unlimited text/data international roaming plan but 20 cents per minute for calls, does that mean I can use my cell phone to email without any additional charges from Carnival?

Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. I am also new to the "smart phone" world as I only switched to a smart phone in December.

Thanks in advance for your help. If I can use my phone for email without having to purchase an internet package from Carnival.

You will be using the ship's tower/satellite connection. It will not be cheap. It has no bearing on your unlimited plan.

One of the nice things about a cruise is the relatively rare episode of having your ear raped by half of a cel-phone conversation.

It all depends on your carrier. Carnival cell at sea or whatever that company name is doesn't apply actually. They charge your carrier who charges you based in your plan. For example. I don't pay anything extra at sea, mexico, or canada, but a flat 25 cents everywhere else. Att however is still charged by the tower owner, but eats the cost because of my agreement.

To answer your question, who do you have, what plan, what features.

source: my job: I set up phones for nearly half of new navy personel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I have a T-mobile simple choice family prepaid plan. My line had unlimited talk, text and data. From what I can tell, I can add an international roaming package to it for an additional monthly fee. What it says under that is this:

In addition to unlimited talk, text, and data while on T-Mobile’s home network, you’re also covered worldwide with the Simple Choice Plan. Qualifying plans will automatically include unlimited data and texting in more than 100 Simple Global countries at no extra charge. And calls from covered countries are only 20 cents a minute.

Calling: 20 cents per minute from over 100 countries

Texting: Unlimited in more than 100 countries included at no extra charge

Data: Unlimited in more than 100 countries included at no extra charge

On Carnival's website under FAQ "can I use my cell phone on board" it says:

Yes, cell phone service is available on all ships in the Carnival fleet. While your ship is at sea, the cellular system is activated and you can make and receive calls, send and receive text messages, as well as view emails and browse the Internet with over 300 carriers worldwide. International roaming rates apply and are set and billed by your home carrier. Charges will appear on your regular cell phone bill. Please contact your carrier before your cruise to check rates for each service, to determine if there are any special discount offers, and to ensure your plan allows you to roam

It's all very confusing, but it sounds like data (email/internet on the phone) and texting should be covered at no charge, but calls are so much per minute. Am I incorrect?

"International rates apply". Call your carrier and tell them you'll be sailing on Carnival xxxxxx.

They will tell you to keep your data turned off unless you want a $20,000 bill :), and tell you how much per minute/text.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Tmobile... good I know their policies very well.

You get unlimited texting in any country they have a presence in. They are part of duetche Telekom which has towers worldwide. So if you are in any of their 100+ countries, you are covered under their plan for unlimited text and data. Voice is still 20 cents per min

Cruise ships however are NOT included in that deal. As ships are not part of the participating 100 counties.

Every ship has a different rate for tmobile. Most are 5.99/min. 50 cents per message sent FREE message incoming (20 cents for outgoing while in canada)

15.00 per MB

use this tool for each ship (cruise ships are listed as "Carnival: ship) AFTER all other countries. http://www.t-mobile.com/International/RoamingOverview.aspx?tp=Inl_Tab_RoamWorldwide

My suggestion, unless you have to send a message, don't use the phone at all. Check each port on the list, for example, Cayman Islands are COVERED under the free text and data, and 20 cents per minute. so use the phone in those ports. Just keep in mind data is NOT going to be 4g, you'll get standard data of about 512KB/s (4G is between 3-40MB/s)

Edited by pbsteve

pbSteve, you must have a great plan-ATT tells me I will be charged $2.49 per minute on the ship by Cellular at Sea.

I have a very old very little known "travelers plan" 4.99 per month. they stopped offering it when Cingular bought ATT cellular, which was before ATT bought cingular wireless.. but it pays to have direct access to the systems, and be able to add any feature that ever existed, even if they exist anymore :D

I have a very old very little known "travelers plan" 4.99 per month. they stopped offering it when Cingular bought ATT cellular, which was before ATT bought cingular wireless.. but it pays to have direct access to the systems, and be able to add any feature that ever existed, even if they exist anymore :D

wow an awesome fringe benefit

I'm confused about this, too. We have Sprint unlimited. I've been trying to read these boards to understand what I need to do to access email and texts.

