Infinity : electronics stolen from suitcase in transit

Lolotte

Just got back from South America on wonderful cruise. The last day Dh and I, and two friends decided to book the Celebrity all day excursion from Valparaiso

to Santiago with lunch at a fabulous winery.

We were given tags for our suitcases and a letter saying that our luggage would be brought separately to a safe room at the airport where we would be directed at the end of the tour.

Well at the end of our trip, our suitcases were on the sidewalk at the entrance of the terminal, no control on who was taking what and my friends had several items missing from one of their suitcases.

Our friend called Captain's Club yesterday and was given the guest relation number for today. Just want to know if this is an isolated case.

The pile up of suitcases with no security and no control of who accesses them is standard for the South American airports, unfortunately.

I think I have a photograph somewhere of the pile from my South American trip last year. Horrible system.

Edited by cruisestitch

Very Sorry that happened. Thanks for sharing. We're leaving soon for SA/Antarctica cruise and will be sure NOT to take a X excursion on the last day.

Ditto for us....JJPacer, we're on the same cruise...maybe we should do something together WITH our luggage :)

The problem is that most flights to the uS from Buenos

Aires (and Santiago,too) leave in the evening or at night. So you have a whole day to fill. Just going straight to the airport is an uncomfortable option because the check in lines don't even open until about three hours prior to your flight. There is minimal seating and not much to do prior to being able to check in. So you face a long day at the airport or you need to find a tour of some sort.

After negative experiences with celebrity tours that end with airport transfer, I recommend that you find a private tour operator so you can control your luggage during the day better. It's not a guarantee that there will be no hassle with your luggage, but in my opinion you'll have less chance of problems than if you go with the celebrity option.

It's not just South America. I saw the same thing in Miami airport. All the bags were in a huge heap in front of the check-in. The bags were being taken care of by the cruise line (in our case Oceania). Well all of us got back to Baltimore and at least one hundred (if not more) passengers were without luggage on a NON-stop flight from Miami.

We finally got our things delivered to us 1-2 days later. Do NOT put anything in your suitcase that is valuable and certainly no electronics or jewelry. Put all valuable things on your carry on bag. I don't travel with anything other than costume jewelry since my emeralds and diamonds were stolen off a nightstand in Russia.

One of us, DH or myself pack anything like that into our carry on. We take a lot of electronics so we always pack at least one backpack to stow valuables to keep with us at all times. One time I left a couple of pairs of gold earrings in a makeup bag for a return from a business trip and I threw it in the suitcase. Sure enough, the makeup bag never made it home.

I swear in some cases they must xray the suitcases for security and tag which ones have valuables. Why else would you swipe a makeup bag?

Sorry for you're experience. Hopefully it is all replaceable.

Edited by Karen@Steve

Wow, that really stinks - for our private tour in Valparaiso our van had a trailer that we loaded and watched him lock. This is not meant to be a 'hindsight' note so much as sharing for future cruisers to that port who are reading this.

One of us, DH or myself pack anything like that into our carry on. We take a lot of electronics so we always pack at least one backpack to stow valuables to keep with us at all times. .

I don't check electronics when arriving, and they don't go in the hallway bag the night before disembarking, but these all-day tours aren't the same that I'm aware of, since Celebrity has to control all of the luggage all day.

I hope for OP's sake they have Celebrity on their side, but I'm realistic enough to know they won't :(:mad:

Sorry to hear that. Depending on the value, trip insurance or home owners insurance should cover the lost. We were on the same cruise but did a private tour that ended up at the Santiago airport. The driver no matter where we were never left the van out of his sight (even when he had lunch with us) while our bags were in it. He said over and over no place is ever safe.

Seems to be standard process with Celebrity. Had the same thing happen when using Celebrity transfer to the airport in Vancouver. We arrived at the airport and found all of the bags just sitting there, with no one watching them. They apparently had been transported separately by truck.

Contrast with our experience with Princess where we took a tour with transfer to the airport. They put our bags under the bus being used for the tour and they were handed back to us when the bus arrived.

