before and after stay in honolulu

chris153

I hope this is okay to post this question here. We would like to stay pre cruise on oahu. We will be doing the pearl harbor tour one day, so hotel is not that important. But we would also like to stay post cruise, just to relax. Would like a hotel on the beach, and a nice one. Is there a beach walkway that connects the hotels in honolulu . I know there is one in maui. Thanks in advance for all your answers.

We stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village and loved it. It's a bit pricey though. It is right on Waikiki Beach (actually on the best part), and so there is easy access to the Waikiki Beach boardwalk. Also close to lots of shopping and dining. Very relaxing, and everything is right there if you never want to leave the beach! We had to take a bus to downtown Honolulu.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the same requirements as you.... don't care much about hotel pre-cruise b/c get in late night before and then doing Pearl Harbor. We booked Park Shore....got very good reviews, reasonable, and still close to everything, but not right on beach. Post-cruise we want to relax in a beautiful resort on the beach so we picked Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Have fun planning!

HHV here. I had a quick getaway available from work, so I did 5 nights there. Widest stretch of beach is right there. If you don't want beach, nice pool area to lounge at. Easy walk, either on the sand or on the street to any other place on Waikiki. I did my nightly walk along the sand down to the Outrigger for Duke's Happy Hour. Ate there twice at the bar (fish tacos, yes!!!!). Then, walked a block back to Kuhio and had dinner at Marukame Udon - amazing CHEAP noodle and tempura dinner!!!! Back to HHV via the main drag and watched the street circus...

The Outrigger Waikiki Beach is right across the street from the International Marketplace site. Probably construction would only be going on during the day, so would not interfere with sleeping at night. I doubt there would be much construction noise when you are on the beach in front of the hotel. I would call the hotel directly and ask any questions you might have. And, I would also check the very recent reviews on some of the travel websites to see what others are experiencing.

The Outrigger Reef on the Beach is a few blocks away. It is also directly on the beach. Both hotels are in the middle of all the shops and restaurants in Waikiki. In my opinion, either hotel is a great choice.

I booked the Park Shore Waikiki for my pre-cruise stay, as well. It's at the "quiet" end of Waikiki but in walking distance of plenty of dining and shopping, plus The Bus. The rooms were recently remodeled. It's not a luxury hotel or resort, but is well-rated. I'm trying to leave my afternoons free (I'll be there 4 nights) to just chill on my balcony and enjoy the ocean view (I booked an ocean-front room). they also have a small pool that overlooks the ocean. I'm not going to rent a car but have booked some tours.

Edited by OhJinkies

Are you active or retired Military?? if so I'd recommend the Hale Koa. Beachfront, next to the Hilton and a perfect piece of paradise

DoD Civilian works too. We are staying there pre- and post cruise in April.

Great rates for hotel on the beach.

I'm thinking of going to Turtle Bay post cruise. Would you recommend a longer stay Pre or post cruise?

You do realize that Turtle Bay Resort is essentially "in the middle of nowhere"? And if you're there during North Shore surf season, the road towards Haleiwa can be clogged with very slow moving traffic. It's also a very long drive to get back to Honolulu (could easily take 45-60 mins).

You do realize that Turtle Bay Resort is essentially "in the middle of nowhere"? And if you're there during North Shore surf season, the road towards Haleiwa can be clogged with very slow moving traffic. It's also a very long drive to get back to Honolulu (could easily take 45-60 mins).

I agree, & there is nothing much in the way of eating places except the hotel & shrimp trucks. It is a very nice up-scale hotel. The lobby is beautiful.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Everyone

We decided on the Hilton Hawaiin Village for post cruise. Really just want to relax after such a port intensive cruise (NCL) Still trying to figure out the pre cruise. Seems there are plenty of good hotels to choose from. THanks again for all your recommendations.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree, & there is nothing much in the way of eating places except the hotel & shrimp trucks. It is a very nice up-scale hotel. The lobby is beautiful.

Can you rent a car from Turtle Bay or is it best to hire a car from Honolulu beforehand? We are staying at Waikiki for 5 nights then going to North Shore for 5 nights. Thanks .....Donna

Can you rent a car from Turtle Bay or is it best to hire a car from Honolulu beforehand? We are staying at Waikiki for 5 nights then going to North Shore for 5 nights. Thanks .....Donna

Get the car in Honolulu. Your hotel will help you out.

Beware:Turtle Bay is so relaxing that you may not leave Hawaii. Waikiki is a fun experience, but the area is a crowded fast paced environment compaired to the very quiet and layed back North Shore.

Burt

We always stay at the Waikiki Beach Resort for our annual "staycation" before the marathon. The price is good, the beds are VERY comfortable, and you get free breakfast you can eat at the beach.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

We decided on the Hilton Hawaiin Village for post cruise. Really just want to relax after such a port intensive cruise (NCL) Still trying to figure out the pre cruise. Seems there are plenty of good hotels to choose from. THanks again for all your recommendations.

You've decided on the HHV so I hope you enjoy it, but I'll post for others who may come here with the same question.

I stay at the HHV when I have to for business reasons, but the Ali'i Tower and Rainbow Tower are the only two hotel towers of the current seven towers (building out to nine towers eventually) I would stay in. Depending on the time of year the HHV can be very, very busy and crowded. It is the 17th largest hotel in the world and is more appropriate to Las Vegas than Hawaii. And while it is IN Waikiki, it is not on Waikiki Beach, it is on Kahanamoku Beach. Waikiki Beach is the beach in front of the Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider and Outrigger Waikiki Beach.

Other hotels on the beach include the Sheraton Waikiki, Outrigger Reef and Halekulani, but hotels like the Hyatt Regency, Marriott Waikiki, etc all the way down to the Park Shore, while not on the beach have nothing between them and the beach other than Kalakaua Blvd. If you are in the Park Shore, for example, you are closer to the sand than 3 of the 7 towers at HHV.