Monteserrat Spain

I went online to book my shore excursions and a few weeks back I saw that Royal was offering a tour to Monteserrat Spain but apparently its not for our arrival date of May 9th into Barcelona on the Splendour from Brazil.

I was wondering if you could recommend my Father and I a good tour to Monteserrat for May 9th? We are looking for a tour around $ 50ish. I went online and found tours for way more. The Royal Tour with City Transfer sounded nice as our hotel checkin time is not until around 3 PM. If we could get a tour that drops us off near the L'Example that would be great.

Thanks

I went online to book my shore excursions and a few weeks back I saw that Royal was offering a tour to Monteserrat Spain but apparently its not for our arrival date of May 9th into Barcelona on the Splendour from Brazil.

I was wondering if you could recommend my Father and I a good tour to Monteserrat for May 9th? We are looking for a tour around $ 50ish. I went online and found tours for way more. The Royal Tour with City Transfer sounded nice as our hotel checkin time is not until around 3 PM. If we could get a tour that drops us off near the L'Example that would be great.

Thanks

We had a wonderful tour guide who took us to Monteserrat, and then to the lighted fountains that night. It was awesome! I can't remember price, but if you want it, email me & I'll send you the info. Will you also be going to Portugal?

Because of price, you might need to go on your roll call list to see if you can

get a group together. That's what we did, and we had an awesome time.

texascruzinlady@yahoo.com

Goto your roll call and see if you can share a private excursion with others.We did a nice tour but it was more than 50$ a person there where 4 of us , 100 euros each.It was a great excursion,we where in 8 passenger van so you could cut price by sharing.We just booked off googling Barcelona tours.At end of tour we where dropped off at Jazz hotel very new and nice ,pick up was at ship

Edited by nolimits

We were in Barcelona three days prior to our cruise. We did it ourselves and things were superb. I followed directions I got either on CC or trip advisor. The train was easy to pick up and once at the site, took the cable car up to the monastery. Just saying it is possible to do it on ones own. Have a good trip!

The Barcelona store sell two "packages" to Montserrat----the include subway--train--cable car or funicular up--entry fee ---mountain top funiculars and your return train and subway----the second one adds lunch------------very easy to do on your own

Paul

This should be moved to the Barcelona port board.

Check the Tot Montserrat or Trans Montserrat self-guided tours, you buy your tickets from the TIs in Barcelona, and you can end up in the Plaza de Catalunya

The Trans Montserrat is 27 Euros each, so within your budget. The Tot Montserrat is more, but includes lunch at the cafeteria there.

Note that if you are able to do this excursion, you are not limited to a certain day. I would recommend that you skip it entirely if the weather is not fair- you can't see as much, and it isn't as nice of a trip. You can book either of these self-guided excursions when you get there, although you do have to pay attention to your stops on the regional train- you must choose one option- the rack railway or the cable car, and they are 1 stop apart on the regional train. The rack railway or cable car both take you to Montserrat, and from there, you will have unlimited use of the funiculars at Montserrat.

And yes, you can get to L'Eixample or any other neighborhood that is served by the Metro, because either ticket includes a metro ride.

So you could take a taxi to your hotel with your luggage, drop your bags, then buy the tickets at the TI at Plaza Catalyuna, go to Montserrat and return to P. Catalyuna or any other metro stop and then check in to your hotel when done with your day trip. It is easy, but again, if it is raining or bad weather, I suggest a museum instead, it is really not the same experience in bad weather.

You can check the rail schedules, as this will make a difference in when you leave, I do recommend one of the earlier trains to Montserrat, as arriving early will put you there before the crowds. We liked the small museum there, as it was very Catalan in style, but others may be more interested in some of the other offerings at Montserrat- the choir- check the time for the daily performance, and walking on the trails.

Here is another guide with very detailed directions, including which rail line to take:

http://www.montserrat-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-to-montserrat-train.html

This is easy to do on your own, with out a guide or tour, but the Tot or Trans Montserrat tickets which bundle the transport costs into one fare are so much more convenient- you just pay once, instead of a metro ticket, rail ticket, rack rail or cable car ticket, funicular ticket, museum & cafeteria ticket (Tot Montserrat option). No extra cash needed, except small amounts for example for prayer candles in the church.

Have fun, and I hope you have a bright sunny day!

Edited by OttoCal
left out a direction.

And another guide, with train times included. The rail time from Espanya (the station that you pick up the regional train) is about 1 hour. Plan for 1 hour 30 minutes each way in travel time to and from Montserrat, and do pay attention to the rail times. It does take longer than you think to get from one place to another. You will have 3-4 hours of your day just with travel time to and from Montserrat no matter what option you choose, so do consider your time schedules for the day!

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-montserrat.html