There is a small limit through Celebrity, airlines do NOT cover stolen electronics, jewelry, liquids. You can check with your homeowners insurance...however, some do not cover items out of your home and/or car. If you have extra covergae / rider it may be covered.

Wishing you good luck!

There is a small limit through Celebrity, airlines do NOT cover stolen electronics, jewelry, liquids. You can check with your homeowners insurance...however, some do not cover items out of your home and/or car. If you have extra covergae / rider it may be covered

Most airlines publish a list, similar to the following, of items not covered:

Subject to the provisions of the Montreal Convention and the Warsaw Convention where applicable, Air Canada assumes no liability for liquids, valuables or items whose loss may cause serious damage, such as money, jewellery, silverware, negotiable papers, securities, computers, cameras, cellular phones, business documents, samples, paintings, antiques, artifacts, manuscripts, prescription drugs, or irreplaceable books or publications.

Essentially, if it's worth stealing, it isn't covered! :(

YEP!

Funny, as liquids are not covered...but you can not take the liquor bought in the Caribbean on board the plane. :confused:

Liquids are not covered because of breakage problems, not as a "valuable."

Liquids are not covered because of breakage problems, not as a "valuable."

You're right, but I don't think that anyone said otherwise. Liquids are simply included in the Air Canada insurance exclusion list that I quoted.

Edited by Fouremco

Do NOT put anything in your suitcase that is valuable and certainly no electronics or jewelry. Put all valuable things on your carry on bag. I don't travel with anything other than costume jewelry since my emeralds and diamonds were stolen off a nightstand in Russia.

Bravo! I can't emphasize it enough. No matter where you travel keep all values in a carry on bag with you!

Edited by dmk

We use cable zip ties from the hardware store on our luggage when boarding and leaving a ship. They can be cut but makes our bags more difficult to break in. Be sure to have nail clippers handy so you can cut them yourself when you need to do so.

We use cable zip ties from the hardware store on our luggage when boarding and leaving a ship. They can be cut but makes our bags more difficult to break in. Be sure to have nail clippers handy so you can cut them yourself when you need to do so.

I use those plastic zip ties as well, not to make it harder to get into the suitcase, but to keep the zippers closed together so they won't accidentally get pulled open. You can place locks, zip ties, and even chains on your zippers, but they won't keep the wrong people from being able to open the suitcase and feel around for something valuable. Using a common ball point pen, it takes less than 10 seconds to open the most used type of luggage used, even if locked! The case can be closed up even faster, and without leaving a trace since there is no damage. Watch the linked video for proof. I tried it after seeing this and was able to quickly break into my own suitcase on the first try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

Edited by boogs

I use those plastic zip ties as well, not to make it harder to get into the suitcase, but to keep the zippers closed together so they won't accidentally get pulled open. You can place locks, zip ties, and even chains on your zippers, but they won't keep the wrong people from being able to open the suitcase and feel around for something valuable. Using a common ball point pen, it takes less than 10 seconds to open the most used type of luggage used, even if locked! The case can be closed up even faster, and without leaving a trace since there is no damage. Watch the linked video for proof. I tried it after seeing this and was able to quickly break into my own suitcase on the first try.

Yet another good lesson on why you never pack valuable in checked bags! They used to use box cutters, but now there's a much simpler and undetectable means.

There's a lot to be said for using scruffy old luggage with no locks. The thieves are looking for the expensive bags with all the shiny, heavy-duty locks! :)

Edited by Fouremco

What happens when TSA wants to have a look at your luggage?

What happens when TSA wants to have a look at your luggage?

We don't use them when we fly - we put them on at the hotel or port before we board the ship and when we put the luggage out for pick up at departure. As I said, all I am trying to do is make my bag more difficult and therefore less appealing to the wrong people. I figure I have no real defense against the TSA other than not packing anything that matters, and thinking about what is in my carryon bag if asked to gate check.

Sorry, I didn't understand that you clipped them off at the airport.

We don't have expensive luggage. It's good quality, but purchased at Marshall's for a lot less than retail. TSA is always in our bags on our return trip. I open a bag upon returning home and find their little note.

We are on the Mexican border and fly to a local "international" airport so I think TSA is being super vigilant.