Final Payment vs Option Date

Can someone tell me why is it in the travel industry they refer to the Final Payment as the "Option Date". I thought the Option date just means this is the date where you must commit and if you want to cancel before the Option Date you can get a refund.

Shouldn't lay people also refer the Final Payment as the Option Date?

I wonder how many Cruise Critic Members call up Royal Caribbean or their Travel Agent and ask them when is my Option Date?

Can someone tell me why is it in the travel industry they refer to the Final Payment as the "Option Date". I thought the Option date just means this is the date where you must commit and if you want to cancel before the Option Date you can get a refund.

Shouldn't lay people also refer the Final Payment as the Option Date?

I wonder how many Cruise Critic Members call up Royal Caribbean or their Travel Agent and ask them when is my Option Date?

Technically by your description they are one in the same - the final payment date is just that, and if you decide to opt out of your cruise by that date and don't make the final payment, you will get your deposit back. You of course need to notify the cruise line or your TA that you are opting out to cancel your reservation.

It has always been referred to, with all of our cruises, as the final payment date - and don't know why it would matter to specify an "option date" instead as IMO they would be the same date.

Unless I'm missing something here....

Edited by leaveitallbehind