Some posters say, turn your phone off and don't use. Others say put it in airplane mode and/or turn off data. I know last yr. Sprint changed me to an international roaming for 1 month. I don't recall what they charged for that but it wasn't much. But I still wasn't able to text anywhere, on ship or off.

We turn off cellular data. Data roaming is always off. Airplane mode is turned on and phones are turned off and stored in the safe. If you are really paranoid take out the battery. I guess for the iPhone you'd take out the sim card.

Check the International Plans of your cell carrier.

For AT&T Mexico is one rate, Carribbean is covered under 'other countries'

The plans go buy minutes the more minutes you want the higher the cost.

It is $1.99/minute when calling from your cabin.

There are also text and data rates.

http://www.att.com/att/global/

***To check email in port leave the phone in Airplane Mode and go to an internet spot. Wifi can be accessed while being in airplane mode.

Edited by SadieN

Sprint:

Remember most sprint phones are NOT international capable. Only sprint phones with gsm antennas built in will work on the ship or other countries. Ensure your phone has a sim card slot and a sim card installed. If it doesnt. Upgrade your phone, or do without it.

Voice Pricing: $2.99/minute

Data Pricing: Varies by ship see cost below

Text Pricing: Send: $0.50/recipient; Received: $0.15/msg

Edited by pbsteve

I will turn off my phone when I arrive at the hotel on Sat night before the cruise and not turn it back on until I get off the plane when I arrive at home. I am on vacation. Work can wait until I return. I work long hours every week. This is one of the rare chances to get away from the phone and computer for an entire week. The phone will be in the safe the entire week. And the laptop will be at home. :)

It not your. Cell phone carrier. It you used the ship cell service. As being out in water. Phones Saids . Cellular at sea. You are going to paid 2:50 a minute. $. 50 for a text, in coming and out going. And data charge as a few hundred dollars.

If you used in an US port I.e. St. Thomas it free. If you used it in a non Us port. Then check your carrier for charges.

Well, I don't want to use my phone for work! I def would turn it off no problems for the week. But my husband does not cruise, hates it, so I am going with my kids, and definitely want to stay in touch with him at home. So from what I am reading here, it sounds like I will be better off just to bring my ipad and buy an internet package with enough minutes to allow me to email home once or twice a day, and leave it at that. Sounds like that may be cheaper!

It not your. Cell phone carrier. It you used the ship cell service. As being out in water. Phones Saids . Cellular at sea. You are going to paid 2:50 a minute. $. 50 for a text, in coming and out going. And data charge as a few hundred dollars.

If you used in an US port I.e. St. Thomas it free. If you used it in a non Us port. Then check your carrier for charges.

Actually this is backwards. The tower is owned by cellular at sea or whatever company owns the towers. But your rates are different by each carrier because the carrier has an agreement with cellular at sea.

Your Price has NOTHING to do with who owns the tower and everything to do with YOUR provider.

As proof I don't pay anything. You pay 2.50. Att pays 2.50 Verizon 2.50 sprint 2.99. Tmobile 5.99 us cellular 2.99

Texting vary even more. From free incoming to 1.00 each. And 50 cent outgoing to 1.50 each.

Please don't spread false information.

Lots of conflicting info here...

Its simple, check with your cell provider and ask if they have a global data plan that includes cruise ships.

The fact that you have unlimited domestic data has no effect if you are roaming internationally.

I have Verizon and they offer a Global Data plan which gives you a 100MB allowance. It costs $25 per month but is prorated based on how long you have had this feature enabled for.

This works just fine. I never had to pay any per per use fees while using data on my phone while on the ship or in port. This is for data only. They have a separate option for calling and I believe that text messages are $0.05 to send/receive.

Speeds vary. Just now on our cruise that we came back from, on the ship we had a solid 1X connection. I was able to send and receive emails without any issues. Also, all cell providers should have an email address format for texting. For example, Verizon is phone#@vtext.com

This way you can send text messages to people via email and when they respond to you it will come by email as well so there are no TXT charges.

So check with your carrier. I saw ATT has several cruise ship plans but they were not cheap and don't include Carnival.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forums mobile app

Also, all cell providers should have an email address format for texting. For example, Verizon is phone#@vtext.com

This way you can send text messages to people via email and when they respond to you it will come by email as well so there are no TXT charges.

Thanks for this info!