Magen's Bay......is it worth a visit?

OntarioTraveller

We have been to St. Thomas a few times on cruise stops and have been to both Saphire and Emerald Beaches.

We feel like we would like to see what it is like.

What are your thoughts on Magen's Bay Beach? It gets great reviews on Tripadvisor but very little acknowledgement on this forum.

I understand it can get busy but there is only one other ship in port with us.

Any opinions?

Magens Bay is indeed a very nice bay and beach. Nice calm water and gentle slope, and there are picnic tables and shaded areas at the north end and it's a little quieter at the south where there are no concessions. The girls deliver those wonderful tropical drinks and what else do you need?

I will admit that Sapphire is our beach, but Magens should definitely be experienced. The only prerequisite? Seeing Magens from Drake's Seat before going there if possible.

Have a great day, and stop by the Udder Delite on the way back out of Magens for a nice refreshing ice cream treat!

We have been to St. Thomas a few times on cruise stops and have been to both Saphire and Emerald Beaches.

We feel like we would like to see what it is like.

What are your thoughts on Magen's Bay Beach? It gets great reviews on Tripadvisor but very little acknowledgement on this forum.

I understand it can get busy but there is only one other ship in port with us.

Any opinions?

We spent a wonderful day at Magen's Bay on our last cruise, thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm looking for an alternate beach this time because so many cc reviews exclaim about the beauty of other places. I'm thinking they must be "fantabulous" because to us Magen's Bay was awesome. The water is calm and the beach is nestled within a protected area, maybe that's a negative for OP. We live near 30 foot tides and cold crashing waves so it's all relative.....

This February I'm thinking of a catamaran excursion over to St Johns Honeymoon Beach or a private sailing charter.

We have never been to St Johns and it looks like it may be worth the effort.

After pouring over countless cc reviews of Sapphire Beach, Secret Harbour and even the beaches near by (Emerald, Honeymoon Beach Water Island) St Johns looks like it may be more inviting. Complicated but inviting. Enjoy your planning and your cruise!

Cheers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As you correctly said it is all relative. We prefer Sapphire over any other STT beach, other folks prefer Magens or Secret Harbor, and the beaches of STJ are also very nice. We would base our choice on the amount of time in port. STJ is not at all a complicated trip, just a taxi to Red Hook (near Sapphire) and a relaxing 15 - 20 min ferry to Cruz Bay. Adds another 1 - 1.5 hrs to your travel time.

We enjoyed a day on the New Horizons out of Sapphire Marina, fab lunch and drinks as well. Yacht Nightwind is also highly recommended.

Edited by blue_water

Magen's Beach is one of my favorite places in the Caribbean. If you like calm, crystal clear water and powdery sand, it should not be missed. If you like waves or snorkeling, you will be disappointed.

That sums it up nicely bsbcgirl! :)

We'll be in St Thmas with 2 other ships and plan to visit Megans bay. Since this is our first port, we'll probably eat a leisurely breakfast and take our time getting off the ship. How crowded will it be, assuming other will be there an hour or 2 before us?

Edited by sellwingri

We'll be in St Thmas with 2 other ships and plan to visit Megans bay. Since this is our first port, we'll probably eat a leisurely breakfast and take our time getting off the ship. How crowded will it be, assuming other will be there an hour or 2 before us?

The earlier you get there the better. MB gets crowded in the afternoon.

You'll be fine, it will definitely be a little crowded but no biggie as there is room. No need to rush getting there. If going to Secret Harbor I would say get there early.

We have been to Magans Bay both times we were in St. T. LOVED it and are going back again in March. Its nestled in a cove and the water is so calm and crystal clear. We always get there early by 10am and never had a problem with it being over crowded. We never rent chairs, just put our towels on the beach. There is plenty of places to find shade too if you need that. Just a magnificent beach and one of my favorite places in the caribbean.

I've been to Sapphire twice, coki beach and last year Magen's.....to me, very similar but you can snorkel off coki.....

I would strongly disagree mrobstad - these beaches are so different an experience...and the snorkeling off the beach at Sapphire is great

Edited by blue_water

Our daughter and son-in-law recommended we check out Sapphire Beach after their very pleasant experience a couple of years ago. Over several months, reviews of the beach and resort describe it as boarded up and third world. Have there been any improvements in recent weeks or months? The ship offers a shore excursion to Sapphire, but if conditions are unhealthy, we are not interested. Is anyone just back?

Edited by maggie3